Bend the Law

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by bigalexe, Apr 22, 2004.

1. bigalexe

bigalexe Young 1 with big head

who here thinks that self defense laws should be bent slightly for disabled persons. i think they should because pretty much anyone has an inherent advantage over someone in a wheelchair or someone such as myself with a general body weakness ect.

if i offended anyone with a wheelchair send me a private msg dont flame my forum plz

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I thought they did... Like you said, somone in a wheelchair is at a disadvantage. A woman will be tried easier if she beat a huge guy in self defence and the a long guy will get a huge sentence if he beats a woman in self defence.

PL

3. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

First off, what kind of laws are you talking about? Like a consealed weapond (gun or nunchuka?), or some thing else?
    Also think of it this way, anyone taller or stronger or heaver than you has an advantage on you, should you get special laws for being smaller?

4. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Bigalexe, what do you mean by "general body weakness"?

5. bigalexe

i have an unidentified congenital neuromuscular disorder. so i am 16, i weigh only 65 pounds and whenever i get sick my muscles go to crap and it takes me at least two months to get back to normal. normal for me is benching a whole 20 lbs. and curling 2 1/2lbs. i fatigue faster than other people, have less body fat(actually almost none). i have always been the shortest person in school up until recently and now im like 5'. btw i have numerous skeletal deformities including scoliosis, and one leg is nearly an inch longer than the other.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In the UK the law is "bent" in the sense that you mean.

The measure of "reasonable force" is a subjective one that is dependent entirely in circumstances. So if you were attacked then your response would be "greater" than mine because your options are limited by your physical ability.

Similarly form the attakers viewpoint - If I was attacked by an 11 year old with a baseball bat my response would usually have to be lesser than if I was being attacked by a "26yr old powerlifter with rabies"

However, you are not exempt from he weapons side of things and cannot carry nunchux, swords etc regardless of how disabled you are.

7. bigalexe

thx hannibal, you got the idea