Ben Naylor, a local hero

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cooler, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Received this e-mail today from North point Community Magazine:

Ben Naylor of Rivelin School recently became a Ju Jitsu White-Belt – at the tender age of six. Not so tender, apparently, as this is quite common among martial arts initiates. Ben’s achievement is however remarkable, because he has Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus – disabilities that would prevent some people walking, let alone taking part in martial arts.
    Ben’s mum, Tracy, says she treats him like any other child. And Ben wouldn’t have it any other way – yet you can see her admiration as she watches him training. “He’s brilliant. I’m very proud of him” she beamed.
    And she’s every reason to be. Just one operation would be enough to wreak havoc in most kid’s lives. Ben has undergone thirteen so far.
    The other children in the Ju Jitsu classes get on with Ben as though it’s nothing unusual. Eleanor Shaw is Ben’s age and an example of what we might call ‘child care’. A star in her own rite, she’s Ben’s Ju Jitsu partner.
    She knows that Ben asks no favours because of his condition. He is a perfect example to his martial arts peers; under instructions passed down through generations, they strive to attain not just good, but excellent.
    Ben also does well at school. He is now at an age where he must start to use the upper school at Rivelin. But the classrooms are upstairs. Despite his ability to perform on an even surface, Ben cannot climb stairs.
    It seems the answer is for Ben to be sent to another school. On top of his day-to-day struggle with disability, this would mean that he experiences excessive distractions and emotional pulls that could adversely affect his academic work. Spina Bifida sufferers need routine – and the disruption a school change will cause couldn’t come at a worse time; Ben will be having yet more surgery during the summer holidays.
    So the determined Rivelin staff have come up with an idea. It would allow Ben – and other ‘disabled’ children to attend the junior school. It would also improve access for other disabled adults who use the school’s facilities. They’ve decided that they need to install a lift.
    Lifts aren’t something that local authorities budget for. To buy and fit a lift at Rivelin is going to cost around £20,000. Which may sound a lot – but by comparison, it’s only the price of two small cars. This is a seemingly achievable target. A small committee has been formed and they hope to launch the campaign soon.
    As Ben likes pretending to play the guitar, they figure it would be good to get things started with a musical event. Any performers who wish to offer their services can contact Pat Painter on 2341304 or North Point on 233 2908 extension 247.
    While this is all going on, Ben has not stood still. He has added a Ju Jitsu Red Belt to his qualifications. By being probably the youngest ever spina bifida sufferer to become a Ju-Jitsu White Belt, Ben Naylor is setting a precedent for others: – choose life, no matter what. Excellent? He’s certainly one of the best.

[​IMG]

North Point Website

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hmmmm....... I feel another MAP Charity seminar coming on.

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Wow - keep me in the loop would you Yoda - I would like to contribute to this.

4. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Charity seminar sounds good. its always good to hear stories like this makes us all realise just how lucky we are well apart from Greyghost :D

5. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

In all that is going one in the world that is bad, its always great to hear a story like this. I thing it is so great to see somthing like this. I would love to watch him work out some night.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Yeah, charity seminar sounds like a plan :D Maybe we could get his Ju-Jitsu club involved too

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I've forwarded this on to my Musical Connections in Sheffield.

I'll support a Charity Seminar in any way required, has anyone been in contact with the project?

8. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

If i was in that area i would love to be there.

9. karatekid

karatekid MOOOOOOOOOOOO

wen or has is it over

10. waya

waya Valued Member

There are sometimes I wish I was on the other side of the pond. This definitely qualifies.