Ben Askren

Discussion in 'MMA' started by icefield, Oct 27, 2019.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

so was it all hype?
    Was the competition outside the UFC that bad?
    Three UFC fights one victory in somewhat controversial circumstances, two comprehensive losses,
    Striking that looks largely amateur and open to getting picked off
    clinch entries which for the most part seem to consist of reaching arms out and hoping to connect before getting smacked in the face...
    So, was Dana right to leave Askren alone for so long?

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I always thought he was ridiculous for calling out GSP and thinking he would win over him. Now we can see that he isn't even close to GSP's level of skill.

He wanted more pay than he deserved. Dana White knew that. I think if the contract demands were more reasonable, he would have been signed earlier. Then, White did a dumb thing and traded him for Demetrious Johnson. That was a dumb thing to do IMO.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I dont like White and I think DJ is the greatest PFP fighter in the world and probably the best we have ever seen, but I think as usual Dana got it spot on.

DJ just wasn't popular enough to draw the big money with the US crowds for some I know reason, Askren with his mouth makes for good ppv receipts right up until he loses too many matches for people to care.

I think from a business decision White has it spot on.

axelb likes this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

As above.. Askren was unbeaten in One and Bellator. Then getting starched in UFC, whilst DJ is still undefeated, fighting bigger guys at One.

So you could argue that UFC has the better fighters. The only * next to that argument is that Askren been inactive for a long while, and said he was retiring.

(And Lawler wasnt out)

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

BJJ scout have done a nice breakdown.
    Whoever they are, they tend to be pretty on the money with their analysis.

renner's two cents

To be fair I've only seen the legal highlights so far:

axelb likes this.