Belt with Gi??

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dan Bian, May 3, 2016.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi Peeps!
    I've snuck in here from the Tai Chi/IMA boards as a favour to my sister-in-law:

Her 7yo son has just started Jiu Jitsu; being doing it for a couple of weeks, and is at the stage where she is looking to get him his first Gi.
    She's noticed that the sites she has checked on, BJJ Gi's don't tend to come with a belt - is this standard? Do students have to earn the white belt in BJJ?
    Or does it vary by school?

Help a bro-in-law out, guys! :confused:

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Normally they come with a white belt. Unless stated specifically that they don't.

EDIT: To answer your other questions, everyone just starts at white belt. Gradings can vary bit the kids bjj grading is different.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Lots of Gis are sold with belt separate.

Valor make very good inexpensive gis that come with white belts. Check em out.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Awesome, thanks guys :)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It might be as they're kids gi. But that's a guess.

Most adults gi come with one though, the tatami sports kids gi are well known to be the best in terms of size range and quality.

6. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I have 12 gis from a variety of brands. None of them came with a belt. :confused:

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

All my Gis came with white belts. Every time.

8. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Interesting. What brands/models? I have gis from Fuji, Tatami, 93 Brand, Aesthetic, Manto, Ronin and X-Guard and none came with a belt. The only one I've seen bundled with one is the unbleached 93 Brand model.

Edit: Forgot Mizuno. No belt included there either.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Mostly I see Gi sold without the belts too however usually if they do it comes straight from manufacturer. II have two inexpensive valor gis that both came with a belt. I think the entry level models are more likely to for obvious reasons. :dunno: I always buy cheap starter gis anyway as I'm not made of money... maybe I'll invest in a nice £200 Gi when I get my black.

10. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

The only ones that I've seen personally that come with a white belt are generic uniforms that are either referred to as a student gi or are marketed as a beginner's gi. Like the generic BJJ gi from Century.

11. Dead_pool

Tatami novo and estilo do, scramble do, fuji do, submission sniper do, valour do, addidas do, 93 brand do, and blackeagle did, before they went defunct.
    All direct from the manufactor, theyre always cheaper, and always have better customer service.

I now have a lot of white belts.

maybe its a uk thing.

12. Dead_pool

Ask at the Club, The rate kids outgrow Gis, they'll no doubt have -

a) A good idea of what to go for, and maybe some for sale themselves.
    b)Many many spare belts to use, As the Kids BJJ belt system is so large, gyms tend to recycle them.

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I used to find that the Gi I bought my students came with white belts, but recently the provider seems to have changed to no belts with Gi across their entire karate and Ju Jitsu ranges while keeping the price the same. They can argue that a lot of people getting Gi aren't beginners, but ultimately it forces me to buy an other item and those extra sales add up!

14. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I have 2 Estillos, 4 fujis (3 sekais and a suparaito) and the 93 Brand Meerkatsu Mandrill. None came with a belt. The only one I've seens that did was the 93 Brand unbleached model. All ordered from wholesale place in the US fwiw.