Being thrown - men vs. women

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Lily, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey Garibaldi and Rhea, thx for the perspectives :) I think you have a point. My instructor says my technique is fine though he says that I tend to tense up when some of the more advanced throws are done on me (one-handed throws, winding throws etc.). I never really had the problem when I first started but I guess as I have progressed the throws are becoming tougher and more dangerous and I haven't learnt to fully relax into them which could lead to ribcage or hip injuries.

Brido - can you expand on your statement? I don't really understand.

2. GB_Ronin

GB_Ronin Valued Member

Hi Lily,

This is the first time I've heard this question and I've been studying judo for some while now.

I think the only answer is to practice, practice, and practice until you're really comfortable with breakfalling.

Even then breakfalls should be practised every session.

Try different methods of practising to fall with and without a partner; always using the same method over and over again can lead to a false sense of security.

As an example, sometimes you can use light yaku-soku-geko training with a partner to practice falling correctly from several types of throw; you can also use this to try turning out of a fall from time to time.

But, as Garibaldi said this should be done in a very relaxed manner. Not only will you benefit from this but your partner will too, everyone wins!

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

It sounds like maybe you are tensing up too much. When I was taking Judo (and when I am falling for Aikido now) I have never noticed a problem with my hips. While it is true that women are shaped differently, its nothing that should be that noticable when you fall. When I fall, I try to make sure I land on nothing bony, so you aren't reallly falling onto you sholder or hip per se, you should have it tucked in a bit (for lack of a better expression) so that you are landing on muscle rather then bone and joint.

But that is just how I do it, and frankly, I have never had much of a problem with landings once you get over the fact that you are perposefully allowing yourself to be flung towards the ground. :D