Beginning Parkour

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kea, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Kea

Kea New Member

I'm thinking of starting up Parkour to get into better shape. I used to do aggressive inline skating and was good at it too (although never sponsored). Parkour is something I've done just messing around, UNTIL I found out that it was a sport. I know of little bits about it but anyone got any good advice on how to get good at it or any advice in general? Much appreciated, thanks.

2. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Best advice I can give is to find a group of traceurs in your area, they'll know places where you can find a good line and will be happy to help you learn. Chances are that they'll also have a regular time to go out, so you start a routine. Like anything you can read technique all day, but you won't learn until you start doing. What area are you in? I might be able to point you towards some contacts.

4. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

there probably aren't very many traceurs on saturn. there aren't any in my area either, but it doesn't really matter...you can just read one or two of the moves and go out and practice them somewhere for awhile.

5. Gary

Even a partner is better, just so they can say what looks wrong with your technique. Plus it's nice to have someone spot you when you attempt a wall flip.

6. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

or a backflip, for that matter. nobody wants to spot me though, they're all afraid i'll break my neck and then they'll have nightmares :p

7. Kea

Kea New Member

I can easily go out with a friend of mine. As I mentioned, I used to be a skater. I could probably pick up some of the maneuvers quite fast. But wall flips sound a lil' bit advanced to me, I'm used to mini-ramps. However, I think I'll be going for a look around my local area this week, with a friend. Thing is, he's gone lazy and fat since we stopped skating, so I hope he doesn't hurt himself or otherwise lol. Thanks for your replies, I'll remember who to ask if I need any help with Parkour.

8. Gary

I went from skating to parkour too, one word of advice, do not wear skate shoes for parkour. Use a pair of running shoes instead. The first time I did a decent drop in skate shoes felt like someone had smacked the soles of my feet with a sledgehammer. Start of with some basic fence vaults, practice pulling yourself up a wall and pushing off a wall with your foot. These are all great basics.

9. Kea

Kea New Member

I've done that before. Another thing is I used to have *Soap Shoes* which were really cool. I'd not worn them in something around 6 weeks.. I put them on one day thinking "I'll do some random grinds today" and left my bedroom. I started making my way to the stairs and ended up sliding down each one, thing is, I didn't end up on my backside until I was almost downstairs. That was really scary, but funny too. The adrenaline was overwhelming and I couldn't stop thinking "How the hell did I do that?!?!?" I could have banged my head or anything, it's not like you can breakfall on steps lol.

http://www.soapshoes.com/