Beginning Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hongkongfuey, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

No, age does not count. I started at 20, others here have started at older than that. You're never too old to start, and certainly not at 15.

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Yeah - I started at 16 and have no probs, your at your best in your teens

|Cain|

3. Vince

Vince New Member

thanks Cain and Kgirl.

4. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

Starting Martial Arts? try shotokan karate. It's not really easy but it's not hard to learn either. But one thing is for sure. It's the most practical fighting art there is. If you do choose to learn shotokan karate at its best, join JKA.

5. Vince

Vince New Member

the weapons for ninjutsu or kung fu... will it be given through my progress or do i need them the minute i start?

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

As you progress, you'll start to learn weapons. Timescales vary but the first thing that you need to learn is how to control your body and make it stronger. Once that is going nicely, then you do weapons.

Good luck,
    David

7. Vince

Vince New Member

Thanks David.

Hey i feel silly about asking this question but i will still ask it...
    Can you really fly when you study some martial arts? Are everything in the movies real?

(to make it clear this is not the reason why i am going to practice Martial Arts... My reason is that i want to live it out through out my life with honor, dignity and respect)

Thanks,
    Vince

8. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

What do you believe? Chances are, you're right.

9. Vince

Vince New Member

thanks

10. Vince

Vince New Member

I think the venue of the school i wished to enter was far from my house... Can i learn using video tapes of this kind of martial art? i mean can i actually learn using them? Or will i learn easier if it was real life training?

thanks

11. zun

zun New Member

Yep. Only the ones who practise Wire-Fu.

12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

"I'm no Physics teacher or Student, but I deal with sound every day.

Sound can make you sick, frightened, depressed, disorientated irritable and many other things.

The human vocal chords are unable to focus sound in the same way as a signal generator, yet sounds including harmonics can be far more influential than a sig gen producing 4khz sine wave. The human vocal chords can create complex waveforms, yet it's not just about physics. Racial memory comes into play when you consider adrenal triggers as well.

the human body cannot be explained away by the physics of the world we currently live in."

A good exampl of this is The Dave Matthews Band. Everytime I hear his voice I want to commit suicide or destry my radio.

As for weapons and ninjutsu, in my dojo and all the ones I have had the privelage to be part of, weapons are incorparated into the training in some shape of form from day one. Example, we were working on a variation of mushodori and our instructor had us walk thru the technique using a hanbo instead of empty hand, only we were not allowed to let the hanbo touch our uke. Try it, it gives a whole different feel to the technique and allows you to understand the mechanics of it better.

13. Vince

Vince New Member

thanks

what is wire-fu? where can i read about that?

14. LaRock

LaRock New Member

Hello,

I am interested in learning a Martial Art. Here is some bio:

27 year old male
    5'10", 190 lbs.
    Naturally muscular and not very limber (but would love to be!)
    asthmatic and have had lower back problems
    clausterphobic (sp?)--wrestling doesn't appeal to me
    most interested in defending self and loved ones, as well as learning the mental/spiritual side of the Art

I don't mind physically hurting someone if they are threatening me or a loved one. I'm not an aggressive person but I am very protective.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance and I really like this site!

15. Zypher

Zypher New Member

It truly is possible to boil water in your hand...

by reducing the amount of pressure on water its particles are allowed to expand and move more causing boiling to take place at room temperature...

so as long as your on a mountain somewhere or in a controlled lab condition its actually possible.

and as to the voice attack, i highly doubt that a simple voice harmonic could cause human organs to simply break down or rupture, even if a tone could be reached it would take a prolonged period of time for this to take place...

Im not saying it isnt true, but it is highly unlikely

16. Zypher

Zypher New Member

im sorry i did'nt place a box pertaining to which comment i was replying to, but it was to the last one on the first page

17. Adrift_Quasar

Adrift_Quasar New Member

My post will be similar to LaRock's. I am currently I student of Jungyae Moosul and have been training for about a year. I don't feel that I'm where I should be in terms of physical ability.

16 year old male
    5'10, 230lbs
    I'm overweight, but I've been shaping up since I started. My strength and endurance has improved as well as my flexibility. I know that I will never be a small guy since im just built big, therefore, my goal has been to build more lean mass and increase my over all strength and athletic ability. I've tried the whole low-weight, high-rep thing, and it hasn't improved my strength at all. What sort of excercise routine is best for a guy at my age with the goals I have set?

18. black jesus

black jesus New Member

I am 23, very out of shape...I do some light weight training though and no cardio, and need to get it together. I work in a bar, and I sometimes have to double as a bouncer. I know one choke hold that works every time, but one day it might not.

I live in Denton, TX, and would really like to start training, but aren't I at an odd age to start? Will I get the poo beaten out of me every day...isn't that part of conditioning? Will they make me train with the little kids? I don't know anything about this, but am very interested.

Thanks

19. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

There are countless styles I think you would find satisfying. If you are interested mainly in self-defense, plus the mental/spiritual aspects, I would look for a good kung fu or karate school (there are hundreds of styles to choose from). Considering your interests, I suggest veering away from Tae Kwon Do, kickboxing, or Judo because these tend to be more sport oriented (there are exceptions, however).

The best advice I can give, however, is to simply visit a few schools, talk to the instructors, talk to the students, and go with your feelings. A dojo or kwoon is like a home, and your fellow students are family...so be sure you are comfortable with both.

20. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

If you're been gaining strength, endurance, and flexibility with what you've been doing, then do more of that! You might consider adding some kind of cardio to the mix, as well, such as running or bicycling. Another good one is shadow boxing to music. This is not only good aerobic excercise, it also helps hone your fighting skill.

What is your diet like? Physical fitness is a combination of diet and excercise, yet people often overlook one or the other. Food for thought! ;)

"The more you do of what you're doing,
    the more you'll get of what you've got." -- Brian Tracy