Beginning Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hongkongfuey, Sep 18, 2003.

1. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Seems to be real dangerous.
    I mean, even just reading that made my eyes roll so violently i think i ruptured something.

Sweet jesus, I guess there really is one born every minute

2. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

obviously we have a non believer on our hands.
    it is as real as dim mak and as effective as jujutsu itself. just because YOU cant do it doesnt mean its not any less effective.

3. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Video please. Or is it to dangerous to record? I wouldn't want to have my eardrums ruptured through my laptop speakers! ;)

4. illegalusername

When i read this, i gathered my Ki in my Lower Dan Tien while inhaling, followed by letting out the air and Ki with a loud "HA" sound.

It went on for a while too.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I remember seeing this on Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves. The master would ring a bell purely by the power of his own kiai. I couldn't help but notice though that ever time the bell rang the master was stamping his foot on the ground.

In principle if a person could produce a powerful enough shock wave just by exhaling air or shouting, then it could be effective. The question is though. Can a person produce that amount of power? And being able to ring a bell with your voice does not mean we can destroy or damage internal organs.

I'm not convinced a person can. Ultrasound is pretty powerful technology. It can be passive enough to let us see inside people or it can be aggressive enough to destroy kidney stones and leave you peeing blood and calcium shrapnel for a month. I don't think anybody can operate at calcium busting ultrasound levels.

6. Jt Pickels

Jt Pickels New Member

Hey guys, I'm obviously new here and i'm looking to start a martial art, I'm interested in Jujitsu and i used to do Keshin Karate when i was 7-9 years old, i'm 15 now and want to try something new, Is there any Jujitsu classes in Northampton? I'm not fit as i have not been active for the past 2-3 years, do i have to be reasonably fit to start?
    Anyway thanks in advance.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I can't help you with schools but no, you don't have to be fit to start, you will get fit as you train and you can always supplement your classes with gym work to assist fitness.

8. illegalusername

Don't wait to get fit before training, get fit BY training. :)

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No. Fitness training is as much of martial arts as learning techniques and stuff. So go right a head and get stuck in.

10. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

the best way to get fit for jujutsu is as they all said, by doing jujutsu. thats what kyu's are about, you dont actualy learn any proper techniques until your a black belt, all the kyu grades are basically just getting you fit, and drilling the basics in.
    BUT you could stretch at home everyday, that helps me a TON because I can kick higher, and its harder to submit someone who is more flexible than you. not saying join a yoga group but just your normal athlete stretches do the trick.

11. Jt Pickels

Jt Pickels New Member

Ok thanks guys, i'll look around for a class i can attend, and i'll start joggin regularly. I'll let you dudes know how i'm doing when i find a class :running:

12. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

if you are too lazt too go jogging you can just use the skipping rope.
    like bruce lee said, ten minutes with the skipping rope, is more than half an hour jogging.

13. Jt Pickels

Jt Pickels New Member

:0 I so need to get a skippin rope

14. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Yeah skipping is fantastic for a workout

15. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9rl1EvJX_k"]YouTube - Kiai attack[/ame]
    it looks a bit fake but all the facts and evidence adds up

16. illegalusername

Just... where does it add up?
    And what does it add up to?

17. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

No, it IS fake. It works by effectively instilling a sense of loyalty in the students so that they believe it will work. Then when they attack their mind does all the work for them.

That guy's explanation of the body being water, etc, is complete rubbish. In order to have any effect using a shockwave on the water specifically, you'd need to hit the harmonic frequency of water. For anyone unaware of this, the frequency required is in the light spectrum and is commonly referred to as "microwave frequency". The fact that there's a cooking device by the same name is no coincidence: if you hit the harmonic frequency of water you effectively cook whatever the water is contained in.

Not to mention your own voice-box and body, plus anyone else standing within range of the emitter.

In any case, this video nicely shows why relying on this sort of technique would be a really bad idea:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I"]YouTube - Kiai Master vs MMA[/ame]

Similar idea, different far-fetched explanation of how it works, equally useless when actually tested:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrzBL2dHMI"]YouTube - 'The Human Stun Gun' Investigation[/ame]

And another:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSzSflkns8"]YouTube - George Dillman - National Geographic Channel[/ame]

Quite simply, these things do not work on non-believers, therefore they are useless techniques to learn.

Now, a kiai in itself can be quite useful, especially if your mouth happens to be fairly near someone's ear or if you have difficulty breathing while striking. Intimidation can also be a factor, but probably less of one than the correct breathing, intent and effect of the striking that is accompanied by one (or the ringing/disorientation that comes from yelling really loud in someone's ear... not a pleasant sensation). It's also possibly going to attract attention to the fact that you're in trouble if we're talking about self defence situations.

However, on its own will a kiai do anything remotely dangerous to the human body (aside from to the eardrums)? Nope. It's physiologically just not possible.

18. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

says you
    Im not looking for an argument and I cant say that it works with 100% certainty BUT if your so sure why dont you go see if you can stand getting hit with A strike from a kiai or dim mak master.

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'm sure there was a million dollars up for grabs if anyone could prove it. Considering how publicity seeking these guys are, don't you think they'd have taken the money and proved their power?

Check out the video of the Grandmaster (poor deluded fool)that challenged an MMAer to a fight. So funny!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I"]YouTube - Kiai Master vs MMA[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  20. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Most difficult because they do not exist outside of their own minds.

Had one who could face four of his own students brandishing swords but could not last ten minutes hard training.Or face me with a sword.:evil:

Save yourself time and start serious study.

koyo