Beginner in Muay Thai.Any good workouts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RemmyBonjaski, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which MA you think is best?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2011.
  1. Muay Thai?

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. MMA?

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Kung Fu?

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Capoeira?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RemmyBonjaski

RemmyBonjaski Valued Member

Hey guys,
    I`m gonna start Muay Thai Monday 21st March at London Fight Factory.
    I`ve read things about Muay Thai and i think it`s the perfect MA for me,but to be sincere i would like to have some opinions about the workout to get in shape for this as i am not to sure what kind of program should i follow at the BEGINNING.
    I know that i have to start by building some strength but after how much time should i change my workout into power & speed workout?
    What types of exercises i have to include in strength program and what types in power & speed program?
    When is the best time to include plyometrics and flexibility and what types of exercises should i do for these?
    Thanks a lot for your answers and i hope someone can give me a good weekly program if i am not asking too much...
    We keep in touch! :cool:

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Just train your muay Thai at first. It'll take a couple of days for the pain of the session to wear off at first anyway.
    If you need to do something then learn to skip. It'll give you a great workout and you'll need to be able to skip in the gym. You won't feel quite the noon in class if you can already do it

3. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

There is no one MA that's the best. It's different for everyone depending on their goals, preferences, desires ,etc. And even that may change with time. When I first started MA I picked up Judo because I wasn't interested in striking at the time. It was the best MA for me at the time because I got to develop some base grappling skills and stand up throws. Then I did some of the sport Ju Jitsu that incorporated some striking.

Through that I discovered that I wanted to focus more oh my striking skills so I began Muay Thai and I LOVE it. I couldn't afford train both Judo and MT so I dropped the Judo classes so I could focus on MT. Fortunately the MT club has submission grappling/ MMA classes so I have access to those whenever I want to grapple. I will be doing
    MMA in the future.

What is your current fitness level? How many times a week do you plan to train? Currently I have a 2day split for liftim weights, and I train MT 3 to 4 times a week. I've had no issues with overtraining but I do take a break if I'm feeling low energy or too sore. Plenty of Sleep and good nutrition is a must.

I agree with Moi. Focus on the MT training for now, then you can incorporate weightlifting when you feel it can be done without draining to much from you, leavin you unable to train MT. 5x5 and 531 strong lifts are great because you can do a
    2 day split and have enough time during the rest of the week to train MT. They focus on compound lifts that can be done explosively for power.

Goodluck!!

4. RemmyBonjaski

;)

First of all thanks a lot for the answers guys!

I`ve been going to the gym 3 times a week for the last 3 months but i`ve trained for hypertrophy,working at 80% of 1RM,10 sets,10 reps for each type of exercise + CV training(treadmill) as warm up,re-warm,cool down+some basic stretches before and after weight training.

I`m planning to train 2-3 times/week weight training+plyometrics+CV and the rest of my time will be for Muay Thai specifics(bag work,pad work,shadow boxing...)

So...it appears i`ll have to start learning how to skip and that is what i`m gonna do for the moment!

Thanks guys and i`ll be back for sure...lol! :rolleyes:

5. Moi

Skip, skip, skip! Come back the night you've trained and thank me :)

6. RemmyBonjaski

I will and i`m looking forward for that night!!!

7. Moi

Don't worry I used to be able to skip and will be spending much of this weekend getting back into it. You won't be alone. (buy an Adidas/Reebok speedrope)

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

9. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Don't bother with ANY extra training in the way of weights etc at the moment. Having seen plenty of apparently "super fit" guys come through the door then leave dripping sweat and wheezing at the end of the night I can honestly tell you that you'll just want to focus on technique for the first few weeks at the very least. That, on it's own, will usually give you a decent enough workout - and probably far different to what you've been doing on your own. After you adjust to the training, sure, add to it with some HIIT, some powerlifts etc but don't worry about anything else just now except skipping and running.

10. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I recommend you find and hire a qualified professional (good luck) to teach you how to squat, deadlift, press, row, and perform other basic movements with perfect form, utilizing the correct muscles.

You'll want to work on improving technique and building strength in your squat, deadlift, pushup, overhead press, row, and chin, assuming you don't have any joint pain or structural issues that contraindicate these movements.

If you've never trained seriously, you have a long way to go before you need to worry about power, speed work, focused flexibility work, or plyometrics. These qualities, while important, all need to rest on a solid foundation of full body maximal strength. Getting stronger in the aforementioned movements will make you faster, more powerful, and more flexibile so long as you use a sensible tempo, full range of motion, and perfect technique.

There's absolutely no reason to drop weight training while you learn the basics of a new sport, though I'm open to hearing how Master Betty would support his recommendation.

11. Master Betty

I didnt suggest dropping weight training. I said dont bother trying so supplement it yet. I appreciate that you might know what you're talking about from a personal training point of view man, but since he's talking about thai boxing and I've had a fair amount of experience training, fighting and coaching, I know what I#m talking about through simple experience. I've seen loads of guys come through the door who know what they're talking about when it comes to personal training, yet learn at about half the speed of everyone else because they're too busy up on their high horse thinking they know how to train best. Focus on the technique first, the power and speed and all that will come. The same applies to lifts and indeed, ANY other kind of training as you should know.

12. Socrastein

I don't understand the distinction. When you said don't bother with ANY extra training in the way of weights, did you mean to keep doing whatever amount of weight training you're doing but don't try to increase your volume yet?

I got the impression from the OP that he isn't currently on any strength routine and is looking for advice as to what kind of routine would complement starting out in MT. He asked specific questions about strength, power, speed, plyometrics, and flexibility.

Have you ever considered the possibility that these guys who seems to know a lot about exercise actually didn't, and therefore that any conclusion you have drawn from observing these "trainers" is unwarranted at best?

If you can't give a better justification than "Trust me, I know" then why would you discourage someone from learning some basic movements to enhance full body strength and athleticism?

I've trained and coached MT for years now as well, so let's avoid appealing to our own authority instead of making reasonable points, shall we?

13. RemmyBonjaski

Hey guys,
    I had the worst experience ever going to London Fight Factory!!!!
    My advice for anyone who wants to do Muay Thai is:DON`T GO TO LONDON FIGHT FACTORY!
    I`ll simplify the reasons like this:
    1.Only one shower(cabin) for all classes(MT,MMA,BJJ)
    2.Very rude trainer and staff
    3.Stinky and wet training rooms
    4.Stinky toilet(i said toilet because it is only one)
    5.No changing room

Do you know any good MT gym in London?I live in North London but i don`t really care how far it is but i care about quality!

Cheers!

14. Master Betty

Lol mate, you've just described about half of every muay thai, kickboxing, mma and boxing gyms ever to have existed. The quality isn't in the facilities, it's in the coaching. As to that, since I don't know them really well I can't say anything about it.

If London is your area then there's LOADS. KO bloodlines comes very highly recomended.

15. Master Betty

If he's not currently doing anything muay thai wise, nor is currently fit, then no, he shouldn't bother stressing out trying to do any other kind of training to supplement it except maybe some basic running to get the lungs and heart working as well as burn off a few extra kilos as a side bonus. As a beginner, he should focus entirely on the technique. Once he's been training for a acouple of months and is starting to feel that he can train hard enough on the other days then fair enough. Until then, he's simply slowin himself down.

16. Socrastein

Could you explain how learning good technique in a handful of important gross movement patterns (squat, deadlift, press, etc.) on off days will slow down his learning of MT techniques? I can't think of a single mechanism that would inhibit learning how to throw a good elbow or round kick due to having practiced your deadlift technique the day before.

I'm not advocating heavy lifting, so it isn't going to be an issue of soreness or muscular fatigue.

Exposing the nervous system to a variety of movements is actually beneficial to the CNS, and does not increase neural fatigue for days or anything, so I don't see how learning anything other than MT technique will inhibit the acquisition of MT technique.

Whether you realize it or not, you've made a very strong statement without actually explaining or justifying it and I'm curious as to how you might go about doing so.

17. Moi

Unless he's already fit, can't remember now, he's going to be in a whole lot of pain for the first couple of weeks. It's worth getting over those weeks before starting a lifting program.

18. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

If you still doing weights ?? Would i recommend to do 14-16 reps. I do weights 1-2 times a week. And i always do 14-16 reps. If you go down to 6-8 do you get stiff. And that's what body builders do. You want to train the condition in your muscles. This way you not lose your speed and flexibility !! Weights and Muay Thai is a good combination. Almost every K-1 or UFC fighter do weight training.... But if you are new to Thai. Would i maybe give that some time alone. And take a short break from the weights. And if you feel you have power and time to do both. Would i do Thai and weights every other day.

19. daggers

daggers Valued Member

dear god DONT EVER go to train in thailand if that put you off!
    some of the best thai gyms have the following
    1 a hosepipe for a shower
    2 staff that cant understand you
    3 scabby dogs running round the training area
    4 a hole for a toilet
    5 no changing room

go for the training and not the facility

20. Master Betty

Lol that's what I said hahahahahaa. I know of other places that only have a single large pool of water you have to douse yourself with cups from.