Beginner Boxer

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boardeaux, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

Hi All,
    I'm a long time lurker but first time poster! I'd appreciate some advice on my routine if anyone has the time please?

I started going to the gym about three months ago with the objective of getting in shape a bit for a holiday I went on last month. Since I got back from the holiday I have been a bit lazy and lost the (small) gains I had made. The routine the gym bods set me is as follows:

5 x 10 Chest Press
    5 x 10 Cable Rows
    5 x 10 Dumbell Curls
    5 x 10 Tricep Push Downs
    5 x 10 Cable Rear Flys
    5 x 10 Kettlebell Swings

Now I've recently rejoined and have just been following the same routine again to build up a base level of strength before asking for a re-program.

I have also started Boxing a couple of times a week so my routine looks something like this:

Monday: Gym (lunchtime)
    Tuesday: Boxing (evening)
    Wednesday: Gym (lunchtime)
    Thrusday: Boxing (evening)
    Friday: Gym (lunchtime)
    Saturday: nothing
    Sunday: nothing

What I would like to do is bulk up a bit as I am quite skinny (10 stone weakling!) but I know from reading other posts that this doesn't neccessarily compliment the boxing. Ideally I'd like a routine that allowed me to gain some muscle but also improve speed/endurance etc. Any recommendations?

I also know I need to squeeze in some roadwork somewhere but I am unsure what days/times to do this in relation to the above.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Welcome to MAP.

You're a beginner right in both weight lifting and Boxing? You want to be really careful at this stage that you don't get to ambitious and overtrain. To make any gains you need to have adequate rest periods in between training sessions and a good, healthy balanced diet (that means excluding processed foods).

What you're doing so far in terms of your program looks fine. Although if you're new to exercising, you might want to make Wednesday a rest day or a day for cardio only, for the first couple of months or so (just so you're giving everything time to rest properly). I would also recommend you add some leg exercises into your workout plan. You need strong legs to Box. For legs I would do them at the end of the week (dedicate Friday to legs), and start off with compound exercises; squats, lunges, dead lifts and calf raises. Aim for 3 sets of 10 - 15 repetitions of each exercise.

For cardio training, do a 5 to 10 minute warm up first before hitting the weights and then afterwards do your 20 or so minutes of cardio then. Cardio for Boxing can be done with most of the exercise machines at the gym. My personal favorite the stair climber machine. Skipping is also another good choice too (providing you don't have any existing lower joint problems), its the favored form of cardio training for Boxing as it also helps with developing and maintaining footwork. Stretching can be done after the cardio, stretching is important for Boxing for flexibility.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am a beginner to both. I was up all night last night trying to design a new more boxing specific program that had me training morning, lunch and evening but I will take your advice about not getting too ambitious just yet!

How long would you recommend sticking to this routine before changing it?

Would you recommend interval training for the cardio?

thanks

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Honestly I think as a newbie, boxing will provide enough strength training for now.

I'd save the lifting for later.

When you do start lifting properly, then squats, benching, deadlifts, rows and overhead press should become part of your routine.
    Power for punches is driven through the hips. So more lower body work is a good idea

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm not a fitness expert like some of the members here on MAP, but I know a couple of things that work. I would say stick with your program for at least 3 months (12 weeks) before adding anything else to the mix. You want to take your time when developing good habits and a strong foundation that you can build on.

A good routine for you would be 2 days of weights and 2 days of Boxing alternating. With the other 3 days of the week doing cardio. If you find it too much at the moment to do cardio on your weight days, you could use your rest days to do cardio instead until your fitness improves. Most boxers (amateur and professional alike) will do some form of cardio everyday, this could be anything from shadow boxing to skipping or going for a 3km jog, or even playing a game of basketball etc. It all counts. Its important to note too that weight lifting is a supplement for a Boxer, so if you find that you're already exhausted from your Boxing training then don't worry about lifting weights until your overall fitness has improved.

As for interval training, I'm not 100% sure about it, but some people I know of swear by it. However personally, I say do whatever works for you. If you find doing HITT gives you better results than doing cardio at a steady pace, then do it. Some exercise machines will have interval training programs that you can use. Boxing is very much a stop and go sport, so interval training would be a good option. This could be done at your Boxing gym; 2 minutes shadow boxing or hitting the heavy bag, 1 minute skipping or jogging (during the time you would normally use to rest in between rounds). Try doing that for as long as you can without rest. Then when can't do any more, take 1 round to catch your breath. During that time you can do some sit-ups if you want to. Trust me at first you'll be exhausted after the first few rounds of doing this, but its a great way to get fit.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  6. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

I have to admit it has been more of a struggle at the Gym the next couple of days after a boxing session! I am persisting with the Gym because I have only just signed a 12 month contract and the scrooge in me demands I get my moneys worth!! If it gets too much I will back off.

I like the sound of this routine. So something like this:

Monday: Gym (circuit listed above)
    Tuesday: Boxing
    Wednesday: Gym (cardio/swimming)
    Thursday: Boxing
    Friday: Gym (circuit listed above + legs)
    Saturday: Running
    Sunday: Running

For the running I plan to use podrunner intervals couch to 5k program so I can ease into interval training.

Cheers!

7. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Believe it or not, a lot of the cardio you will be, or should be, doing in your boxing classes will be sufficient enough exercise for your body for a while or at least until your body can adapt to it. Don't overdo it because long term, you'll hurt yourself more.

The beauty of boxing is that you can weigh 120 (8.5 stones) lbs but look like you're 140 (10 stones), so don't worry so much about how much you weigh. My suggestion would be to focus on getting a bit more fit first and foremost (if you're not already). Then start hitting weights on those in-between days when your muscles aren't staying pretty sore for extended periods of time.

Look at it this way, you've already paid for your annual subscription. No matter what you do at this point, you're going to pay it regardless. Just take it a bit slower right now and speed up your routine gradually.

FYI, I'm also the same weight as you and used to weigh even less when I was boxing, but I did look a lot better back then. I'm just getting back into working out again as well.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Also box and gym on the same day will make recovery easier. Box first then go to the gym. If your too tired skip the gym. You have to have rest days.

9. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

That seems sensible, I can always use the steam room for the time being!

The training session always ends with lots of bodyweight excercises anyway so maybe that will be enough for now.

Thanks all, much appreciated

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

For a beginner I would say that is still a little bit too much (especially if you aren't fit). What you've got there is pretty consistent with what an amateur boxer who is competing would be doing. So its a good program to strive towards, but to start off with I would recommend the following;

Monday: Weights (alongside with a 10 minute warm up) - back, chest and arms; push ups, seated triceps press, lat pull down, seated cable rows, bicep curls and shoulder press (2 - 3 sets of 10 - 15 repetitions). Stretches afterwards.

Tuesday: Boxing

Wednesday: Rest or low intensity cardio; brisk walking, swimming or a light jog.

Thursday: Boxing

Friday: Weights (alongside with a 10 minute warm up) - legs; squats, lunges, deadlifts, standing calf raises (2 - 3 sets of 10 - 15 repetitions). Stretches afterwards.

Saturday and Sunday: Rest or low intensity cardio; brisk walking, swimming or a light jog.

You've probably noted that I haven't recommended much in terms of weight training. That's for a few reasons;

You're better off learning how to do a few basic exercises with proper form, rather than do lots of exercises incorrectly and risk potential injury. You can add exercises later on when necessary, but the exercises I've listed are pretty much all you need for Boxing conditioning. You can do most of them with dumbbells or with a barbell (which ever prefer - with the exception of the lat pull down and seated rows). With the back exercises, the main purpose of those is to help strengthen your upper and lower back for chin ups (which you can add to the mix in the future once you're fit enough to do them).

Weight lifting is a supplement for a Boxer, the more important factor is cardio and having a strong core. Chances are you're already doing abdominal exercises at your Boxing club. If not, then here are some good exercises that you can do to help strengthen your core (do these either on your boxing days or on Wednesday and Saturday);

Sit-ups, alternating sit ups, lying leg raises and bicycle crunches. Aim for 3 - 5 sets of 20 repetitions (work your way up to doing all of the repetitions without the sets. To start off with, rest for 20 seconds in between sets and up to a minute in between exercises).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  11. TheLongRoad

TheLongRoad Valued Member

There have been a lot of good points brought up in this thread, but I'm surprised no one has asked what your diet is looking like?

If you're trying to put on weight then protein is key. I'm no nutritionist but diet is going to seriously effect your ability to reach your goals.

12. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

Thanks Hapuka, I'll give that routine a try this week

13. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

Well I'm a vegetarian so I think that may be one of the reasons why I've struggled to put on weight. I've started paying more attention to what I'm eating recently (using myfitnesspal) but its surprisingly difficult to eat the required calories to gain weight without eating a load of rubbish.

14. TheLongRoad

TheLongRoad Valued Member

Well unless you have something against milk (Which is totally cool, not being judgmental), then Whey Protein is going to be your friend in that regard.

They also make Soy Protein powder so there's that too, can't vouch for the taste but it exists.

15. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

On that note, if our buddy the OP is interesting in putting on a lot of mass, I think Muscle Milk may be the best choice. My metabolism is so fast that I've struggled with being skinny my whole life. Nothing worked, no supplements, nothing. I probably burn more in a day sitting around than most people burn working out. Then I tried Muscle Milk for just 2 or 3 months and put on 10 lbs (obviously increasing the amount I ate, improved what I ate, and had a set schedule for eating as well).

16. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

If you want to put on weight you need to eat ALOT of food and lift heavy weights. Keep it as healthy as possible if you can, but seriously eat a crap load of food, especially if your exercising everyday (i wouldnt).

Push it hard in the gym! Its good to wake up in the middle of the night not being able to roll over because it feels as if some fatty is lying on top of you and you are drained of all strength and everything hurts. If this happens, take a couple of days off and then get back to it.

Your body will let you know if your working hard enough or not.

Drink plenty of water. The bathroom tap water tastes better than the kitchen tap.

Good luck.

17. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

Some guys have faster metabolisms, but more often than not, the real reason skinny guys can’t gain muscle is because they’re not eating enough consistently.

Skinny guys who say that they eat a lot usually don’t track calories. Most skinny guys don’t have a very big appetite and stop eating the moment they feel full. If you’re trying to gain weight and you’re simply gauging the amount of food you eat by hunger then you’re not going to make much progress. I suggest you track your calories.

They eat big on occasion, meaning they’ll eat a ridiculous amount of food a couple times per week (and tell everybody they eat a ton and can’t gain weight), probably on weekends but then they’ll go right back to eating like a bird during the week. If you want to grow, you need to eat big consistently.

Some skinny guys really do have fast metabolisms, but that’s not the reason they can’t gain weight. Instead, most skinny guys lack appetite, have no idea on what it truly means to eat a lot, or don’t even make the effort track their calories.

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

19. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

My advice to a beginner boxer would be to end every boxing session with press ups, pull ups and bodyweight squats till they get awesome at them then consider a more in worth S+C program.

However if you've paid for the gym and want to use it then we may as well go for it. The routine given to you by the 'gym bods' is crap, at this stage you will make gains from anything but why not learn worthwhile movements.

I'd only lift 2 times a week with something like this:

Squat 3x5
    Overhead press 3x5
    Pull ups 3x max reps.

Deadlift 5x3
    Front squat 3x8
    Bench press 3x5
    Pull ups 3xmax reps

That should make you stronger and more awesome, if your legs are strugling with the workload drop the front squats before you drop the roadwork. Roadwork is vital.