Beginner at Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by RachelR, Jan 9, 2003.

1. RachelR

RachelR New Member

Hullo, some of you might remember my Tae Kwon do question, but, as it turns out I decided to try Judo instead. I had my first ever lesson yesterday and was a little discouraged, being the only one there that was a first starter, I felt like I couldn't keep up and felt a bit silly that I couldn't do some of the stuff.

A guy there kinda took me to the side and started showing me stuff which was nice of him, like how to fall and slap your hand on the mat kinda thing. I'm going again Thursday, it's twice a week. The question I have is, Is there anything I can be doing at home, in terms of practice that would help me get a little better at the beginners portion of Judo? Or any web sites I can go on? I am so eager to learn, but, impatient, bad I know, but I want to be able to learn at home too. My husband is a brown belt at Judo, so I have someone to practice with.

Oh, and how did everyone elses first ever lesson go?! Is this ringing any bells for anyone regarding their first ever lesson?!

Cheers, rach:)

2. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Try www.judoinfo.com , it has some techniques and a bunch of other cool stuff. Never did Judo myself but it seemed an informative site.

EVERYONE's first class is usually awkward and most people feel silly at some times. It's natural, but remember everyone starts as a beginner just like you are, even your teacher. It'll come in time and soon you'll be throwing people all over the place.

Good luck!

3. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Yes U can Practise Break falls
    U can get a punching Bag & practise Osae Komi
    Pining on the Ground

There are also good Videos out There
    From Great Judoka
    Like Neil Adams,Gene Lebell & Mike Swain
    Also U should Find a partner to do some home practise.

Keep Your Head up 7 Never Quit U can Do it
    it Does Take Time & Practice.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I don't remember my first ever lesson, but I do remember my first lesson starting back after 10 years. I thought everything was clicking back OK until Sensei asked me to Kiai. Not knowing what it meant, I just shouted out the word 'Kiai', at which everyone fell about laughing. Oh yeah, and I had to train with 6 year olds because they put me in beginners.

Keep at it Rach!

5. RachelR

RachelR New Member

LOL!! I can imagine you doing that aswell!! I'm gonna keep at it. I like it and wanna beat up Nick, (husband) He is a brown belt and throws me and chokes me (isn't that counting as domestic violence?!) all in good fun though. I think! So, now I can fight back. Soon, anyways! Got my next lesson tomorrow, looking forward to it.

6. Jim

Jim New Member

The main thing is to keep going. I tend to have student fallout on the 7th lesson. People seem very keen initially and up to the 7th time coming they are progressing and building on what they did the previous class. Then...

On the 7th lesson they turn up and are all uncoordinated and left feet, etc. and get VERY discouraged. I don't know why this happens. The only way to get over it is to keep at it and enjoy what you do.

Let us know how it works out.

7. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I practice turn-ins at home (the first part of a throw, before you actually throw). I tie a belt round my punchbag at shoulder height for this.

8. morphus

morphus Doobrey

For goodness sake DON'T give up - Most peoples first lesson feel awkward, this is for a few reasons, i.e meeting new people, not knowing anything, strange language coming from the tutor, seeing people do something effortlessly while it tasks you. BUT it's all part of the learning proccess, in a way it's like going to school for the first time, difficult at first but you soon get to make friends and you soon learn that writing and reading (or in this case throwing and pinning) isn't that hard once you have the basics down! It takes practice.

My first lesson was similar, you do get through it. Some people walk out and they just don't ever know what an experience they've missed.

Practice with your husband as much as poss', read as much judo & martial arts lit' as poss', take some good advice from this forum as poss'(not necessarily from me)

Good luck in your pursuit of martial arts exellence.

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

My first Judo lesson was a scary experience, I don't remember much apart from my mum taking me and being put on the mat by other kids a lot. Although it was a lot of fun, it was back in the 80's when all my friends we're big WWF fans :p

I think Judo is a tricky art to learn solo, takes a bit more imagination to practice throws alone ;)

10. RachelR

RachelR New Member

Rach no give up!!

I had my second lesson yesterday (thurs) and I really really enjoyed it. I'm not giving up, no way. I want to learn this and I'm gonna stick at it. Yesterday was much beter than the first. There were other beginners there unlike Tuesday and we went through things slowly and I really had a good time. Aching like nothing else today though!! I'm gonna learn to do stuff at home like falling and all that stuff. I'm gonna be reading books on Judo and web sites and all that.

The other thing I need to work on is throws. I can't think of what the throw is called but you kinda have to wrap your arm round the waist pull the other arm into you bend your knees and kinda get your hips down and then throw? I have to get into the habit of turning around 180, cos I keep trying to lift up and throw from the side of my body kinda. But hus can help me with that.

Cheers for the replies to my post, is much appreciated, If you have any other tips, help or anything, would gladly welcome them!!

Ta very much rach:D

11. Jim

Jim New Member

The throw you're talking about is Uki Goshi and one of the best for a lot of reasons.

Try not to burn out either. With a lot of things you start out because you're interested, get into it big time, then get overloaded with info.

12. Mark

Mark New Member

Uki Goshi, is the floating hip throw right? It sounds to me like it might also be O Goshi or Tsuri Goshi.

RachelR, I myself had a very difficult time imagining how to perform a throw until I memorized some of the japanese translations. Once you understand the name's meaning it gives you a better insight into how to perform the technique.

O Goshi is Major Hip and Tsuri Goshi means Lifting Hip.

I hope this helps.

13. Jim

Jim New Member

O Goshi has the hand on the back of Uki's shoulder but under his arm.

O Tsuri Goshi has the hand on the Belt but it's a different movement where Tori is lifting Uki onto the hip rather than insinuating himself under Uki's pelvic hip line and over the arm.

Or so I've heard...

14. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

i practice the basics at home and then try them in the dojang

15. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

Hi everyone, I had my first lesson in Judo today too. It felt pretty difficult and I had a hard time falling the way Judokas do. I kept on doing aikido falls rather than Judo's. I wonder if anyone else who cross train has this problem. I want to keep up with my Aikido, but I think it's pretty hard to do both art.

16. Jim

Jim New Member

It's definately hard to cross train for that reason. Perserve and I'm sure it'll work out, they're actually complimentry arts.

17. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

Thanks, I guess I was a lil' insecure that I would have to quit Aikido after so long just cause I can't adapt my body to Judo. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusion after just one class.

18. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ukemi's ukemi, theres slight differences but nothing that should have caused any problems?

Col

19. WaTer

WaTer New Member

Gotta love judo and "o soto gari' i myself take judo and gung-fu its my kinda mix. Tell me if you've heard of o soto gari.

20. remus

remus New Member

AikiSamurai,
    I was also a practitioner of Aikido and when i tried doing Judo the first few sessions i was skidding on the mat when doing the forward roll. In Aikido we were taught to roll like a ball and use the forward momentum to stand up or kneel whereas in Judo we were taught to stop when the body lands and slap the mat simultaneoulsy so when i was doing the roll i was still applying the momentum but instead of standing up or going on a kneeling position i just continue to lay on the mat while slapping it. The combination of the forward momentum and my lying on the mat made me skid and made for one hell of a funny scene.
    But during that time i was very embarassed as the six to ten year olds were able to do it better than me.