beginner asking for help (ukemi etc.)

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by johniemi, May 11, 2004.

1. johniemi

johniemi New Member

I have serious problems executing the backward ukemi. Actually to speak the truth, I think I can master (well, execute would be a much better word!) all the other necessary moves for the 9th kyu graduation but I would fail very very miserably because of the backward ukemi roll.

I have a good and patient instructor but I still haven't got it all figured out, last week when we had free training I ended up doing them pretty ok, meaning that I made the backward roll and ended up in a one-knee on the tatami kneeling position almost every time. Now after one week, it seems I have forgotten everything I self-learned last week, today's free practice session was a total pain in the *ss for me, I tried rolling backwards for 30 minutes and never got it totally right, I ended up lying sidewards, I ended up flat on the ground with my arm pinned under my chest... I had problems even starting the roll backwards.

Please, share some ukemi pointers for me that I would try to incorporate to my training next time. Thanks!

PS. Is there a book that would have pictures of all the basic stances, ukemis etc.? Or a video? I really want to polish my theoretical knowledge so I could maybe apply it better in practise. I need series of pictures or movies that I could study at my own pace outside the dojo.

-John

2. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

I'm not sure, because I'm not there to work with you on it, but I'll give you a little cheat that I concentrate on before I practise. After working through with this very slowly a few times, stop and meditate for a minute or so, then work through it with a clear mind. See what's still bothering you, then work on it again. Don't expect results right away, but keep working at it.

-/-The millisecond before your butt hits the ground, as your leg is extending, push it away from you, and up over your opposite shoulder. Use the momentum of your leg going over to pull you through the roll. Don't do this too hard though, or it will throw you flat on your back. Make sure that as soon as your back touches the mat, you start tucking your leg in, so that you finish in your stance.

Maybe after practise tonight, I'll be able to help more.

3. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

4. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

i think you will find that your teacher will only expect you to know the principals of the movement not be an expert at it, you will do these all the time and will gain the expertise in the future, dont beat yourself up over it just get the basics, everything else will slot in sooner or later!

5. jherazob

jherazob New Member

6. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Let's see, I assume it is the getting over part you have trouble with. Not the method of doing it. To say it simply it is pretty much the reverse of a front roll. I wish I could give you a site but I've never seen a site that teaches back rolls.

Okay, get into kneel position. One knee on ground and other in air. So, I guess it'd be a kneelling crouch position. Then butt onto ground. The foot that is near the butt will be the hip you roll off of. Back on ground. Curve back and lift knees to chest. Tilt the hip you rolled off of higher in the air so you will roll off the other shoulder. (right hip, left shoulder, etc.) Neck should be tucked into the chest so you don't hurt it. Once when you are in shoulder and butt in air position, extend legs toward ground and this should help you come all the way around.
    IF you end up on side instead of ready poistion you did it too slow. Speed it up or use more muscles to help hold you better so you don't fall onto your side. Try to do it the slowest possible so you can get an understanding of how you are doing it then remember how you did it. Meditation on it by visualizing how to do the move then do that. Also, try to visualize how to do the move while you are actually doing it. It'll, hopefully, help you realize you are doing something wrong when you do something wrong. Speak out the steps it'll help you remember it better.
    IF you land flat on your back. Well, you are doing it too fast.

Hardest part with rolls is speed. Once when you get that down its not that hard.

7. surgingshark

8. Kalifallen

I looked at it and got the videos on my AOL Media Player. Maybe that's the problem... Doesn't the right Media Player. Well, the buffering killed me. Too long.
    Um, the first just has front rolls, the second has breakfalls but does show two back rolls. Keyword is shows, does not teach.

9. surgingshark

I never said it would teach :) I was simply addressing the one of the original poster's requests, which was for pictures or videos.

10. Kalifallen

I know surgingshark, but you didn't say if it did teach or didn't and I just wanted to make it clear.

11. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Haven't a clue if my aikido backwards rolls are anything like yours, so I won't risk any confusion by describing what we do.

We're lucky in that rolls and breakfalls are seen as the uke's (attacker's) job, and since we're learning to defend, we aren't actually graded on rolls and breakfalls :)

We have quite a few people in our club who can't roll, even some quite high up the grades. One has taken it upon herself to learn how to roll before her next grade, though, and is receiving considerable help from our instructors. The best method proven so far is for the instructor to stand such that if she gets it wrong she kicks him. She's so terrified of doing that, that she does the roll right!!! :D

Probably not much help to you, but thought it might help to know you're not alone ;)

12. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

An interesting technique! :) That wouldn't help in my class, though, as we are often supposed to intentionally kick our opponent as we roll out!

My question is, when starting a backward roll from a (stationary) crouching position, how do you develop enough momentum to get all the way over? Getting enough momentum together is easy when you're actually falling (or getting thrown) into a backward roll, but we don't usually practice the rolls that way.

13. surgingshark

I still remember taking one of those to the jaw. Good times.