Beef Bone Fan..

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by BklynJames, Jan 26, 2021.

1. BklynJames

BklynJames Kung Fu New Jack

So our system has a form called beef bone fan. I’ve searched all of and can find no information on it. Does anyone know anything about it?

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Only what I can find on the internet

It appears to come from Hung-Ga

Ngauh Gwat Sin (Beef Bone Fan): This form, which was created by our Great Grandmaster Tang Fung, utilizes close range concealed techniques, locks, and pressure point strikes to disable an opponent. Unlike the fan forms of other styles, while still graceful, the Ngauh Gwat Sin utilizes the hard and soft Hung style techniques to demonstrate the practical yet destructive fighting spirit of our system.

3. Jamez

Jamez New Member

Spot on, thank you. But im looking for information on the fan itself. What is a Beef Bone Fan exactly.??

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Someone who really likes beef ribs.

Dan Bian likes this.
  5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'd imagine it's a fan who's spines are made from cattle bone.

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Unless it is a Chinese metaphor, Chinese martial arts is loaded with them

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Great to hear that you are still Hung-ing away Bklynjames.

Fighting fans are a thing in Chinese kung fu. often made with steel ribs. as a weapon they are pretty niche in terms of who would carry them. I suspect that they have more to do with Opera than they do with being regularly carried as a weapon in the real world. They certainly look good and sound good in performances. I personally view fan forms to be about learning short stick techniques and how to improvise short stick weapons and not so much about fighting with a fan itself.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That's quite odd as Tang Fung made a point of only teaching what he had received from Wong. He refused to teach his personal weapon,the flying meteor,to anyone.

I'm not sayin' it ain't so,but the idea that he created a form which he taught to anyone else seems questionable.Quite questionable. I cannot help but suspect that this is ....just a story .

9. Mushroom

I am struggling to think of this one though...it could be literally just be a fan using cow bone.

Mangosteen and Dan Bian like this.
  10. BklynJames

Hi Tom, Yes still humming along even in this pandemic. Im getting to class about 3-4 times a week virtually. But being im on Guandao I have to go in for the one day a week. We have a few feet of snow on the ground atm and quite difficult to swing it in piles of snow.
    But yeah Im enjoying it immensely.

11. BklynJames

What is the flying meteor? Im not sure who taught Tang Fong the fan but I would like to know more about it.

12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

:)

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

The flying meteor . Possibly the second best way to kill yourself in kung fu after the rope dart.

[​IMG]

El Medico likes this.
  14. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

You could certainly do yourself a mischief with that!

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I have an instrument made in vietnam and there are a number of inlays and components (e.g. the bridge) made of beef bone.

16. Mushroom

Hah. I literally took a 1 day class on this about 20 odd years ago. Think we tied a rope onto a ball instead of the "meteor".
    It was probably one of the easiest things to learn as you can pick up the "tricks" quite easily.

17. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Mushroom, I was about to prostrate myself before your martial prowess! But then it took a closer look at your post.

The knack to using a meteor is not learning tricks. but learning how not to kill yourself while performing tricks. Given the number of times that I have lost control and smacked myself with simple weapons like starves and swords, I elected not to learn the rope dart as discression is the better part of survival.

Mangosteen, Mushroom and hewho like this.
  18. Mushroom

I admit, i may have taken a few balls to the face, learning this.

hewho and Mangosteen like this.
  19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I salute your spirit of marshal humility, not everyone would be man enough to admit that.

20. BklynJames

Wow I missed a lot. But still Hung’ing away.. anyone around..??