Becoming a good fighter...help!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darkiden, May 16, 2003.

1. Darkiden

Darkiden New Member

I want to become a really good fighter, good enough that if I were to fight someone on the street I could have enough confidence in my fighting abilities that I know I would win. The problem is that I have never been in a street fight before…I have never been in any kind of fight before. To someone who does not care for fighting this might be a good thing, but I love fighting and I want to be a really good fighter. My question is, “what is the best way for me to become a good fighter?” I can kick head height and I am a pretty good kicker. I look and I am built physically like "Vin diesel", you know the guy from "Triple X". I am strong and fast and my height is 5'8". So what do you guys recommend? Go start a fight with a total stranger (I think that would be wrong to do)? Or go to a martial arts school? Or maybe a boxing gym? The only good martial arts schools out here in Hawaii are Wing Chun schools, there is JKD schools but I don't know how to tell if they are good or not. We also have TKD schools and Kung Fu schools in Hawaii. I want to be a good fighter and have the confidence of a really good fighter...confidence in my abilities as a fighter. So can you guys help me out?...and do you guys think it’s possible for me to become a good fighter on my own? Please, everyone’s advice on how I can become a good fighter would really be appreciated.

2. Slownsteady

Slownsteady New Member

Dardiken,

Why do you love fighting????????

M

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Looking like Vin Diesel is a good start! :D

Sounds like you want some hands on experience, the boxing club would probably give you that more than the others.....

Although JKD is probably the best all round style you mention, but its impossible to recommend any just by name. Do you know any martial artists that have been to the clubs?

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You've never been in a fight, but you love fighting?

Someone's gonna get a wake-up call.

5. Darkiden

Darkiden New Member

In reply to Slownsteady and pgm316 questions

To Slownsteady:
    I love fighting because when I sparred in martial arts or boxing for fun, or even watching fighting, I get a very happy feeling inside me. I have felt this way all my life, but my mom was against fighting so I never really got a good chance to learn how to fight:(

To pgm316:
    No, I don't know any martial artists who have been to the clubs, but here is a link to one JKD school in Hawaii. It is http://www.jkdunlimited.com

P.S. How do I choose a good boxing gym to train at? And how many days a week would I have to train for?

6. Darkiden

Darkiden New Member

I don't need a wake-up call, I know what I like

I knew someone would say this. I have not been in a real street fight before but I have been punched full force before in the stomach, and few other places, and I have also been hit in the face too...no gloves of course. I still liked it...that might sound weird, but then again I am a little weird.

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Andy gets out his Marshmallows, puts on his slippers and leans back into the chair with a knowing smile on his face! :D

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Being punched a few times isn't a fight. Its just a little pain, which'll get adrenaline and endorphins pouring through your body. In a fight you'll usually end up pretty much bruised and battered regardless of how good you are, very few people are good enough to dodge or block every single blow against them. Its not a pleasant feeling. An actual fight is not a sparring match. The other person is not trying to teach you, or to avoid killing you, they are trying to hurt you and put you out.

And pain is not the start of strength by a long way. Pain is the start of more pain. Discomfort can be the start of strength, but that's a different matter.

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Don't be so negative CKD, fightings great fun, get hit a few times, you'll enjoy it! :D

Seriously I doubt you'd have the same fun fighting as a bit of light sparring!

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Haven't enjoyed it up till now, doubt I will in future. Then again I don't often get hit, maybe that's the problem.

11. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Well, that did look like a good school until I saw the prices and then phone consultations!

Looks like it would be good quality instruction, just very expensive...

12. Darkiden

Darkiden New Member

Yes, you are right...when I say I like to fight I mean I like the challenge aspect of it...which pertains more to sparring I guess. I will never forget though, I don't consider this a fight because I was only 9 years old, but I fought someone for about 5 minutes straight and I had fun doing it. I did not like getting hit but I enjoyed the challenge of my opponent...if you can't understand that then you probably don't truly like fighting...or maybe I'm just ignorant of what I don't know. My brother has been in street fights all his life and is a super brawl fighter, and when I met him for the first time 3 years ago he agreed with me...he thinks fighting is like playing basketball, it's just fun for him, even if you get badly beaten up...it's the challenge. Well, that's the best that I can explain it, sorry if that's not good enough for you. Also, please don't talk to me about pain, because there are different types of pain besides “fighting” pain...and I truly understand pain...I have been through a lot in my life and "pain" is what has made my mind strong, and what has made me a strong person in many respects. Pain is truly the beginning of strength...for this I am certain. According to my brother it also applies to fighting as well, and I don't know anyone who has been in more street fights then my brother.

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

14. Darkiden

Darkiden New Member

Would it be possible to forget this petty bickering? I just really want everyone to answer my original question...please, thanks.

15. Raiden

Raiden New Member

Darkiden seeing how you have never been in a true fight, I don’t' think your philosophy is going to stick. It sounds like your brother has you pumped up. Once you are in a real situation, everything changes, because it's nothing like you imagine and it never goes as you plan.
    I remember training in high school, weight lifting, etc. After awhile, I felt real tough, honestly, I felt invincible. I ended up provoking a situation with a guy I disliked and who disliked me. One day at school in the bathroom, we decided to throw down. I tell you, the moment it was time to throw down, and the desire to hurt someone changed. The adrenaline rush was greater than what I was used to. I had the whole thing planned out but when it was time to rumble, the plan was out the window, we just brawled. I couldn't think straight, I just started swinging. I ended up screwing up and getting put in a headlock. Being so terrified, I was able to tear from his lock and start pounding on him. Yea, I won the fight but I suddenly realized I didn't like fighting. It was the "fun" activity I had been imagining for the past year. Not to mention, if this guy had known how to fight, I would have been destroyed. Everything I had ever learned about fighting, was forgotten and tossed out the window during the fight. A real street fight is about instincts. You don't have time to think. My point is, your first fight is usually ugly in regards to how you perform. The "shock" of what is happening is new and unchartered territory. This can be bad against an experienced fighter. I was lucky.

No offense to your brother, but I think he is crazy. Fighting is not safe. There is more to worry about than having your teeth knocked out (which to me does not sound like fun). Besides someone getting upset and pulling a knife or gun, there or other things. Let me give you an example. I used to attend a club where this one young guy named Mike attended. He was always being picked on by the regulars. He picked one of the guys who didn't like him one night, a guy that was always pushing him around, ran up behind him and kicked him in the head. The guy never saw it coming because his back was turned. He had no reason to believe this guy was going to snap that night and come after him because he hadn't even spoken to him that night. The result was the kick knocked him out and he fell straight back and hit his head on the concrete. He died 3 months later. Mike didn’t mean to kill him. He simply wanted to do something to make everyone stop picking on him. It got him sent to prison for manslaughter. Sorry for the novel, my point is, **** happens. Things can go wrong. A fight can turn into a life or death situation, even a simple fist fight. People get angry and want revenge for getting their but kicked.

Last edited: May 16, 2003
  16. Adam

Adam New Member

Go to the boxing club and see if you like getting pounded.
    Be sure to fight guys that are both better and stronger than you so that you feel what the fighting pain is properly and if you really do enjoy it. Don't fight people smaller and weaker than yourself, it will teach you nothing. The important thing is the pain, as you say yourself.
    Then, if you feel that you like the pain and can take it, you might consider beginning for real. Many people say that they like fighting and are tough, but when they show up in the gym, they are jelly.
    Alternatively, you could ask your brother to rough you up, since he's a good fighter and family and probably wouldn't hurt you very badly, but for gods sake, don't go starting fights with people who doesn't want them! Jail time's not much fun I heard.
    Raiden's got a point too about feeling invincible because you're strong.
    Try out fighting before you say you like it, because not many people enjoy real fights even when they say they do.

17. Darkiden

Darkiden New Member

You guys are all right, ok. Real street fighting is dangerous and I hope I never get into a fight as long as I live. If I do however, could you guys give me some advice on how I can become a good fighter?

P.S. Really though, thanks for talking some sense into me...I needed that.

18. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Training Atmosphere is Important

Stop in to some of the nearby martial arts schools (including the boxing school) and watch for a bit. See if you can sit in on or try a free/demo session some time. When you find a school that has instructors and students that are respectful and that you might like to be like, enroll.

In my own opinion and experience, I thought I wanted to be a great fighter (my brother and many of my friends were street fighers of varying abilities). When I began learning martial arts the irony was that the better I learned how to fight (the mechanics), the less inclined I was to fight. I didn't feel as much of a need to be the best fighter and I realized that in many cases, I could take a guy out, but then he would be hurt (he does have family and friends that love him too) and/or there was a chance I could end in prison (I cannot bear to lose my freedom).

In a good school, you'll get a chance to "fight" other people often. Granted, the fighting will be controlled in some ways, but through this you can learn to be a better fighter and try working with people of different sizes, shapes, strengths and styles. You'll get the adrenalin rush but not have as much worries of hurting someone or yourself.

By learning martial arts, I drifted away from a possibly dangerous path and ended up doing fairly well for myself. I train regularly and through training I regulate my body and mind. just don't get too hung up on the "style" or "practicality" of any system just yet. Find a school which has people you would like to be like and who are interested in teaching you well. Later, after you absorb the curriculum to a decent level, you can decide what is lacking and cross-train those skills. Good luck.

19. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

if u really wana be the best fighter u need to do grappling, kicking and punching martial arts, all i kno is wing chun for punching and tae kwon do for kicking but do yourself a favour and dont fight, martial arts isnt all about fighting they are arts

20. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

but i really do enjoy a good sparring match with someone who is better than me because you cant get better unless u have a challenge.