BBC3 Programme - Mind, Body & Kick-Ass Moves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by CFT, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I don't entirely agree- all that weightlifting paranoia and weinerism is never healthy.

2. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Rosie, as one of Chris's students, is he happy with the way the final show has turned out ? I quite like his bits, but the voice over bloke is really starting to wind me up, it seems to me that Chris frequently tries to make serious points, even if some of the arts are a bit out there, then with pop video editing and smug voice over the whole thing seems to get trivialised. It does make me wonder what has been left on the editing room floor

Neil

3. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

*Agrees with Neil*

4. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Good points Neil,

Yep, I've been wondering about the voice over myself. He obviously is trying to do a Deayton, as to the attitude.

BTW, for those interested, the first programme tonight is described as "Phillipine machete fighting" and the second one "Chinese lion dance".

Bill

5. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Labanb,
    Kindly describe the Philippine Machete feature and your thoughts on it?

6. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

FMA Machete fighting

At this point we are three hours away from the programme start! I'll let you know what I think of the programme afterwards ;-)

Bill

7. Detsawm

Detsawm New Member

Hello, personally i think that the proggramme is very good but as has been said, the voiceover bloke although sometimes comical, does make the whole thing seem pointless. Also, i have been trained to do sticky hands and i have to say that it really hasn't helped me in the slightest and i did for a year or so. One more thing, chi exists ;)

8. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

My God this program is bad! I thought people might have just been overly harsh but Im afraid if anything some people were being too lenient. Although some of the martial arts and martial artists portrayed in the show seem to be decent enough the manner they are portrayed in is completely sensationalist and robs them of any credibility they may or may not have had. For example, while filming the black tiger escrima people practicing rather slowly with real blades the host felt the need to spruce it up by commenting on how there was broken glass all over the ground (maybe there was a little but it certainly wasn't everywhere) and that there was a danger that fingers could be severed at any minute.

The segments with the host doing martial arts tricks for the public aren't exactly breathtaking either- nor do many of the participants seem very convinced. This show really does little to dismiss the 'silly men in pyjamas' view that alot of people have of martial arts, which is a shame.

9. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Todays programmes

Well now then!

>there was a danger that fingers could be severed at any minute.< You missed the followon comment - "and have been before now"!

Yep the Phillipine machete fighting turned out to be the Black Eagle eskrima people practising slowly (fair enough when you are playing with live blades) and also with padded sticks. And that wa sit as far as "machete" fighting was concerned.

The second programme featured a small a mount of Pekiti Tirsia knife work as used by the Recon group as their chosen weapon of close range work.

CKava - you are, of course, correct. The people showing what they can do are usually impressive (and strangely the narrator was less sarcastic than usual) but the inserts where Chris "teaches" the public useful self defence techniques - no I think not. Someone will try to copy them and without any training most will not work. Period.

Bill

10. DonDuuk

DonDuuk New Member

taped it last week, watched it when I got back from training.

fell asleep.

Didnt find it that good really, just my opinion.

DonDuuk

11. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Mister Smug Voice Over Bloke, ( I'd look up his name but I don't think he deserves the effort ), really annoyed me last night, his patronising comments with regards to the archers were terrible, do you think he has ever picked up a bow ? let alone fired it from horse back. I saw the archers when they were at the Royal Armoury in Leeds, and they were incredible, I keep watching it hoping it will get better, and because Chris does seem to be genuine, but I think I'm backing a loser ( the National Geographic stuff with that Canadian women is strting to seem like award winning documentary in comparison ).

Neil

12. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Its too much like a street magic show - shazam.

How poo was the blokes roundhouse at the meat factory. Anyone with a bit of MA conditioning can take a kick like that to the arm/ribs. I could if I was being paid that much to present the show.

Some of the stuff was interesting though.

13. Bouk Teef

Bouk Teef Valued Member

I've watched a few of them now.
    Although there are some interesting sections where the presenter meets and discusses technique with practitioners from a variety of MA I have to say the "Chris meets the public" sections are truely awful. This doesn't translate well into TV. I would have preferred a more informative programme discussing a range of MA in a documentary fashion without the voice-over guy.

14. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

I watched it last night & the only bit I enjoyed was the bit with the Taiwan police, the guy who introduces it makes himself look a prat with the general public in my opinion, I spoke to people in class today who have been watching it & the general opinion is it does nothing for the martial arts! Oh I was REALLY impressed with the Japanese/Samurai archers though!

15. Knight_Errant

I watched it too. The taiwan police were highly impressive- if all CMA was like that, I'd sign up without thinking about it twice.
    This program would be a lot better if chris crudelli were to realise that chi isn't real.
    The feng shui bits were, frankly, embarrassing.
    The black eagle escrima looked cool- but the one knuckle pushups on broken glass made me want to cry?

16. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Although it was only a short bit, the pool cue takedown (JJ syle) was good. You can say what you like about the series, but at least someone has actually made something to shed the martail arts image of 70's style deep philosophical thinkers or secret chessy assasin movie ninja's. i like it all in all.

17. Knight_Errant

Oh, don't get me wrong, it IS getting better. There's just room for this series to be a lot better.

18. OBCT

OBCT New Member

i did prefer josette's 'deadly arts' on A1. that was cool, did capa, aikido, karate, MT both the sport and the original martial art bongy whatever and some others i didn't get to see, but it's still a good show.
    He so wants to be david blane though, i can see it on his face.

19. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

YES! The prog with the French Canadian Aikidoka Josette is excellent, also on one of the other sat channels theres a prog called "Go Warrior" with a young martial atrs guy which is good, similar type of thing travelling around the world training in different styles.

20. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon