BBC3 Programme - Mind, Body & Kick-Ass Moves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by CFT, Aug 4, 2004.

1. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

I caught the tail end of this programme and genuinely thought it was interesting ( wing tsun part particulary) .
    I have read about "sticking hands" but never really seen it until last month or so (and even then take only TV).
    I know practitioners rate the importance of it but to a non practitioner (like me)it looks like a play ground fight at nursery :) .
    My point being that it can be quite easy to criticise something without really understanding it or experiencing it.....so no abuse please!! :D
    There was another programme on a few weeks ago (possibly based in london area)where a master would take on students blindfolded and also would dispatch around 8 of his students one after the other ,they would fly 5 feet away without much contact.A video of Aikido I watched which to be honest WAS generally VERY impressive still had bits where attackers would run in with their hand in place for some hold to be used and then leap,land and roll to the ground and this looks "dodgy".
    So I will probably try to watch the next episodes with an open mind .
    I missed the "iron penis" part(s) ,
    without being too graphic, what was it about?
    notwithstanding my ignorance of this technique I would just say that a good MA should use every "tool" at his disposal :D

2. morphus

morphus Doobrey

There were a couple of statements i liked by the wing chun guy - asked what happens to the guy when youv'e hit hit like that, his reply was "who cares?"
    & the admition that real kung fu in a fight is "messy" not like in a demo or class. Thats a good statement & applaude him for it.

3. chickenlegs

chickenlegs New Member

i also saw the wing chun guy totally blitz his students and he totally turned me off it. he looked like a big fat fraud. they threw massive air punches either side of him and he sent them flying backwards with the briefest of touches and he quickly ran out of steam, stopping the action when they got a bit too quick for him. the iron penis bit was the old chinese guys taht hang weights on their doodas, one guy apparently lifted 150kg with his.i can move about 55kg with mine and I think shes waiting for me now-lol

4. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

Hahaahhah :)

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's also easy for people with real experience of actual martial arts that work, and a wide base of knowledge, to criticise rampant mcdojo and rubbish.

6. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

This weeks episodes (16/8/04)

Well, they were better, but I still don't like the music video style editing.

At least the segments seemed to be longer covering each item.

Bill

7. xubis

xubis New Member

heh, I watched some of it, rather amusing where he tried to break the wood and didn't :D

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Watched the first episode and they do everything but fight!

9. Kosh

Kosh New Member

There were some interesting things in there that i liked but alot of it made me think...eh. Some bits almost seemed 'spoofed'.

Will Capoeira be in it? if not...why the sweatyhell not.

10. CFT

CFT Valued Member

From the programme guides, it looks like they are only featuring 'indigenous' martial arts from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and Korea.

11. Topher

Topher allo!

Most annoying part about the show is when he tries to 'show' what he would do to the wrestlers and breakdancers. He takes a breakdancing technique and completly changes it into a push kick. They seem like the couldn't care less. Breakdancing isn't a martial art.

12. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

sadly we don't get any BBC3 out here , Some of you vaguely expressed some accounts and there are those of us who visit this thread to eagerly read your impressions of what was shown. Would some one kindly give us some accounts and their impressions of the arts featured? Pleeeeease? :eek:

13. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Wing Chun - came across well i thought, showed that its strength is directness.

The shouting martial arts - seemed like a hoax

Iron Sack - does this count as a martial art?

wushu - came across pretty well. showed some dudes practising for a film. they showed him some moves. he was crap. did some wirefu.

Wrestling - he showed them some moves that were crap

Bouncers - showed them some moves...that were basic.

He did some Ma 'on the street' (like david blane or something). Showed that through breathing you can take hits and not feal it...though apparently wereing a massive coat helps.

Pushed some guy over using chi...this doesnt translate well to tv.

Some bits were very good (wing chun, wushu) some bits seemed spoofy and some bits were crap.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I love the look of that fight club pub in Taiwan (i think it was in taiwan); where you put your name on the list and get to brawl with a headguard and a pair of gloves :D

15. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Thanks, Keep em coming. :)

16. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

chi

I was wondering that myself,whether you believe it or not guys chi exists

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You religious?

Go read some of the debates, it might help you understand why some people have problems believing in chi.

18. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

?

Thank you but Where are the debates,i'd like to read them.No i'm not religous i'm Buddhist.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  19. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Interestingly enough you will find that Leo Gaje the GM of Pekiti Tirsia featured in the series compares "chi" and "ki" with Kali (FMA)

"In kali we have the "LL" instead of chi and ki, we add the "LL" to them so we kill while you chill" Meant as a joke of course because I believe they feature the metaphysical parts of the FMA while I was really hoping they show the physical or his combative FMA skills. Interesting to see how bbc will edit things to showcase their main interest and what ends in the editing floor.

20. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

I dont know about all this CHI stuff but the swinging arm around and around before punching is a tried and tested technique used by such MA luminaries as Popeye and the Three Stooges (normally accompanied by a kiyap which sounds like "Why I oughta......")
    come on admit it whose going to try the swinging arm technique to see if it works.....I bet a few of you already have! :)