BBC3 Programme - Mind, Body & Kick-Ass Moves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by CFT, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Rosie

Rosie New Member

The first two episodes of the series had to be more mainstream in order to get people watching it in the first place.

I have read the 'Chi' discussions with great interest and wonder how many of you practise Qi Gong. If any of you doubt the presenter's martial arts skills and background then may I suggest you check out the BBC website on www.bbc.co.uk and look at the link for 'Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves', this also gives you an episode synopsis for the series.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/mind_body/index.shtml

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

4. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Hi Rosie,
    Welcome to MAP! You wouldn't happen to be a BBC researcher at all would you? :D

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Oddly enough a google search on him turns up nothing other than bbc publicity.

6. Rosie

Rosie New Member

Hi budogirl

Thanks for the welcome. I know it sounds like I'm a BBC researcher but I can assure you I'm not! :)

I am one of Chris' students.

7. OBCT

OBCT New Member

It's on again in 20 minutes.

8. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Well, i do believe in internal attacks, but some of the stuff in that series was bull ****. I mean, TELL US ABOUT NINJUTSU, dont show us a guy with an iron penis.

9. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

It made me laugh!!! I dont really think it is a good advert for martial arts though!! The gut with his penis was just silly & the guy who pushed people over by shouting at them was stupid!! I am not saying it is not possible but anyone not into martial arts would have wet themselves laughing even more than me!!

10. Togakure

Togakure New Member

Im a bit peed off I have to buy a freeview box to watch other BBC programs, im already paying a licence fee, and if they want to spend money on other chanells through digital transmision they should be handing out freeview boxes to thier customers.

As for the programe I saw it advertised on bbc2 (whoopie doo, I dont have digital tv so why are they telling me?)

I hope the abolish the bbc and its stupid licence fee, either that or make it law that they cant charge a fee if people have thier channels manually disabled.

11. Adam

Adam New Member

They had a guy KOing people with his awesome kiai? Wow, I'm really glad I'm unable to watch this garbage.

12. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

I wasn't really wanting to focus on the sounds side of things as this is only a part of the picture.

However, Kiai'ing isn't a natural reaction to physical effort. You are conciously doing it to complement the physical movement.

Grunting may be a voluntary/involuntary natural reaction in the same way as shivering is a natural reaction by your body to generate heat in extreme cold. Shivering has a purpose, as does sneezing - what is the purpose of "grunting" or any other voluntary/involuntary vocalization? That's what I was getting at in my original post. Sounds are a small but important part of internal training in many chinese systems including my style - Hung Gar.

Also, you say Qi was a decent concept in its day. If Qi is about body energy then does that mean energy is a defunct concept? Like I said, I think the chinese approach and modern medicine/science probably tackle the same issue just in slightly different ways as a result of cultural/religious/technological biases.

For a detailed explanation of Qi Gong and a brief explanation of how it relates to modern biological science I would suggest you read Dr Yang Jwing Ming's book on Shaolin White Crane.

Anyways, it's a subject that will be argued about for many, many years and we won't settle it here. You have your view and I won't attempt to change it.

I'll continue to be a believer - one day I'll come up behind you and extract your wallet from your hipper with my SUPER EXTRA NO TOUCH CHI DIM MAK DOOHICKY ;)

Paul

13. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Looks like my style's masters are on tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/mind_body/masters_hk.shtml

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hey, Welcome to the MAP Madhouse. :D

Time for 20 questions I think - well 3 that come to mind. :D

Where do you train?
    What do you train in?
    How long have you been training?

Cheers. :)

15. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

With all due respect, this is a borderline strawman fallacy. The concept of 'energy' is entirely different to chi- it is not tied up with any purely mystical worldview, and produces experimental predictions and further ideas such as the laws of thermodynamics. It is not a 'healing' or a 'magic' idea. Well done for making the comparison though.
    I'm still interested in chi kung methods from an MA history point of view though, and I would appreciate it if every thread on chi in this forum didn't turn into a debate on its existence.

16. Rosie

Rosie New Member

1) Various places around London
    2) Kick Boxing, Tai Chi and Chinese Boxing.
    3) 3 years of KB, 4 months of Tai Chi and about 16 months of Chinese Boxing.

This feels like an interview for something. :D

17. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

So Rosie, what made you take up Martial Arts?
    How did you hear about Martial Arts Planet.

etc etc.

Only Joking. Welcome to the site. :D

18. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Hi Rosie & welcome to MAP.

I don't doubt the guys martial arts skills. But i do think the the chi was over sold, especially with a lot of the tricks which is what spoiled it for me.

Personally i liked the guy shouting/stamping at the bell...he was great!!

And the penis stuff?? welllllllll!

19. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

And the penis stuff?? welllllllll!

To quote Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein..."That'll make 'im popular with the ladies"!!!!!

Bill

20. chickenlegs

chickenlegs New Member

open mind

I watched the aforementioned prog last night ( Thurs ) on BBC3 , so good news for those that cant watch on Mondays.I would say to all just keep an open mind, you never know what may be the truth.i have studied tai chi, kuk sool won and now kickboxing and muay thai over the years always tried to have respect for others abilities, real or imagined.I thought it was all very frothy ,lightweight and entertaining although I have to say I found Mark a little bit up himself. I loved the big blonde wrestling bird wow look at them thighs, but I especially enjoyed the full contact sparring with the Tawian ( I think ) filmstar who if the clip was a true reflection whooped Mark's butt. His one inch punch was technically a full body weight shift rather than a full blooded strike. No doubt he will be on Sin Cities with Biff and Boff or whoever next.
    Please remember that this is just a humble honest opinion and i also could be blowing smoke, who's to say.

Burark buck buck