BBC3 Programme - Mind, Body & Kick-Ass Moves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by CFT, Aug 4, 2004.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I thought is was quite good - apart from the Wrestling. :confused:

I am fairly new to Martial Arts, and the programmes opened my eyes and ears to some sights and sounds that I was totally unaware of.

Cheers. :)

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I was appaled at everything I saw. It's no wonder the martial arts are a laughing stock.

3. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Well, I learnt that Kung Fu came from Yoga. It was worth it for that.

There were a few things that were interesting to know, but the David Blaine-esque tricks were boring and a bit unbelievable.

However, the "Biceps work against the Triceps, therefore reducing the power" comment was very interesting. Maybe I should quit Kickboxing and start Wing Chun!

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Everything? Surely not everything! :eek:

5. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Martial arts? thats where you run around in pyajamas stand on one leg and kick each other right :confused:

6. YODA

Yes - everything

7. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Iron Penis, thats all i've got to say. Oh my god, no no no. why for the love of god, no, do not ever do that, anyone.

8. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

I didn't appear to have much of a point did it. It was all very Random. Hardly informative. I wish that they showed the side to Martial Arts that we all know...

9. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Oh, dear...8-(

Hands up in the air those who hope it'll get better as the weeks progress...but really don't think it will.

Bill

10. YODA

*Hoists a hand!

11. Topher

Topher allo!

Yep, that was intresting.

I also liked The tiger never lands where the sparrow roams comment. Anyone heard that before - care to explain?

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Errrm.

Wasn't it, "The sparrow never lands where the tiger roams" ?

:)

13. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

"The sparrow never lands where the tiger roams"

If you are a small feathered bird, don't go where there are bl**dy great big cats!!

Or, recognise your limitations. Sometimes there are places you shouldn't go; you are not invincible, no matter how much you train.

Anyone else, got ideas about what it means?

Bill

14. Topher

Topher allo!

Which is why i didn't get it. I though is a bit weird - thats why. :p

15. Mackass

Mackass New Member

Dammit, that's the time when I have my JKD classes >_<

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I seen it. I have issue with the following:
    1. The WC guy said that having muscles makes you worse. I won't even waste my breath.
    2. the biceps and triceps thing is probably bunk.
    3. He said chi!

that said, the fight club bits were good and a lot of it was generally quite interesting. I'm glad I saw it.

17. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I thought it was quite good. Why do so many people around here have a problem with chi?

18. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

I think the point he was trying to make about muscle mass was that muscle gained for a purely cosmetic reason will not really benefit the person as a martial artist, and that functional strength is better, I think this is shown in free climbers, I used to work with a guy who climbed all the time, not very big but very strong, his party piece was one fingered pull ups on door frames

As for the bicep- tricep thing, he was spot on, a punch, when broken down to its simplest, is a rapid extension of the arm, a movement caused by contraction of the tricep, if there is tension in the bicep it will slow the movement down, he made an analogy about a car, which I think he paraphrased from Bruce Lee, who said muscular tension is like driving a car with the handbrake on.

I think he can be forgiven on the whole chi thing as well, I got the idea that he had trained in Kung Fu, and so has probably been exposed to it as an idea for many years, and he was in China and Hong Kong, where 10's of millions of people believe in it, he could hardly not mention it

We have to bear in mind who they are aiming this program at, and its not people like us who have been training for years, and if it even gets just one person somewhere training for the first time, hasn't it done its job ?

That said, it still won't be as good as The Way of The Warrior, back when the beeb didn't pander to pop culture quite so much

Neil

19. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Was the Chow Gar southern mantis on there? with GM's Ip Shui and Ip Chee Keung?

20. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The first time I can say "I'm glad I dont have digital," because from what you guys are saying, it sounds rubbish.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004