BBC3 Programme - Mind, Body & Kick-Ass Moves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by CFT, Aug 4, 2004.

1. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Alright you lucky people, do not miss this series on digital channel BBC3:

Mind, Body & Kick Ass Moves

Martial arts expert Chris Crudelli travels through China, Japan and the Philippines in his search for the original Masters of martial arts disciplines. He learns about ninja, tai qi, kung fu, the deadly dim mak and many more.

Episodes
    Episodes 1 & 2
    Monday 9 August, 9pm
    Monday 9 August, 9.30pm

Episodes 3 & 4
    Monday 16 August, 9.00pm
    Monday 16 August, 9.30pm

Episodes 5 & 6
    Monday 23 August, 9.00pm
    Monday 23 August, 9.30pm

Episodes 7 & 8
    Monday 30 August, 9.00pm
    Monday 30 August, 9.30pm

Episodes 9 & 10
    Monday 6 September, 9.00pm
    Monday 6 September, 9.30pm

Topics covered

China: Yang Style Tai Qi (Chi), Liang Yi Dian Xue Gong Fu (Dim Mak), Wushu

Hong Kong: Shen Gong (Spirit channeling), Chow Gar (Southern) Praying Mantis, Wing Chun, Wing Tsun, Fut Gar Kung Fu

Japan: Yabusame, Ninjutsu, Shintaido-ryu, Komagawa kaishin-ryu

Philippines: Pekiti Tirsia Kali, Modern Arnis / Kombatan, Bakbakan International (Kali Illustrisimo), Haring Bakal Group

Taiwan: San Da, Taipei's Fight Club, Taiwan Shaolin Temple Wushu Association, Iron Crotch Qigong (Jiu Jiu Shen Gong)

2. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

if it's any good they'll show it on BBC2 (I hope)

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I've got to think of a way to remember that these programmes are on. :(

I usually blummin miss them!

4. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Yes, and not on a Monday night when I train!!! :D

5. CFT

CFT Valued Member

I know you people have heard of video recorders, and that you are young enough to figure out how to program the timer record (not like old codgers like me!).

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

If you've got a mobile phone set up a reminder an hour before the show starts. Or you could do what my mate does and stick a bit of paper over the buttons of his tv with details of when the programme starts. ;)

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You know, there are times when I'm very, very glad that I don't own a television.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Next, you'll be telling us that you don't have a computer either. :D

j/k

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Does it count if I have a laptop that's blown up, and is about as effective as a paperweight?

I've got a, uh, borrowed computer from work. :D

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

isn't it one of those ones where they think ki is real?
    might be worth it if you're after comedy :D

11. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

If I've indoors and want to watch something later on, I programme my tv to switch on at the start time and channel of the programme. My tv's a 20 inch Daiwoo (sp?) a TV/VCR combo but the VCR never worked :confused: I do have a separate VCR but that's got a tape stuck in it!!
    It does astound me how many people find it hard to programme working VCRs though... :D

12. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

CFT, thanks for the posting - I would have missed this otherwise!

How about setting up a thread or something within the calendar that TV programs can be added to?

13. CFT

CFT Valued Member

14. Knight_Errant

Nurse, Bucket.

15. CFT

CFT Valued Member

You forgot the 'spirit channeling' kung fu!!

A bit judgemental aren't we? Despite the spectacular title, we have no idea about the tone of these programmes. They could be quite serious.

Also, despite some outlandish claims about the efficacy of ninjutsu and dim mak techniques, there just could be some gems in these systems - just might not be as effective as all the 'stories' make out.

So if after Monday night you think it is still crap, and can articulate it in a constructive way, then I'll pay attention. Until then, just reserve judgement, OK? Thank you, really.

16. Knight_Errant

Oh, OK. Spoilsport. Just keepin up the cynicism shields :D

17. CFT

CFT Valued Member

No problem, just don't jump the gun, cause then I'll have to disqualify you and I don't want you blubbing like Paul Gascoigne at Italia '90. ;)

18. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

BBC3 series

Hi,

I was contacted by the production company (August Productions) last year for contacts in the Phillipines. According to the company contact, Chris will be going around the UK doing "martial art tricks" and then back to the three countries already mentioned to investigate the "spiritual" aspects of their arts.

Whilst I can see it being sensationalist in this country (Chi demonstrations etc), hopefully it won't be too sensational once he gets to Japan/China/Phillipines.

Bill

19. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Grandmaster Ip Shui of Chow Gar style is featured on the 9th (Hong Kong). The filming occurred just shortly before his death aged 91 in April. His son, Grandmaster Ip Chee Keung is also in the programme. Apparently he's shown in the trailers for the show.

It seems like once a year, I wish I had a tv...

Rgds,
    David

20. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

Well, what did people think?
    My vote goes for 'sensationalist rubbish'.
    People already think we're a bit unhinged! Dont even get me started on the crazy penis guy!:eek:
    I cant face watching the next episode..... :(