Battling Ropes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KSW_123, Jun 22, 2010.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Has anyone else on here tried Battling Ropes? I am a big fan of John Brookfield's grip work and when I found this I had to try. It is a bloody hard workout. In case you haven't seen it here is a video sample, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actm8mlSlJc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actm8mlSlJc[/ame]. The basic idea is that there is no rest phase. You must always add energy to the wave or else you can't keep the wave going to the end of the rope.

I still think it is one of the rather sillier looking excerises out there, but now that I have tried it, I don't care. I have only done the level one wave system so far. I just ordered my rope pole from swagerstrength.com and I can't wait to try out that aspect of rope training.

I have been doing intervals, 30 seconds on 30 off for 20 minutes. It is murder. Near the end I can barely keep a wave going. With work I hope to reduce the rest phase and increase intensity.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Are the ropes themselves heavy?

3. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Just standard 2" thick poly rope, so not really heavy. I have a 100 ft rope it probably weighs about 50 lbs.

The more energy you put into the rope in the down swing, the more it takes for the up swing, and it takes more energy to hold your position. The ropes pull you when you get a good wave going.

The way to measure your progress is how far down the rope you can maintain the wave and for how long.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I can say without a doubt... hard as. One of the places I train we have a full ropes set up. Man... talk about ass kicking!!!

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Check out from 3:40 on this vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLZ7EOJdeI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLZ7EOJdeI[/ame]

If Brock Lesnar is battling ropes then the ropes are losing. :)
    That man is something else.

6. slipthejab

Great little clip that. Love to see what those guys are doing in terms of training. Randy's class. And so are the others... Brock included... don't think many can separate the hype and gloss of the promotion and all that from the day to day reality of athletes who train hard hard and HARD. The amount of talent that is stored up in the ranks of the NCAA fighters must be insane!

- The escape that Lesnar pulls at 3:23 is freakin' explosive! wow. So much for the myth of big guys being slow.
    - The sledge/tire work by Randy at 4:16 looks killer

Thanks for posting.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. seiken steve

I just presumed it was quite heavy when he was shoulder pressing it but it doesn't look all that heavy.
    Can't say i've ever used ropes but it looks alright fun. :)

8. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

The shoulder pressing one is very hard for me to keep the wave going.

There are partner ropes, 16.5 feet long. I would hate to do those with Brock Lesnar. He'd probably rip my arms off.

9. seiken steve

and head.

because he can.

10. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I got my rope pole in the beginning of July, from here if any is interested http://www.swagerstrength.com/index.html, and I am loving the pulling exercises. The simple idea is to pile up the rope on one side of the pole, wrap one end of the rope around the pole, and pull through to the end of the rope. Switch sides then repeat. It is a stength endurance exercise so you want to pull through as many times as possible. It gets hard fast and when that rope slows down it gets real hard to keep it going. There are a tremendous number of postions that you do the pulling from.

If you ever get the chance to try this out I highly recommend it. It is a whole lot of fun (and pain).

11. slipthejab

Some killer bits of kit they sell on that site. I'm off to the machinists shop to have some made! :p

12. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Matt Hugues and Shawn Sherk both used the ropes for there training, think Lesner got on this too, they use real rops but the one you order looks real good.

This site is quite incredible might check to buy some stuff for my home gym as well, thanks for the link

13. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Brock has scary speed and explosiveness. I was thinking the same thing slip was at that escape.

Just getting into this rope stuff awesome thread guys.

14. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Yeah they have some great stuff and the people that work seem to be a great bunch of folks as well. I have their pinch grip plate which in my opinion is a must have for anyone into grip. After using that pinching plates together just doesn't cut it. The Diesel Crew guys have some exercise for the pinch grip plate. I intend on getting a few bulgarian bags and wrestling dummy soon. I am also eyeing the trap bar, grip trainer, and some of the clubs, but I have to figure out floor space orginization before I go too nuts.

15. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

One interesting thing to remember when doing the waves with the ropes. The amount of energy required to keep the wave going is proportional to the square of the amplitude and is directly proportional to the frequency. This helps explain why I have such an incredibly hard time doing the shoulder press wave because the amplitude of that wave is quite high, easily twice that of the standard wave with the overhand grip.