Battle cry screaming "kiai" in training?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mewtwo55555, Sep 21, 2014.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Goddamn I love the butt scoot. Goddamn.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It's even more satisfying if you say it in a pirate accent.

Go on. Try it. You'll thank me :p.

3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

You really should. Lol.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm having fun with a Scottish accent. Bewt scewt.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I use one in foreplay. Never had a second date though :(

6. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Thats pretty much how it got explained to me when I first began training Wado Ryu. I remember being very self conscious about it at the beginning.

As the years have gone on and my training has progressed it feels almost a natural thing when putting in maximum effort into a punching technique. Kicks not so much.

7. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

When I say it like that I sound like a liverpool scouser! :)

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Shouting kiai or butt scooting?!

9. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Damn I just You Tube'd the Butt Scoot, think Im going to get sacked now...

10. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Theres different types of Kiai. On a thrusting movement i.e. Yoko Geri I have always been taught it as a longer more prenounced shout from the diaphram as apposed to a snapping attack which uses a very short burst.

It is not intended as a intimidation tactic but used to contract the body at the moment of impact to add to the technique. At least to my understanding and what I have been taught.

11. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In addition to the points made about the benefits of breathing and mental attitude: A sudden, unexpected noise can confuse/startle you opponent for a moment - best when used infrequently

It's quite easy to add kiai onto any technique (it's not really a physical movement) and it can be helpful to cover up a change

The kind of noises help, but the idea is to use noise, amongst other things to eat into your opponent's brain "processing power" at a critical moment

Hope this makes sense

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Do I have to pick just one?