Batman - Dead End

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mo Lung, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

I thought I'd start a new thread about this rather than take over the Batman Begins thread.

So, who has seent his movie then? It's a seven minute short Batman film.

I have to be honest - for all its hype, I really don't think it's all that. The concept is really good, but I see several problems:

1. The story is lame. The idea behind the conversation between Bats and the Joker is a half-baked copy of the idea explored in The Killing Joke, and nothing really happens. It's more of a scene than a film.

I know it's designed more as a showcase for the film-makers than anything else, but still...

2. Batman can't fight! He looks good, but doesn't have many fighting skills which is bad as Batman, in the comics, is one of the greatest martial artists in the world.

3. Why doesn't he get acid burned when the Predator shoots the Alien that's pinning him down!? ;)

I have more, but why don't you guys weigh in with some comments?

2. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

I for one loved it.

The fact that it take Bat's out of the neon hell that the last coupe of movies placed him in more than makes up for the lack of a decent fight & means I'm willing to forgive a few contiunity mistakes.

I do wish that instead of bringing Pred & the Aliens into it they had spent a bit more time on Bats & the Joker.

the only real complaint I had was that it was to short :D

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It is actually a show reel.

Filmmakers would either make a short movie to show off what stlye they do or show highlights of their different work.
    This guy is actually just well connected with the special effects group KnB who helped make the Aliens and Predator (and other sci-fi/horror monsters).

A pretty impressive CV from what i see.

Also the guy who plays Joker is Star Trek's Czechov's son.

4. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Just downloaded it and I have to say I loved it 'I'm a huge Batman fan' can't wait for the new movie. I think the costume looks cooler than the ones they use in the movies, got more of the comic batman feel to it.

5. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

6. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Well, to be fair, neither of those threads went very far. ;) I didn't know about them though, so sorry about that.

A few people are comparing this short to the released movies which I think is pointless. The movies are all absolutely poo. There's no redeeming features about them at all.

Dead End was supposedly a short film by fans of the comics. If you read the comics, then you'll know how many terrible errors there are in the Hollywood films, hence my previous comments. However, also if you read the comics, you'll know that this short film really doesn't do anything interesting with the story or characters, as it's just a scene rather than a real story. Therefore, the points I made about the lack of fight skills, etc. are more relevant. I know this was a promo for the film-makers, but even so...

To me this seemed like a really good opportunity, with $30k in the bag and it was all spent on a few flashy costumes when it could have been much better spent on a good short story with a Batman that could actually fight!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2004
  7. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

If you go to http://www.christopherstapleton.net's website (he has been in X-Files episodes) he did a promotional movie called Death Of Batman. It is about 30 mins long.

If you email Mr Stapleton from the site, he can arrange for his agent to send you a copy of the DVD, along with a signed photo. It isn't too bad (I got mine about a week or 2 after emailing).

8. Mushroom

$30k in the filmmaking world is nothing. I just finished my degree on film making course and our final project cost £5000, the scary thing is that we managed to get about 90% of what we needed to be done for free (4 actors, location, equiptment rental, post-production etc).
    I too am a great comic book fan too (i wrote my dissertation as Comic Books - an underestimated medium). Showreels are to be seen as more visual than anything else as it is quite difficult to put much story into it.
    Mo-Lung, you are correct that it is a simply a scene, because thats what it is. Show reels are just for visual eye candy, also the Director isnt a fight choreographer so that would explain why he chose not to have a decent fight scene.

One of the dreams of me and my other film making buddies been wanting to make is Batman-KnightFall, but as a proper mini-series.
    Seemingly impossible to do but we can only hope and try. (all we need is to win the national lottery a few times and only then would we only be able to afford to see the producers :p)

9. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

LOL.

Well, if you ever get around to it, I'll play Batman for free. (And I can fight!) ;)

Question is, who would you cast as Bane? And I can't wait for the scene when I'm being re-trained after rehab, ifyouknowwhatImean! ;)

10. Mushroom

Hehehehe

No idea who to get as Bane :p We have discussed that it would probably end up with a decent actor in a body suit if we cant get anyone with the right body.
    Even so, we would still need to do some 'force perspective' due to Bane being near 7 feet tall and about 400-500lbs.
    My special effects guy and my designer/comic artist both say that they would rather have him part CG part body suit because they believe that Bane should be a lot bigger. ( 10 feet 900lbs, cos of the Venom ) Much like Hyde in League of Extra-ordinary Gentlemen. (terrible movie but half decent special effects).
    He will NEVER DEFLATE like he did in that horror that is Batman Forever. ( I still think Patrick Stewart shoulda been Mr. Freeze)

Now all i need is about....oooh...the fortune of Ikea. :D

11. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Let's start here - anyone care to donate to the cause? I'll chuck in a few bucks and a couple of old Matchbox collectible cars that might be worth a quid or two.

12. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

Take a look at this new fan film

Grayson

13. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Really cool clip, any idea if they actually made this, or did they just do the trailer ????

14. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

Apparently, they have just done the trailer first to see how well it would be received.

15. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Which is amazing, considering how much reshooting they would have to do to get the full scenes that were in the clip. So many actors and stuff involved just for a trailer. It could be really interesting, but the premise is completely wrong for two reasons:

1. Batman dead!? I mean really, puh-leeese!

2. Why would Dick come back as Robin? He's already Nightwing - therefore Nightwing along with the Bat family would come and avenge the Bat's death, so the very premise of the film is flawed.

Still, could be a good movie all the same in an Elseworlds kinda way. I'd go to see it!