Basics of Tonfa

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Cougar_v203, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

What are some of the basic techniques for
    Tonfas?

2. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

The tonfa involves very circular motions. While holding the handle think of throwing empty hand back fists. This motion will flip the weapon toward your target and then you can turn your wrist in mid strike to achiev a figure 8 type of circular strike. Once you have the figure 8 stoke down you will begin to see other patterns and strikes that are possible.
    I just completed a 6 week seminar on the tonfa involving striking, blocking, kata, and self-defense. Tonfa certification is reserved for blackbelts only in my ryu. It takes a while to get the handle on (no pun intended) the tonfa and you might end up with blisters like I did. To avoid blisters when practicing I suggest using baby powder on your hands so the weapon rotates easily in your grip.
    Hope this helps.
    Oos

3. Cougar_v203

k thanks for the help.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hitting people with the long end,
    hitting people with the short end,
    hitting people with the axe edge,
    hitting people with the hammer end!

:D

Hope this helps.

5. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

In jusjitsu we have a basic tonfa Kata. BUt we incorparate tonfa into take downs and throws joint locking etx. Is alot of fun.

6. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Question for Gojuman:

What tonfa katas did you learn?

7. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

The tonfa Kata in our ryu has been created by one of our Masters who is a 6th Dan.
    The Kata is named Furi Yumke Do, or the way of the integrity flip.

8. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

to Tobias Reece,
    Do you only practice Okinawan Kobudo? Is it not part of your Karate practice?
    Just curious.

9. Cougar_v203

off topic ;) but hey still intresting

10. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

The thing about loving weapon martial arts is that you wanna do all of them.. tee hee. But I will be doing Escrima (hopefully I can find a dojo in Gaoinesville), but my other two mega interests to eventually folow are the Sais and the Tonfas : ) Definately an interesting weapon, just have to remember that splinter bit about them : )

11. Cougar_v203

nah you won't be worrying about splinters in a fight..you'll be worrying about the guy trying to make you into a punching bag

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

In Shotokan Karate you can practice Heian Nidan and Yondan with a pair of tonfas.

Col

13. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

That is a good point Freeform. In fact I can think of a lot of my empty hand katas that would work well with tonfa.

14. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Yes I do just practice Okinawan Kobudo. I also hold a Nidan in Shotokan karate, but I train seperately.

15. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

tonfa are also very effective at trapping and breaking when held by the long end