Basic bagua apps

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Buddy, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

In our system we have eight movements (palm changes) somewhat like jurus (but very different from the little silat I've seen) done while walking in a circle. In addition there are eight lines of eight techniques (we call the 64 post heaven sets). Each line teaches a particular principle (striking, kicking, throwing, etc.) Here are some of the basic palm usages from these sets. This is very basic work.
    Enjoy!
    http://www.insidersasia.com/demo.php

2. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

New stuff added (plus my teacher!)

3. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Hi Buddy,

Nice clip... in Indonesia this is called silat and yes, the gentleman is practising jurus. The name of the silat would be silat Pat Kwa, I believe and you can find it amongst Chinese communities especially around Jakarta.

Warm salaams to all...

KC

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Pat Kwa - Pa Kua - Ba Gua
    Sounds like the same thing... sort off..

5. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Salam Buddy,
    We have a very similar moves, slightly different...:)
    Tristan

6. combat ronin

combat ronin New Member

Hello

Coming from a background in CMA the art of Ba Gua has always fascinated me. The multiple way it uses palm strikes and all different types of strikes is something i like very much.

I just find it strange that alot of the Ba Gua that i have seen people know the forms and such but little of the applications! Wish there was more focus on that than a wu-shu emphasis for without the combat application i dont think you are getting the whole picture.

John

7. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

Hi John,
    My teacher always teaches usage although it scares away the tai chi folks a lot.

8. combat ronin

combat ronin New Member

Hello,

Buddy, is good that your instructor shows you what is going on behind the movements. To many within the "internal arts" can move beautifully but have no idea of combat usage. I guess your instructor scares away the tai chi folks that just do it for health. I say this cause those that generally focus on the health part have no idea it had combative roots.

John