Bartitsu School of Arms 2012 video

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Devon, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And I'm sure we've all had one of those right guys? Right?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Isn't that what it's called in the Sherlock Holmes books?

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Close, actually baritsu (which sounds like a combination nightclub/sushi restaurant for some reason).

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Even Baritsu's an improvement.
    Just goes to prove the old adage that people that invent things are often really bad at naming them.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Apple are alright at it. Although you could argue they never really "invented" anything :p

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Uh...all they've done is stick 'i' in front of generic names.

And they weren't even the first to do that...

The first iPod was a range of internet kiosks.

The first iPad was a point of sale device introduced by Fujitsu.

The first iPhone was a range of Cisco phone/internet terminals.

IMAC originally referred to a form of data transfer.

Apple, obviously, was originally the studio founded by the Beatles (though the Apple Bank is a century older, and still extant).

The Apple TV was originally referred to as the iTV, and ITV said that they would defend their brand vigorously against this - whether this had any impact on the rename I don't know.

Hmm...

iBartitsu, Sherlock Holmes' martial art for the new series?

7. Devon

Devon Valued Member

As the Bear said, the cane system was brought in by Pierre Vigny. It was a quite radical, self defense-oriented reformation of the "standard" methods of canne fencing then being taught in France and Italy. As presented in Barton-Wright's material, it's notable for the use of high guards (mostly to lessen the risk of the defender's weapon hand being damaged by the opponent's stick), the double-handed "bayonet" grip and various close-quarters techniques such as trips and takedowns.

8. Devon

Devon Valued Member

Yep ... you get used to it, but only ****o-ryu karate has it worse.

9. Devon

Devon Valued Member

That's me, and thanks.

10. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Argument? What argument? It's origin is pretty well known and verified through original historic documents. There is some question about some of the "other" arts that Barton-Wright studied and/or included, but not the primaries, and it's still an open question as to who that Japanese gentleman is featured in the Pearson's articles. But other than that it's mostly minutia.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I know. That's my point.

Makes a nice change doesn't it. :)

12. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

hahaha

Ya got me there. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Bartitsuka

Bartitsuka New Member

A kind thank you sir. The Gentlemen that you enjoyed watching so was delighted to have his masculinity acknowledged, and we here in Chicago would love you to stop in for a training session sometime.

14. Bartitsuka

Bartitsuka New Member

The School of Arms was a fantastic experience! Tons of cross training, in circuit training format. It was a great opportunity to meet new, passionate people who love martial arts. One of the students who attended was Jason Narvy (Who played Skull from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!) He appears @7:37 and is rather excellent!