Barry Eisler's "John Rain" series

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Stevebjj, May 30, 2008.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Anyone read these? A friend of mine recommended them and I'm really enjoying them. They're thriller novels about an assassin who specializes in making deaths look natural. I'm reading the 3rd novel in the series now (out of 5, I think), and find myself hoping they make some movies at some point.

2. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I've read all of them. They're really good books, and Rain is a fascinating character. A complete sociopath, and yet disturbed at how willing he is to take a life. His warrior mindset and MA skills are key elements of each novel, and are brilliantly illustrated. I understand the author has a Judo black belt and has trained at the Kodokan, as well as training BJJ, and with Matt Furey.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  3. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

I enjoyed the first two or three books, then found John Rain to become too influenced by David Grossman's On Killing. If you look in the back of the book in the acknowledgements section, you will see he refers to various folks who influenced the techniques and tactics used by John Rain in the book.

They will be making a movie, http://www.barryeisler.com/photo_movie.php

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've read the first one and can't for the life of me find the second anywhere on shelves (Just the 3rd and fourth). I like the first one, I suppose I'm biased though as the description of the Judo match alone would be enough hook me :D

I do have to say the fighting has got a wonderfully gritty feel to it though, it's the only time I've ever come across a piece of popular media thats central figure has an understanding of guard work!

Unfortunately rumor has it the film will have more in common with Jet Li style Kung fu than with the actual action described in the books :(

5. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

oh, that's too bad. I was hoping for less Jet Li and more Jason Bourne.

6. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I like the books. Definately Barry Eisler has an interesting way of writing. With the movie they will probably just ruin the character particularly if they make it like a hong kong movie. aka Jet Li

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Okay. On a laptop instead of posting from my phone. I think it would really suck if they went wire-fu with this. IMO, the stories are similar in vein to the Bourne series, with a similar protagonist suffering from many of the same ghosts. While it has so much of the same feel as the Bourne series, it could be very cool to get a more Asian focus. Where Bourne tends to run around mostly in Europe and the States, John Rain spends most of his time in Asia, particularly Tokyo.

I also appreciate how Eisler goes out of his way to really try and think about how it might be done. The characters in the books, both good and bad, tend to be competent. Eisler doesn't cheat the plot. He also does a good job of plausibly motivating the secondary characters, rather than throwing them in as convenient but disposable devices.

If it goes wire-fu, I'll be very, very sad. :(

8. Alain

Alain New Member

Hello,

I saw people discussing Barry's books and thought I'd post. I'm a friend of Barry's and yes, you can see my name in the credits in the third book. :)

I've enjoyed all six of the Rain books and think they are good quick enjoyable action reads.

His newest book will come out in March and has nothing to do with John Rain. It is a stand alone thriller about two brothers, one in the military, one a lawyer. I've chatted with Barry about it, and it sounds very good. I'm looking forward to its release.

Regarding the movie, it will be very interesting to see how Sony handles it. It is mostly in Japanese with subtitles. If it does well, maybe Hollywood will pick up the rights and we'll see a larger production. I know Barry was happy with what he saw during the filming in Japan, but we'll just have to see how the final version turns out. I'm excited to see it.

Yours in Training,

Alain

9. Dikzzz

Dikzzz Valued Member

I've liked these books for a while.

For those that like that sort of thing (I do), you can get them in unabridged audiobook format for those long solo motorway journeys.

Barry also did some training at RMCAT with my chums Bill Kipp and Peyton Quinn.

He tries to get some good realism within the boundaries of telling a good story.

Take care

Dik