Barf and Learn

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by flashlock, Apr 12, 2007.

1. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

:eek:

Thought his would amuse the experienced old dogs at my newbie mistake:

I get out of work at 5pm, and BJJ class is at 6:30pm. I was hungry so I thought, well, a nice gentle soup will fill me up, but not be heavy. I ordered a beef soup at a Korean place, but it was VERY spicy. I scarfed it down, and had 20 minutes before pracite--thought I'd be fine.

In class, for warm ups, we jogged, forward backward, knees up, heels up, etc. No problem. Then we had to "climb the tree". I almost got all the way around. My stomach gurgled a little. Then we had to jump up on our partner, scissor our legs around him and do sit ups in the air. I did them, but now I wasn't feeling too good. Next we had to run around the room with our partner on our back. I couldn't do it, felt like I was going to throw up.

Finally, leg push downs, as if the teacher sensed my weak stomach and wanted to focus on it. I got through 20, then that was it. Went out onto the roof and almost ralphed.

I had to leave. I told my coach my mistake and he laughed. He said have a banana and a piece of chocolate an HOUR before practice. I felt like such a dick.

Barf and learn, I guess!

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

It won't happen again right flashlock? :D

I eat 4 hours before training (light meal) and 2 hours before I'll have a handful of fruit/nuts or a fruit and water.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Lmao!!! :d

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If it makes you feel any better... one of my training partners (who shall remain nameless) full on crapped his pants day before yesterday while rolling.

I don't mean a little... a rabbit nugget... I mean FULL ON!!! Dripping down his legs... soaking through his sprawl shorts... making the mat slippery crapped his pants!!! :eek: :eek:

He didn't even notice until one of the of the other guys said...

'DUDE!!!! WTF!!!! WHAT IS ALL THAT BROWN STUFF!?!?!?'

My mate was bummed... he 'oh right...' jammed out to the toilet... changed his shorts and underwear and came right back in and said... 'sorry folks... a bit of a dodgey gut'... and went right back to rolling!!! :eek: :D :cry: :bang: :p

I think it was a combination of too much protein, too little proper diet, too little sleep and just bad decision making. :p

At any rate... it was dire. Just absolutely dire.

5. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Holeeee... well... CRAP! Thanks, I don't feel like quite the dick I did before. That poor *******. Who the hell rolled with him after that? Jeeeesh!

6. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Never again! I learned a good lesson: I'm ****ing stupid. :)

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah dude... don't worry. Barfing is no the same as crapping.
    Barfing generally elicits concern from people... even if they don't rush in with their mouths open. :D

Crapping your Sprawl shorts on the other hand... is just out of line. :eek: :cry: :bang:

8. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

LOL... that's funny. Some guys can do it, though. I have to eat something mild, preferably with some good carbs in it. Fruit, some kind of bar... something. But yeah... the key is to eat it about an hour before class.

I won't even get into Slip's story. That's just nasty.

9. alister

alister Huh?

That's nasty... the odd fart pops out now and then ("dirty chi" I like to call it ;) ) but that's just nasty.

10. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Almost as disgusting as one gi feeling sick, doing it inside his gi top and rubbing it into his chest hair during a grading.
    At least I had the decency to do it out of the window

11. matt271

matt271 New Member

r wormups like this common??? my gym we barely do anything. some streches, jumping jacks, crunches, push ups, squats, sometimes we shrimp around the mat....

12. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

The warmup the OP mentioned is about the exact same as the ones we do. We have had a few guys throw up during it. Fortunately they all made it off the mat before losing it.

A banana is a good idea if you want to eat before class. We have a guy who has actually ate like 2 or 3 in the locker room an hour or so before his MMA fights.

13. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

That's awesome. I have a stomach of iron though. I can eat a large pizza 30 mins before training and be fine.

14. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

it often depends highly on the intensity of the workout as well ^^

15. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

oh god never eat korean before training.

you're better off eating pizza and wings than korean...

16. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Depends on who's doing warm ups at my school. Warmups are typically 1/2 hour, with jogging, heelkicks, high knees and all that. Then some ab work and stretchiing and other stuff. Warmups are always about 1/2 hour, but they're seldom the same from class to class.

One of our purple belts is an animal. If he's running warmups, we'll usually do sprints and sprawls for 30 minutes, then stretch as an afterthought. He's a cardio fiend. Another guy will kill us with ab exercises. I love it, though. I just try and do my best. I've never gotten nauseous, but I've had difficulty finishing warmups some days.

We've also got a competition class that runs a tougher workout than the regular class.

Drills like the ones described are common. Shrimping, alligator crawls, rolls forward and back, one called the dead bug (man, that one is tough), one where you roll back, kick your feet straight up and over, then land on your feet. That's a fun one.