Bareknuckle Kung Fu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Kung Fu bareknuckle sparring vid.

Fast forward to 0:42...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lpRkNCPwYo"]WAR DVD 3 - Promo - YouTube[/ame]

2. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

Interresting vid.

Bare knuckle sparring is nothing new in a good kung fu class, that's how we spar and have always sparred.

3. CFT

CFT Valued Member

What are we looking for? The afro?

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Why all the open handed stuff?
    Are they focusing on an actual open handed strike that's in KF?

Got a good chuckle out of the red chinese bench he's swinging around. We've got those in a quite few places here in Hong Kong. You would not want to get hit with one that's for damn sure. :D

What style of KF has that trained as a weapon? I'd seen it before in KF movies and IIRC there was a style that actually trained it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Hay Say Fu Hung Ga, Hung Fut, Lama Pai and CLF have bench forms . I think there might be one or two more systems as well. It's definitely more rooted in the South(China that is).

6. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Been posted a few times here before. Those guys are out of SF and are an interesting group.

Like ID says most Traditional Gung Fu schools do some kind of bare hand work.

7. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

Yep, you gotta love a good fro :D

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I really like that school - progressive methods combined with traditional ones. They've produced at least one decent MMA fighter.

9. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Damn it!

Well I tried... :Angel:

10. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

Always train and spar with bare hands,I find it very hard to grasp the aspect of gloves head guards and the likes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  11. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Full contact, head shots etc.? Ala taikiken.

12. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

These are tough guys all:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFqV2zZ50SU&feature=related"]TAIKIKEN vs KYOKUSHIN 3 - YouTube[/ame]

13. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

Yes, as I said, Full Contact.
    There have been intense sessions where people have gotten concussions, broken hands, broken ribs, broken feet, etc. (these types of sparring sessions are volunteer only and are geared more towards reality fighting)
    Though even in regular training we have Full Contact without armor and anything goes, if you're not careful and aren't good enough, you take a licking, hopefully you keep on ticking

14. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Excellent.

15. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Wing chun has a lot of armchair warriors but not bench! :D

Yep, sure beats a mullet hands down...!

I had a few sessions like that when I was in my early 20s and it didn't really occur to me that it was crazy, irresponsible and possibly long-term dangerous. It was before I became aware of all these informative forums... :( Fortunately, apart from a few cuts, bruises, a concussion or two (the bokken sparring was a cracker for that!), chipped teeth, sprained/broken fingers, dislocations, broken noses etc there wasn't really any damage. Nowadays I'm far more sensible and use protection, plus have proper insurance.

16. Yohan

17. Yohan

Don't apologize! You could post this video 1000 times and I wouldn't be mad.

18. Yohan

Yes the sessions are crazy, irresponsible, and potentially dangerous, but I think they are integral for any martial artist. You have to understand the danger.

19. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

As I also stated, sparring at that level was volunteer only, yes it's crazy, it's hard, it's dangerous, yes people get injured, but that's what a fight is like in real life, no better way to train how to fight in real life than actually fighting.

20. ckfnpku

ckfnpku Valued Member