bare knuckle punching for self DEfence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by karl52, May 26, 2011.

1. karl52

karl52 openminded

Heres a clip of me working focused bare knuckle punches on a 30lb sand bag,Some close up work here based more on street defence with the added plus of conditioning as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AmkppfOUoc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AmkppfOUoc[/ame]

I don't train in any particular style really just what in IMHO are the strongest and most powerful punching forms ive found.anybody else here train regularly bare knuckle? got any clips?

Cheers

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I punch a brick wall ready for when im on the str33ts

I think the punching looks weak and sloppy IMO

3. karl52

karl52 openminded

do you train bare knuckle on sand bags?

4. d0ugbug

I've hit heavy bags (120Kg) with rubber chipping in with no gloves, why?

5. karl52

karl52 openminded

Hi Dougbug ,

I didn't think you had, IMHO the first post suggested you had never hit a hard sand bag bare knuckled.if you practice regular with a sand bag like that, there is no room for error, my shoulder, elbow, wrist and knuckles all have to be exact alignment or something would break,and it wouldn't be the bag! im hitting totally unrestricted(no style) just what feels to me like the most power from the position of the bag and my punching form is actually dictated by the bag and its position.not how I think it should be.and with the strongest alignment comes more power.

perhaps if I were training for spOrts it might look different I may have my hands higher,elbows in nice and tight with a jab cross.but IMHO when the power punches landed they would be in the same position if you wanted maximum power/effect.with or without gloves.

6. d0ugbug

I think looking at the video your way to tense going into each punch you miss hit and somethings going to give and it woun't be the bag.

I've hit pads and bags for over 19 years now and I think form is important while striking with or without gloves.

Have you tried hitting without using all of your upper body strength?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Karl - I find sandbags better for conditioning than form. Heads tend to give a lot more!

8. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I'm curious as to why you don't drive power from the legs significantly or use body rotation more? (although varies a fair bit in the video)

Similarly why the punches are landing with a 90deg elbow on most of the strikes?

Wondering what your thoughts are? Both are technically non-standard:).

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree with this. You have a massive wind up of the upper body and little to no engagement of the lower body. If that is training for self defence then I can see your punches coming a mile off.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'll preface this with, yes I have hit sand filled uppercut bags, makiwara, wall bags and walls.

I gave all that up as a bad idea, I get my conditioning from heavy bagwork. For SD work I tend to kept to open hands, but the old boxing training does tend to sneak in from time to time.

I have to agree with the majority, shots look lazy, sloppy, telegraphic. You keep saying that you use no style and only what you feel is best, I'd be curious to hear what training/experience you do have to claim the authority that you clearly do.

11. karl52

karl52 openminded

I think quiete a few of you dont understand the concept of focused punching or the training of it,my main aim of the training in this video is training the very end of the strike similar to paper training like this clip,but the sand bag allows me to work the plunge more rather than just the snap.mosdt of you are looking at the whole form rather than the bit im training

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlByqM4ovps"]YouTube - ‪Modern bare knuckle paper training for focused punching‬‏[/ame]

I dont claim anything just showing you how I train,This is the guy I train under,IMHO the hardest bareknuckle puncher ive seen,with some reading that might help

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88993&highlight=Dennis+jones&page=4

http://www.woma.tv/search/for/video.html?search_query=dennis+jones&page=2

12. d0ugbug

Someone told me once that crap punching is crap, you can do so much more with a less effort Karl. Get to a boxing gym after a few months revisit the bare knuckle punching!!

13. karl52

karl52 openminded

just makin sure!:evil:

dont use strength,and im very relaxed,the only thing that tenses at the end is my core,I don't even tense my fist,you'd think you could at least pick that up after 19 years of punching?

perhaps its the pillows youve got strapped to your hands.

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

practicing partial/poor technique in such a manner “will have worn a nervous pathway between stimulus and response which will be very difficult to change”.
    practising crappy form leads to performing crappy form (that quote above is from Knapp)

15. d0ugbug

LOL so your forearms and shoulders are always that tense are they? I mean relaxed ... :rolleyes:

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You way think you are relaxed, but you don't look it. If you were relaxed and hitting with whole body power your punches would not need to start from way back.

17. d0ugbug

I can see the veins in your forearm as you start and finish your punch I can only do that when I tense my forearm and fist, but what do i know, i use pillows...

18. Mangosteen

Love your hand positioning in the second video. How your wrist was bent downwards during the punch and on contact. perfect way to break the metacarpal of the lower fingers and put dangerous uneven tension on your wrist.
    good luck.

19. d0ugbug

crit·i·cism
    noun /ˈkritəˌsizəm/ 
    criticisms, plural

The expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes
    - he received a lot of criticism
    - he ignored the criticisms of his friends

The analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work
    - alternative methods of criticism supported by well-developed literary theories

An article, book, or comment containing such analysis
    - I only read poetry and criticism

The scholarly investigation of literary or historical texts to determine their origin or intended form

Accept it if you post a video online

20. Mangosteen

"The expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes"

According to that definition, we're not criticising because there isn't a "perceived" fault, there is a real fault in his technique.