Bans on Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by KickChick, Jun 20, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Sometimes I don't know what to think anymore. The young lady quoted in the article was right, machetes are tools. The people using them may have benign intentions or murderous ones, taking away a machete will not stop the violence. They'll find something else. Next thing you know there will be a ban on ink pens, combs, wallets with chains, spiked heels, hair spray, and so on and so forth. Part of the solution is not in banning tools (read: weapons) but getting rid of the circumstances that bring about the use of these tools to kill or injure someone.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Weapons do not kill people.

People kill people.

If a burglar is disturbed breaking into a house he will probably by using a screwdriver or chisel to get in. That's what he will stab you with. The answer isn't to put a ban on chisels & screwdrivers.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If they were are banned, how is that going to stop criminals getting hold of them? If they intend to go and mutilate or kill someone, they're not going to be bothered by the fact that the weapon they use to do it is illegal.

5. khafra

khafra New Member

That does it. I am going to go grab a member of each country's major legislative body, and use them as a bludgeon to murder someone.

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Exactly - more laws won't stop criminals - 'cos they're errr..... CRIMINALS!

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

People are stupid.

That's the smartest idea I've heard all month!

People are so stupid. Reminds me of the eternal quote, "The more I get to know people, the more I like my dog." A dog would never ban machettes, or guns, or knives. That's like banning sharp teeth in the pack. Hell no, dogs aren't that evil or that stupid! A dog would just bite the *** out every criminal who trespasses against him (or at least try, in the case of small dogs), and then go off and sniff toadstools, chase butterflies, and laugh with his dog friends while the criminal limps away. We could learn a lot from dogs. Heck, I'm going to vote for a dog for President next year. It'd be better than any Republican or Democrat human currently out there. I think I'll vote for a Westie because they're so adorably cute but dog books say they can kill weasels and badgers.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2003
  8. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Hear hear and Huzzah

Reminds of a when daggers were banned in California the way the law was orignally worded made pens and pencils illegal weapons.
    *shakes head at human stupidty*
    while a double edged sword with a total length greater than 2 ft is legal to carry around town.
    Some how a pen is more deadly than 6ft sword :rolleyes:

9. John G

John G Valued Member

We should put these confiscated machettes to some good use;

For those steal; chop their hands off.
    For those who kill; chop their heads off.
    For those who lie; chop their tongues out.
    For those who rape; I’m sure we can find something to chop off.

We would reduce the crime rate and have fewer thieves, murderers, politicians and sexual deviates.

Oh and fewer machettes. :D

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

But weapons give people the power to kill people....

I'd rather be attacker by a screwdriver than a machette!

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Good idea in theory, but what would happen if you were innocent in the first place...

12. John G

John G Valued Member

KG,
    It was meant as a bit of tongue in cheek, and for the most part I agree with you. But what can we do?

It’s a social problem that all our societies have to face, as the gap between the haves and have-nots gets wider so does the increase in crime.

KickChick (Deb) pricked (or was that kicked) my social consciousness the other day. I was going to close down two clubs in two neighbouring towns, mainly due to work commitments, ever increasing hall and insurance fees and the fact I really want to get into more training as opposed teaching.

What I was doing was looking after my own interests and not that of the community. When I was growing up, we had Scouts, Cubs, Girl Guides and many different other sporting clubs, these were run by mums and dads volunteering their own time and money. There was a sense of community.

These days everyone seems to be too busy looking after their own interests and the words volunteer and sense of community seems to have an uncomfortable almost second hand feel about them. In the meantime while the parents are off working ten hour days to pay off the mortgage, wide screen cable TV, 4wd, dish washer, mobile phone, holiday house etc. their children roam the street drunk or on drugs with nothing to do but get into trouble. Our societies are crumbling.

I blame my generation and the baby boomers for this state of affairs, we lived as if there were no tomorrow. Who would have thought there would be?

Nearly all martial arts contribute to social development in a positive way. By giving young people a sense of worth and a sense of belonging hopefully we can reverse the trend towards crime.

I guess it’s up to us to make a difference.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Did I do that???:) :Angel: ... glad to hear you are keeping the schools open ... (I think... keep me posted John!)
    ;)

Here's another article I came across re: banning of weapons

Let's Weaponize Space ...

What??? NO STAR WARS???????????:woo: