Banning ethnic studies to crush dissent.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pitfighter, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/12/nation/la-na-ethnic-studies-20100512

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/features/us/july-dec10/arizona_12-24.html

What the hell is Arizona, and honestly this country? I'm from the US and quite frankly I'm getting sick of our slow but sure retrogression into a more conservative country.

Diversity of outlooks are seen as treasonous. Conservatives mistake ethnic studies for anti-white studies.

Quite frankly I'm getting sick of that paranoid conservative outlook that see differing views as dissenting, potentially treasonous or terrorist, or un-American views.

1st Arizona makes those quasi-SS anti-immigration laws now their actively banning history studies from different perspectives.

None of these changes in themselves is too much to worry about but I don't like the trends being set in this country.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

Lets avoid the Nazi references.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't believe for a second any classes actually DID teach this. But the effect is to intimidate teachers into dropping ethnic studies classes entirely, and that's reprehensible and borderline racist.

Edit: could "English as second language" classes, especially those meant to teach people of one particular native language, fall into the first category? If so, that's really offensive.

4. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

Probably under a technicality, but I doubt that even this idiotic law would be applied like that. All-in-all, it'll probably go no where and end up doing nothing.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

umm... out of curiosity... why?

6. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Because not a single action taken by the state governments nor the federal government is on par with anything the Nazis did. There is a HECK of a difference between requiring to see proof of citizenship/legal residence and killing people by the millions.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

8. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

My canned response: Resorting to the use of fallacy* in a polite discussion shows me possibly three things: 1 you're too stupid to come up with an actually valid argument; 2 you're too lazy to come up with an actually valid argument; 3 you're so stupid you think you're not actually committing a fallacy. So, you should refrain from using fallacies because it means your stupid, lazy, or stupid. In the future, please debate using actually logic, and not fallacies. Also, you are no longer allowed to claim you "didn't know"

* You're fallacy is called 'reductio ad hitlerum'

9. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

Yeah, but that's how it started...

BUM BUM BUUUMMMMMM!!

10. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

and they had a completely different climate country wide at that time.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

So this law is meant to prevent Arizona teachers from teaching students about Gov. Brewer's administration?

*ba-dum chhhh*

12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Moments like this makes life that much more amusing, that much more worth living for.

13. forero

forero Valued Member

I find people tend to be clever and lazy. People will notice if every time something "bad" occurs it's associated with Hitler. They'll notice that people are shy about Nazis and that you can win arguments by playing "the Nazi card" and adopt that tactic. But they'll be too lazy/practical to bother to go find out why.

14. slipthejab

Not that I think the particular topic at hand is on par with the Nazi's but to play devils advocate... I don't think that Hitler or the Nazi's are some sort of sacred cow that can't be brought up or compared to. Of course it can... not that's it's going to make sense or be relative to most topics... and it is most times it is way, way off base... but I think the whole thing of never referring to Hitler or the Nazi's is way over the top. If it doesn't make sense it doesn't make sense... but I've seen many an argument where any mention of Nazi Germany or Hitler in any aspect draws gasps from the crowd. Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

Stalin and Mao perhaps killed far more and yet no one so much as bat's an eyelid when they're mentioned.

15. slipthejab

Agreed... I had a good feeling that the whole reductio ad hitelrum would get brought up at some point...

but I'm genuinely curious when people get what I consider to be oversensitive to about anything referring to Hitler or the Nazis. I have family members who died fighting the Axis powers and for the Allied cause... yet growing up we didn't get taught that you can't toss around Hitler and the Nazi's. The problem when people build it up to be some big sacred cow (and I'm not saying anyone has specifically done this here in this thread) is that it makes Hitler nothing more than a cardboard cutout. To me that is a dangerous thing.

16. slipthejab

In case you didn't guess it's not my debate - I wasn't the one who brought up Hitler... and frankly speaking I don't have a horse in this race. I simply asked for your reasoning why you think it shouldn't be brought up - that's fair game.

So before you jump in and start calling people stupid (canned response or not) you might want to get down off your hobby horse understand who is arguing what. Asking a simple question isn't arguing for or against anything.

17. forero

forero Valued Member

I agree entirely.:cool:

18. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

slipthejab: You make perfect sense IMHO.

I am a minority in the USA, however I have white skin and light eyes, so I dont see or feel racism, not againat me, any way... but it does exsist and its very real against other races such as the Mexicans and all Latin American countries, Blacks, especially those from Haiti, Bahamas and Jamaica, and even Orientals, to a lesser extent. Arabs from the middle East are by far the most discriminated against, right or wrong... But NOTHING close to what Hitler and his Nazi army did to the Jews, NOT yet, anyways. According to the history books and those who suffered the atrocities of the Nazi ovens, gas chambers, starvation and such, It' NOT evn close.

Mao? Thats a whole different story.

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you will insist on electing idiots, don't be surprised then they act idiotically.

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So you think when the Nazis came to power they immediately started killing millions of Jews, homosexuals and Slavic people? That just not how it happened.

The Nazis came to power on rhetoric much the same as that a George W. Bush. In fact there is a speech given by Hitler doing the rounds on YouTube that sounds exactly like the sort of thing George W. Bush used to say with respect to terrorism and "evil doers". The Nazi party dismantled the state piece by piece and replaced it with their own form of government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.