Banned Users

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Aegis, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Thank god I haven't made the list yet. :Angel:

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Good. We can now see who is going to be the new trigger happy KC replacement. ;)

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I might just replace the whole thing with a link to your profile :p

As for the list of who's who this week, do you mean username changes?

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

that would be it. we were just talking about that in chat last week, you may get a slew of name change requests soon ;)

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Oh joy...

I'll have a think about it ;)

6. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

We get to pick the names, right? I am thinking theme renames- starting with the Seven Dwarves. :D

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yes. Often I'll see a new user name (and usually a new avatar) with a high post count and I can't tell who it is... makes it hard to remember who's who. It's especially tough with Mods/Admins when they change their names. With so many people here, one's user name really gives a poster a quick idea of their reputation/attitude/background/etc... people are known by their user name here and when it changes, it makes it tough to follow. I guess I don't see why people want to change user names so often.

Some ideas/opinions:
    1. Have everyone put their real name in their sig - that'd make people more accountable (although I doubt that'd be popular)

2. Or, Have a line in the profile for "A.K.A." or Previous User Names

3. Or, a list of changed names like the Banned User list

4. Or, as part of the terms for changing User Names, have the person put their previous name(s) in their sig for a month or so.

5. Or, on the tougher side, you could limit name changes to once or twice per account or have a name change result in the old account (and post count/etc) being closed a new one opened at post count 0. Seems like the admins are busy enough without having to change people's names and such.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents... not meant as moderating advice, just ideas.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Can I be Sleepy?

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm not sure that MAP can even require this. Even if they could, I certainly wouldn't do it. Remember, we also have people who refuse to provide location, age, and gender in their profiles; they certianly wouldn't want to be forced to give their real name.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  10. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I think limiting name changes to just once (or twice) is a good idea. Or with this new fashion trend you'll have some that'll keep changing 'because they can'.

and some idea of who the user was previously known as is a good idea too. When you spot a random punctuation mark like a full stop, many would wonder who the hell that was/is. And the high post count on a completely new name and avatar who's obviously been around a while, is confusing :confused:

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I hate forums like that. I've deliberately avoided forums that insist on you putting your real name on posts. Why the heck would I want a load of internet weirdos knowing my full name and identity? Why should I have to be "accountable" for what I post here? The great thing about the internet is that it's a meeting of minds - you stand or fail on the quality of your logic or knowledge or humour or whatever, which is a great leveller!

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

The real name is a no go. No way we would let alone could enforce it.

A list is possible, and is under discussion atm.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The "real name" thing was just a suggestion... seems like it got a few people worked up. I think the other suggestions are a bit less controversial... I wonder what people think of those?

As for the accountability, my point is just that as people post on forums, they build a reputation and a kind of identity based on their user name. With a site of this size, with so many people, there are a lot of users I would just as soon avoid/ignore and a good core of people I want to read what they post. Instead of reading every post/thread I go to user names I trust. That's why, when people change their names, it means I miss out some good people/conversations/etc. As you put it "you stand or fail on the quality of your logic or knowledge or humour or whatever, which is a great leveller" is a great thing and something I agree with... but it's a lot easier if the posters aren't changing their names often.

14. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Off-topic I know, but what happened ot MAP dating?

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Since you asked...

That's certainly not a hardship... I could do that.

That works

It would take some of the funny sigs away, but I'd do that for a name change.

Six of one half a dozen of the other, really. I prefer options 2-4 over this one. Doesn't seem fair to make them start all over.

Oh, and I do kinda agree with V on one big thing... is there anything the staff can do about some of the more absurd names????

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  16. Sgt_Major

People can call themselves what they like, as long as its not racist, profanity or other breach of the TOS - we could add a "Thou shant have a dopey name" in them? ;) ;)

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

*sigh* I guess not, but it kinda leaves me wondering what to do with names like "." and "@". They're not Prince, but they're becoming just as scary! *shudder*

18. Sgt_Major

I think Saz tried earlier to limit it to a minimum of 3 characters.... thats probably still an option.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

I'd rather there be a timeout to that constraint. Something like "once per year", or once every couple of years, rather than once or twice per account.

I mean, people change with time. We've got people who've been here for four years, imagine what it'd be like when they've been here ten? Do you really want to be stuck with the name you picked at, say, 16 and in love with the latest boy band?

That said, I definitely appreciated it when Ceccaci put "<---- formerly BeWater..." in his title.

20. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

That was my thinking. I *had* to change my name due to some ugly politics at my old studio and I was told I couldn't use the name "baikaiguy" any longer. So I came up with one in a pinch, and it's just kinda getting old...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.