Banned from RVD's forum !

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kikaku, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

This hardly warrants a thread, but I thought some of you might find this comical. I was banned today from RVD's forum, for posting a perfectly valid opinion :rolleyes: Somebody posted a question regarding one of RVD's DVD sets which I bought recently, when I bought some Daikomyosai DVD's. I offered my opinion.

I said :

And this is the reason I was given for being banned, from a Ricky Van Donk lackey, hero worshipper !

I mean my post goes against RVD's interests, and I'm not surprised (nor do I care) that I've been banned, but this sort of censorship is just laughable.

I didn't set out to disrespect him in the slightest though ! I was just offering my opinion on what I believe is a poor product, regardless of who released it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  2. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I thought it was going to be about Rob Van Damme! :(

3. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

They say that they are there to learn? And yet you say that RVD talks to much. How can you see wonderful techniques if the video is filled with talk. Yes, the videos may be for training, but you are not there to exercise your vocal muscles, but your form instead. :rolleyes:

4. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

I think *that* RVD has other things on his mind at the mo. :p

5. Existence

Existence Super Saiyajin :o

maybe you shouldve said something along the lines of "I felt the video was not as concise as it should be, and prefer *insert another video*"

Yeah he does seem like a door to door salesman kind of guy, but should still restrain ourselves as common courtesy.

BTW i might've wrote the same thing you did if the video was THAT BAD :woo:
    i'm guessing it was...

6. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

But how did you like the Daikomyosai DVDs you purchased from RVD, Kikaku? They are great, aren't they? Did you like the part of the '98 Daikomysai DVD where Hatsumi gets on RVD for his lack of understanding? Have you seen some of the Taikai DVD's as well? There are several times where RVD is called up to do a technique and then he starts to talk to explain it and Soke cuts him off. 'Okay, thank you.' Enjoy.

7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

This is the art of self protection and the protection of others, he's protecting Van donk protecting his wallet!!! :D

8. garth

garth Valued Member

Benkyoku Posted

So why is this guy a fifteenth dan?

Gary Arthur

9. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Why are you bothered???? :confused:

10. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

cus his teacher isnt!!!! :D

11. garth

garth Valued Member

No this is a serious question.

If as Benkyoku posted that this guy really does not get it, as evidenced on the Daikomyo DVDs. Why has this person been allowed to gain such a high qualification?

Now this is not a snipe at the Bujinkan, although I know it will be taken as such, as anything that mentions quality of Bujinkan members is taken as an attack on the Bujinkan as a whole. But I post it to say that...

If as Benkyoku posted that Mr Van Donk in his opinion is really that bad, then surely by giving this person this grade does not give a good impression of the Bujinkan.

Now people like Kouryuu might point out things like why am I bothered, or as I'm not in the Bujinkan why should it effect me.

Well I'm not a member of the Konnigun either, so why should it affect me or any Bujinkan member as such, in fact why should we be bothered, but pages and pages of posts have been posted about this organisation yet it should not bother us.

Its the same with this. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that Bujinkan is anything like Konnigun, God no, its a million miles from, but I just feel that its things like this, i.e that a Bujinkan member who lives and trains in Japan points to the DVDs that kind of suggest that a 15th Dan Shihan does not get it do not do the Bujinkan any favours.

Now don't get me wrong I am not for one moment defending Mr Van Donk but
    its things like this that put a bad reputation on the Bujinkan, and reminds me of the phrase about glass houses.

Now as i said I know that people will probably attack me for making this post, but before you do please remember that Benkyoku posted the original post that in a way attacked the Bujinkan by saying that this person was bad and I just asked the obvious question based on what he put.

Gary Arthur

12. bencole

bencole Valued Member

You mean after all these years of complaining about the Bujinkan you *STILL* don't know the answer to this question? :rolleyes:

Go do a search for the reasoning behind ranks and how Soke uses ranks as a teaching tool.

-ben

13. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

I'd been very surprised if Garth did not know the answer to that question :rolleyes:

I always see a grading as a challenge to be worthy of the grade, whereas some can sit back and think they are worthy of the grade.

I've seen the HSC and their is too much talking for my liking but others may like that approach.

14. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Why does this thread want to make me go and look at another. He got banned. RVD talks too much and a minion banned him. To me, it is comical, to Garth it is another attemt to try and figure out why.

Anyone up for some pig in the mud wrestling?

15. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Kikaku should get Shodan in stirring up trouble on the net :D :D :D

Here you go Kikaku in recognition of all your hard work :D

Attached Files:

16. garth

garth Valued Member

Be Posted

Of course I know the answer. In other words as pointed out again and again, is that grades nowadays in the Bujinkan do not really mean much. In other words rank is not an indication of skill.

The point I was making however is that in any other organisation you tend to keep quiet about your weak points, not broadcast them all over the forums to cause harm to the organisation you are a member of.

Do banks broadcast it to the public when a member of their staff gets caught stealing. Not usually. They tend to let them go quietly, so as not to put the public off banking with them.

But in the Bujinkan you guys pronounce your weaknesses to the world.

"Hey look at us were the Bujinkan and we have people at high rank in our organisation that have not got a clue, anbd i'm so proud to be a member"

Its a bit like me posting on here " Attended a To-Shin Do seminar last week, the instructor of fifth dan was terrible and had not got a clue"

What kind of message would this send out about the Quest organisation and Stephen k Hayes. Positive do you think. I don't think so.

So why do you guys do this to yourselves?

Heres a tip guys. Keep quiet about your weaknesses, after all isn't this a standard Ninjutsu principle.

In fact didn't Sonshi mention something about this once.

Gary Arthur

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  17. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It is up to the student to surpass the master/instructor. Some fail, some become more than their worth.
    He lost the plot. Buy him a white belt and ask him again in 15 years time if he has improved.

18. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Will, thats not a nice thing to say about Steve..

19. Cuchulain

Cuchulain Valued Member

I don't know Richard Van Donk, but on the few occasions I've met him, he seemed like a nice man. In this instance, let's not lose sight of the fact that he didn't ban anyone from his forum himself, one of his students/staff did.

I'd be surprised if criticism bothered Mr Van Donk and I'd be really surprised if it bothered him enough to do something petty. I could be wrong, but really, the discussion going on here about this man's rank or his level of ability has nothing whatsoever to do with the original poster's comment.

20. bencole

bencole Valued Member

And this is NEW to you? :rolleyes:

So, in other words, both Stephen K. Hayes' rank and Dale's rank in the Bujinkan do not indicate any skill level, right? Or do they? I'm so confused. :cool:

Oh, they mean something. Your rank above Godan represents what Soke thinks you could be, despite your failings....

As you are well aware, Soke gives rank for all sorts of reasons: having a good heart, having real battle experience, being able to rip the arms off someone, having a deep knowledge of the ryuha, being innovative, etc.

If you roll all these reasons up and put them in the same individual, you actually end up with "the perfect martial artist." Hm... :rolleyes:

Each person has a piece of the puzzle. Take the best of each and put them together to make yourself a "tatsujin."

So let's suppose that Soke gives "nose-bleed" rank to an old man who has a world of experience but whose bones are giving away. The rank is sufficiently high that this old man starts to attract attention, and people start to look to him for guidance. Does it "harm" these people to be exposed to the old man with a world of experience?

Not at all!!! Especially if you are trying to create "tatsujin" (i.e. "complete individuals"), who have the skills and the heart and the depth to reach that level.

The greatest issue that people face in the Bujinkan is the inability to "see" what they are supposed to see. Take the heart of the old man. Match it with the skills of another. Match that with the intimate ryuha knowledge of still another. Throw in the real battle experience of those who are cops. Train and stir. It's a pretty good mix, if you ask me....

This goes back to the issue I posted yesterday about asking "Why is it that (WIIT) questions" and understanding roles.

When you ask yourself, "Why is it that Soke gave *HIM* a 15th dan?", think about what role that individual could play in the creation of a "tatsujin." Take that part for yourself and discard the rest.

Does it really cause harm to the Bujinkan? Or does it HELP people across ALL martial arts? Do you think Soke's lesson that "rank is meaningless" is applicable just the Bujinkan?

Soke has been fighting the fossilization of martial arts for decades. Ranking systems represent one such fossilization.

In the end, it is not one's rank, but one's understanding of Budo that matters.

Now, that would be kinda cultish and insular, wouldn't it?

:rolleyes:

-ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.