Balance Excersize?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by clutchdoctor, Nov 6, 2003.

1. clutchdoctor

clutchdoctor Tae Kwon Do Do

Hey, i'm a bigger person, and my main problem right now is balance, does anyone have any ideas on how to build up my balance for my kicks, especially my side kick, btw i just started about a month ago. Thanks in advanced for any replies :D

2. Disaster Master

Disaster Master New Member

I skip rope

3. alcapone

alcapone New Member

Give it time, balance is something you wont pick up in a month, keep at it, and soon you will be a jedi knight!! (that means you'll be able to balance on one toe while doing a side kick, eating a donut,smoking a fag and watching Simpsons.....easy really!!)

No one has good balance if they've only been training for a month, unless you're born with amazing balance that is! Practice practice practice, that's my advice!

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The most common answer is "practice". Here's a tip that I use:

When stretching on one leg (like grab your left instep with your left hand from behind and lift it up to your butt), direct your eyes to a spot (imaginary or not) on the floor. By lovcking your vision there, you will maintain balance. Take this technique and practice doing very slow kicks (on a 4 count... (1) chamber (2) extend and hold) (3) retract and hold (4) set the leg down)... if you focus on a spot while doing this your body will begin to adjust to the balance.
    Good luck

5. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I don't study TKD, but I also have balance problems which I need to overcome for my styles. This is not terribly scientific, but it does help me -- when I need to balance on one leg, I imagine a steel rod going down through the whole length of my body (through the leg that is making contact with the floor) and into the ground, rooting me to the floor. I know this probably sounds like a joke, but I find it really helps me to balance a little better.

6. clutchdoctor

clutchdoctor Tae Kwon Do Do

Thanks guys, i was just wondering if there was any kind of excersize or something that people focus on for balance, thanks for all of your advice i'll just keep at it and get it :D

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Three Dimensional Balance Exercises (Coordination Training)

Try these out .... you'll be able to do the last one at parties in no time!:D Absolutely fantastic balance drills!

Focus? You've heard to pick a spot on the wall in front of you and concentrate & breathe .... works for me.
    Last night in class we went through a series of assorted leg lifts at various height held for different periods of time... some short/some long. Our instructor just told us to lift and hold and we weren't sure whether this time it was 10 seconds or 60 seconds. Never once did I fall over but the beads of sweat just dripped down my face! One thing that I am able to do is grip the floor like a monkey with my toes and focus hard straight ahead filtering out all outside sources about me....

8. tkderf

tkderf New Member

Practice is the key, but Yoga can also be good for you. i am a very tall person, that's why balance is very important for me also. One thing i do is to train on gymnastic balls , these will help you workout your stabilisator muscles and will have a direct impact of your kicking performance.

Hope this help

9. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

I've always thought those gym-balls look good, and I've read they're good for core stability, but I never really know what to do with them. I and a friend were trying them out in the gym the other day, and they just kept rolling across the room and we ended up flat on our backs.

What specific exercises do you do? What exercise are best for tkd training?

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Swiss Ball/Exercise Ball/Balance Ball exercises

What is "best" as far as balance exercises are the ones that you find will personally work for you to achieve balance improvement whether it is for TKD ot any other martial art... balance improvement need not be martial art specific.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Listen to Kickchick, she's good some great information. But really just keep practicing, thats the bottom line. The more you do something the better you will be (usually). Stretching is great, my instructor says to think like a cat, dang they are always stretching, and look at their flexibility and agility. Doesn't mean we fall 3 floors and land on our feet of course, but you get t he general idea.

12. jwc

jwc New Member

One exercise that I like to do is to hold on to a chair and practicing kicks by breaking them down into stages while concentrating on good form. First move knee to chamber position and then kick.
    With the roundhouse, I try to follow this exercise by (without the aid of a chair) chambering my leg and then doing multiple roundhouse kicks without letting my foot touch the ground (fighting stance -- chamber -- kick -- chamber -- kick -- chamber -- kick).

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

- i agree with Thomas. we do those exercises as well, and they are really good.

- u can start with one kick. u do apchagi several times, when u finish u move on to yopchagi, then dolyio and then dwitchagi...on a 4 count...first one leg and then the other.

- after that u can do the following, u start let's say with ur right leg: apchagi, extend and hold, retract, then extend and hold yop chagi to ur right side, retract, extend and hold dolyo chagi in front of urself, retract, extend and hold dwitchagi behind urself, retract, set ur leg down. u repeat the same with the other leg. these exercises are not easy at the beginning and believe me if u do them properly, u'll get tired and sweaty from head to toes.

- make sure u breathe properly, and pay attention to ur foot, hips, upper body, hands, eyes.

14. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

tension kicks help a lot with balance. Throw the kick very slowly and try to keep your balance. If you can't then throw it lower and gradually raise it up. Not only will this help you with balance, but your technique will also improve.