Baji, anyone practise it?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Richdog, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

I've just been reading up on Baji with the help of my friend Google and I had never heard of it before tonight. From much reading it seems to be frighteningly effective and known as the "bodyguard" art.

I've only just started Wing Chun and Tai-Chi (4 months of both) so can't start another MA for obvious reasons. However, I am deeply interested to say the least and would perhaps consider it as a substitute for Wing Chun if it was indeed all it was cracked up to be and there was a school relatively close.

I live in the South East in West Sussex near a town called Crawley... does anyone know of a reputable, quality school or instructor that teaches this system that isn't a million miles away (figuratively speaking)?

Any feedback on the art from someone that practises it would also be great. :)

2. noblenicky

noblenicky New Member

Alas, the secret is out!

In addition to your friend Google, I would recommend some other friends who have compiled links about Baji: http://www.cyberkwoon.com/new/viewtopic.php?t=12353

Very fascinating art, however good teachers are far and few in-between. From my research, the spread of Baji is mostly in Taiwan (and Mainland China to a lesser extent) and the US.

3. Richdog

Now that was a seriously helpful link, thanks mate! lots of info there, will keep me reading for a wee while. :)

Only place nearby I could find that teaches it is at the Shenmen Traditional Martial Arts school in Brighton, it teaches:

Chen Taji Chuan, Wudang Wushu, Baji Chuan, Shaolin Chuan, Chin-Na, San shou

May be worth a look in future then, I plan on moving to Brighton in a year or so.

Fascinating art though. I wonder how long it takes to become proficient in comparison with other internal arts (say 2 lessons a week and a few hours home practise).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  4. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

About 10-15 years as I understand it. So not that long really.

But you're right, it is a fascinating style. I would love to learn BaJi Chuan from a great teacher. I know a few techniques here and there, and they are superb :D
    I've heard of the brighton club, and from what I've heard, it is quite good, so give it a go when you get there, and drop me a line to tell me how it is! :D

5. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

I like to practise "Argey Bargey" Does that count?
    :cool:

6. noblenicky

noblenicky New Member

Hi Dog, the level of "attainment" for Baji has been said to be generally shorter than other IMAs (taiji, xingyi, bagua), because Baji is somewhat "not as internal" (and I'm leaving it there not to dive into what's internal and what's external).

Baji is also generally taught together with Piqua, especially if you are studying under the Li Shu Wen line.

Good strong knees are awfully important because of the huge amount of stomping around, and low stances. Look around in those links you'll find quite some videos too. They are a good indication of how the art is demonstrated.

PS> Dont take my word as the bible, I wouldnt say I have studied baji at all.

7. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

LOOOVE Ba Ji.

:cool:

8. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Ba Ji;

1. It was called Ba Zi Quan or rake fist. Ba Ji means strikes at 4 fronts and 8 extreme directions.

2. There are 6 big opening (Liu Da Kai) and 8 big moves (Ba Da Zhou or Shi).

3. 6 big opening: Ding Bao Dan Ti Kua Chan.

4. 8 fighting methods: Cun, Guo, Ti, Kua, Zhuo, Luo, Yin and Shuai.

5. Cun (inch); avoid attack by an inch, use an inch distance to intercept and capture (Na). Ba Ji excels in close combat. An inch is all you need to defend and attack. (Cun Jie Cun Na)

6. Guo (wrap): use arms and body movement to wrap around the opponent so that he or she may not escape.

7. Ti (upward): use the foot to kick the shin; use the knee to hit the thigh or groin, use the back of the wrist to hit the chin etc.

8. Kua (hip): use the hip to leverage to throw; use the hip to Kao.

9. Zhuo (stab): use your fist or foot to strike.

10 Luo (capture): use forearm or palm to capture the opponent's arm or wrist.

11. Yin (hard): use soft ways to engage and use hard way to end the fight.

12. Shuai (throw): nothing else is working then just go ahead and throw.

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  10. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

11. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

A TV interview with Master Liu Yun Qiao.

Interview

12. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

A link to a discussion.

link

More discussion. please search Ba Ji in Kung Fu Forum.

Ba Ji

13. Richdog

Wow cheers for info guys I appreciate it, i've just spent an enjoyable hour reading a lot of stuff about it. I'd love to see it in action in a real contact sparring match but I guess that's a little too much to ask. :D

But I like it a lot, i'd love to see some hard, full-speed applications...

14. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

There is a Ba Ji Quan research club in National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.

There are a lot of seminars and apps intros.

But they are all in Chinese.

Actually, the posts on 6 openings and 8 methods are from my own notes and interpretations.

There are several chapters in my book.

You may search inside the book.

Search

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  15. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Apology for the info overload.

Can't help it.

LOOOVE Ba Ji.

:rolleyes:

16. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

I cannot locate the links for video demo of apps in Chinese seminars in Taiwan.

As soon as I find them.

I will post the links.

:)

17. Richdog

Would be much appreciated, cheers. :)

18. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

Well ... have to agree that Baji is great

I'm doing Baji now for a couple of years. I studied under Wu Lianzhi, Mengcun China.

Still go there every 2 years

it is however not completely internal ... it has a lot of external stuff around it to.

But ... if you want i got a transated text from the Mengcun Baji Research Association. It is translated so not in very good English hé.
    just send me an PM and i will mail it to you

concerns lineage, principles, list of styles, history, theory, ...

19. Richdog

And would you say that after two years of using it you could confidently apply it in a real-life self-defence situation on the street? Is the training for it harsh? Are the techniques very powerful, and effective aginst other styles such as Muay Thai and grappling?

Sorry, a lot of questions I know, just interested to hear it form someone who's practised it a while. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  20. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

I have done several martial arts before i started with Baji and I didn't even come close to hurting these guys. Even my elbos/knee stuff from freefight where useless. Because the techniques of baji are so aggressive it's difficult to maintain the initiative in a fight.
    My teacher always said that one or 2 techniques are enough to put somebody out of order. and he's right ...
    I think i can stand my ground in a fight. And of all the stuff that i learned in my life ... I would use baji-elbows to get out of a nasty situation.