Bagua Standing?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Dan Bian, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Thanks for the info TQ

Thanks for the info Taoquan :).

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Standing practices are a way to cultivate and practice many of the integral internal components that underlie the Neijia. Proper alignment, relaxed breathing, opening and closing of the joints and cavities, etc. are most easily realized in a static posture, and then integrated into movement, slowly at first (a la tai chi chuan and early levels of circle walking) and then with increasing speed as skill and control is gained. They may not be a universal element of ba gua training, but they are widely used by many practitioners.

3. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Since I do not practice an Internal Art what I have to share may not apply directly, so I ask indulgence if this is seems a bit from out of "left field", as it were.

In the Hapkido arts we have many types of breathing practices which inter-relate with the other material we practice. As a member of the YON MU KWAN ( a sub-set of the World Hapkido Federation) I practice the DAN JON Breathing taught by MYUNG Kwang Sik KJN. These movements are almost identical to the "Practice of the Golden Phoenix" which is usually considered introductory material for basic Taoist Breathing. In addition to this I teach my students PAL DAN KUM or "Eight Pieces of Brocade" and use it at the end of each class as a "cool-down" and a way of "re-balancing the body" from the duress of training and practice. (See: YAHOO Video) I mention all of this because as I have sought to polish and refine my practice, even in such arcane areas as breathing, I am find repeated themes and practices done in various ways, but generally the same. For instance, the practice of "hugging the tree" (aka: "hugging the pillar") can be done with and without stepping, standing still and even bent-over (aka: "the turtle").

My own guess, and BTW my invitation, would be to not look for "BA QUA" Breathing practices per se, but to look for practices which seek to synchonize body motion and breathing. Absent material of tortuous movement, or extreme breathing patterns, its ALL good. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

What is your question? If the breathing is your question well it depends on the level you are at for how to breath with each move in Pakua. The thing is you need to ask specifically. If you are wanting to know more about the Taoist breathing well it depends and the basic as you refer to do not exist in breathing practice. It is breathing practice in that it is to improve your health so should be done everyday. The saying goes the immortal man is only immortal as long as he practices qigong. He chooses death the day he stops.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Bruce-Zhan Zhuang,or post training, or whatever the heck we're calling it isn't about breathing-generally speaking,in this particular type of training one just breathes naturally and doesn't pay attention to it,will usually be doing other things that occupy one's attention,paying attention to or utilizing a "method" of breathing would be a distraction.

Actually, you might be surprised to learn that many of the old exercises didn't concern themselves with breathing at all,more with mechanics,with the breath just going on naturally.Of course, this was pre the mass pop ch'i gung hype of the last 3/4 century or so. Noi/ch'i/hei gung training methods don't automatically equate to a training with a defined breathing method.

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Much good info. Many thanks.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

7. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce W Sims
    Since I do not practice an Internal Art what I have to share may not apply directly, so I ask indulgence if this is seems a bit from out of "left field", as it were.

Okay, consider yourself indulged.

8. crshieh

crshieh Valued Member

Hu Ju, Long Pan, and Jia Ma

9. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

Traditional Cheng style baguazhang has static postures.
    The most common two are Zhan Zhuang and Green dragon stretches its claws.
    Green dragon is the classic on guard stance that you hold when you walk.
    Its held static after stretching to teach how to get the correct posture such as a relaxed kua, turning hips, round back, head pointing upright etc....
    Zhan Zhuang is practiced to get the body structure right too, but in my opinion it is less important (though its a great way to cool down during single movement practice).
    These stances are really basic to the system, but they are a very important practice.
    The other techniques that might be called Zhuang's would be the eight basic palms, which are postures you hold while walking the circle.
    They are like stance training except with footwork added.
    They are the most important foundation training of bagua.

10. Haoran

Haoran New Member

Hey Guys, New here so found this thread while searching archives.

Our Bagua (Wang Zhuangfei lineage) has static postures which essentially are the 8 mother palms held in a static position.

This is taught (traditionally) before walking which goes inline with what old palden said earlier although I will add, it helps to create Jin (Jing), explosive power.

11. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Joanna Zorya has no connection to any real bagua teachers, I'm afraid. And her comments on standing, and on bagua, are meaningless. Zhan Zhuang was, of course, used in bagua. If she'd bothered to research the subject properly, she'd know that.

http://wulinmingshi.wordpress.com/category/yin-style-bagua/

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  12. Mr.D

Mr.D New Member

QUOTE:Joanna Zorya has no connection to any real bagua teachers, I'm
    afraid. And her comments on standing, and on bagua, are meaningless.
    Zhan Zhuang was, of course, used in bagua. If she'd bothered to
    research the subject properly, she'd know that. / QUOTE
    This is not actually true - she trained Gao style with Luo Dexiu and
    2 of his students, Ed Hines and Aarvo Tucker as well as Sun style
    more 
informally with other teachers. She has severed her connections
    to any 
specific Chinese lineages now, http://www.martialtaichi.co.uk/articles/lineage.php
    but in part that is because her training ended when she received her
    authorisation to teach the arts.

13. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Sorry, I only calculate it on actual skill.

14. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Sorry. I like her spirit, and her intelligence, but I love Quan more.

15. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hahaha....