Bag work

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Aussie Bob, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

Do many people here use punching bags for workouts?

The question is: I'm going to buy a 180cm bag, I'm not sure whether to get a hard one or a softer one. What do you recomend?

2. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

It depends what art do you train. I assume you train in TKD since you asked in this forum. I would suggest you buy the softer one. Human body is not as hard and solid as sand-filled punching bag. Moreover, human is mobile. So, a lighter/softer punching bag will help you give "a feeling" of a human body since its not so hard and easier to moves.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Happy training :Angel:

EDIT: Oh, sorry forget to add; A harder punching bag might also increase the chance of injury to your foot & fist.

3. Well I'd go heavy. The idea isn't to get a feel for hitting a human. If that's what you want, get a body opponent bag.

I put in a good number of hours a week on punchbags [or at least wavemasters if the bags aren't out] and for me the benefits are co-ordination, fitness, power, speed and focused aggression. Let's face it, it's better than punching thin air.

May as well go heavy and strengthen your arms and hands too. I'm quite proud of the fact those bags go a lot further when I hit them, aged 17 than when most adults hit it, approaching with gloves on and desperately trying to connect with a decent punch on a swaying target. I think you'll find spending some time on a punchbag will do you wonders.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

err... sending the bag swinging around when you punch it doesnt mean you hit hard. it means you push.

5. jon-m

jon-m New Member

Go for the hard one, builds functional strength, conditions the wrists, hands etc. Great for power kicking!
    Get a light one and you'll end up running around after it.. no fun!

6. That is what a Sidepunch does. ;)

Every jab, hook and cross does it send it in circles.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  7. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

I know light punching bags would fly around if you hit it hard. But he wants to buy 180cm bag (5ft 9in.) Its kind of large in size and won't fly around much when you hit it. But if its too hard, it would just rather stand still if you hit it, and you risk of getting injured its greater.

But its really depends on your built Bob. If you kind of tall and large (I'm not saying fat Ok?? :D :D ) then a harder punching bag might be more appropriate for you.

What's your height and weight?

8. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Get a hard one as they get a little softer once you give them a good beating.

9. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

6 foot, 98kg. At the moment I have a 4 foot approx 35-40kg bag, it's a pain to use, it's all over the shop.

10. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

I disagree, a hard punch may or may not send the bag swinging. Although pushing most certainly will.

11. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

Yep, you need bigger bag. Definitely 180cm which should go around 65-70kg is good for you. How hard is the bag that you want to buy? If its sand-filled hard I still suggest to you not to buy it.

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i thought we were talking about heavy bags. if its a REAL heavy bag, and you arent mike tyson, you are not going to send it flying unless you are pushing when you punch, or if you do it on purpose (i.e. keep hitting it when it reaches the apex of the swing so it goes a little further each time)

13. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

Thanks for the advice.
    I bought the heavy hard bag that weighs in at (on my home scales) 70kg.
    I bear hugged the thing out of the store into my ute (a workout on its own). I had a big session on it this arvo, and loved the fact I wasn't chasing the ******* all over the garage.

Reminded me of that ole right handed wrist injury I had in my boxing days.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you're practising side-punch on a heavy bag then no wonder you think your TKD is not street-effective: what's the point? Pattern moves are not necessarily sparring moves; sparring moves are not necessarily SD moves.

Mitch