Bag work progression.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Matt F, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Some bagwork rounds from the end of two recent sessions at a local gym.
    11 months after ACL reconstruction on my right knee. Lots to improve on still.
    First takes, unscripted, warts and all.
    Using the clips as motivation to try to be better each time.

Knee Rider, Mitch and axelb like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thanks for posting matt, it's always good when MAPpers post videos.

You say you are using the videos the improve and have lots to work on, so what do you see that needs improvement?

liero likes this.
  3. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Everything can be improved.
    For now specifically I would like more right long knee/ punch combos and a better right round knee. I think there's apprehension with putting too much impact on the knee, that I need to get over.
    More work rate. ( to be fair to myself I film at the end of the session...iv already worked hard). So even more fitness.
    Sharper jab. More work going right.

Knee Rider likes this.
  4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

You're falling into your right hand a bit much IMO. It tends to make it too short or turn it into an overhand. Try a few more one-twos where you keep your head back and stay on balance.

Knee Rider and Travess like this.
  5. Simon

Are you looking for critique?

Do you do any pad work, in addition to the bag work?

6. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Yea, I could do with throwing more longer range rights. There's a few right variations depending on how your posted or set at the moment. I'm mostly going for throwing a going back out right cross...leaving on the right cross. Not saying I'm getting it how I'd like though.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I only looked at the punching vids because I'm not a kicker. A different camera placement would help because you fall out of the frame or get blocked by the bag too much for a fair reading. But in the part I can see, you seem to be leaning into the cross almost every time. That's a no-no. Also, your left hook seems to start below your shoulder, rather than at your chin level. That is, you seem to be dropping your hand before firing the hook. That's a no-no. (For a hook to the body, bend your knees. Your fist will then be at the right height.)

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

The increased weapons of kickboxing make changing the elevation of your head significantly in order to throw strikes ill advised. From that perspective it's not necessarily something you would do on the hook due to the chance of knees or kicks cracking your cranium. Obviously the trade off is you are momentarily open to the counter punch.

Deffo agree on the cross.

9. Simon

One of the things I'd change is what I call "hunting with the eyes".

You lean into range from the waist and this drops the head into range of your opponent.

The fix is to stand upright, then soften the knees. This "phasic bent knee stance" needs to be maintained at all times and the feet then do the work of getting you in range and not the leaning forward of the head and shoulders.

This is why I ask about the pad work. A good pad holder would erase this mistake.

This stance also eliminates the rounding and leaning of the rear shoulder when throwing the rear cross that others have mentioned.

Hannibal likes this.
  10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Not looking for critique no.
    Would rather see similar bag work from anyone wanting to though.
    Just a motivator.
    It's personal training time so just bagwork after a bit of bike, 5k run, and shadow.

axelb likes this.
  11. neems

neems Valued Member

Your back hand is very short,which might not be a problem but it's not solid at all which is a big problem imo.

It has a lot less pop than your jab,I really think you need to go back to basics with that shot if you want it to be effective.

This video might help if you haven't got a coach to teach it properly.

12. Simon

That's cool, but I'd beware of bag work after a workout like that, as bad habits creep in and you are then effectively de-training.

Hannibal likes this.
  13. Simon

Some good points, but I don't like the way he leaves his rear foot in the bucket.

This will always have you reaching for the target and cause that rounding of the rear shoulder.

Bring the rear foot forward a few inches, body remains upright, balance is spot on and power increases through better mechanics.

Mushroom likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Same problems as me mate. I don't have enough rangel on my right hand. Turns out you need to step out on your left foot and THEN throw it. It's difficult when you're tall though.

I'll video myself on a bag too and post it for critique

axelb, Mushroom and Simon like this.
  15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Didn't realize that. Thanks. :)

16. neems

neems Valued Member

You mean you think he should step in with his rear foot as he throws the shot?

17. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

This makes me want to video myself on a bag. I'm in the process of moving at the moment, but hope to have my bag set back up within a week or so.

Simon likes this.
  18. Simon

Yes I do.

Here is a video I did a few years ago to answer another question asked on MAP.

Morik and Hannibal like this.
  19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He should turn it over more - he also keeps his head "centred". Ideally the cross should take you offline as you throw it (or "surf the channel" as i call it when teaching)

Simon likes this.
  20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Like Bulldog does in the above video

Simon likes this.