Badges, patches, stripes and what-not...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smokemare, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

PASsmith, there's a difference between patches and paid advertising....

2. Kwajman

I DID laugh when I saw the uniform.......

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh.

I was only responding to this part.

It seems the more higher ranked you are the less it matters what your uniform looks like.

That bloke's pretty highly ranked I feel. :)

4. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

I absolutely agree. And having paid advertising cover your uniform is just as bad, if not worse. In The Book of Five Rings, Musashi Miyamoto decries those who would sell out their warrior training for mere money. He is contemptuous of them.

5. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Which Korean flag?
    Are you Korean?

6. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Patches...

Sir,

In response to your questions, we wear the patch of the Republic of Korea, Tae Guk Gi!

As we are a school of the USA we wear the flag of the U.S. on the right shoulder closest to our heart. We allow an alternate nation to be displayed on the right shoulder for those students that have ethnic backgrounds outside the United States.

Regarding the wearing of the Republic of Korea flag, our Taekwondo is straight from Korea. We still do all our promotions through our Kwan or origin, and do not answer to any other governing body. Accordingly, we represent Korean Taekwondo!

TAE-KWON!
    Spooks

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I love flair. BJJ suits me very well because I can pimp my gi and no one cares.

But I wouldn't like it nearly as much if it were required.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  8. oldyonkyu

oldyonkyu Valued Member

I have 3 full gi/doboks and an extra pair of pants, all white with no patches. I see no issue with a school or style patch though. It is rather an eyesore to me when I see a uniform that exceeds tacky though.

(If I start my own style and proclaim myself the supream ultimate grand high master and Soke, I want a uniform made of faux leopard with Gold trim and a velvet painting of a tiger on the back and dayglow green dragons on each leg of the pants.)

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Everyone in my style will wear a luminous-green skin-tight lycra thong.

Patches are optional.

10. Kwajman

To the front or backwards..... :rolleyes:

11. Hutchey

Hutchey Valued Member

LOL!! True though.

I've not been a fan of loads of badges but have just recently decided we should have a club badge - not sure again now reading this!

I'm with you on the new doboks Mitch - I thought they were too flashy as well. Plus I thought a leg stripe was reserved for 4th Dans and above.

12. miles

miles Valued Member

We have the Chung Do Kwan patch over our heart and our school logo on the back of our doboks.

No stripes on black belts though I give a ceremonial belt with the student's name in English and Hanguel on one side and the school name on the other. At second dan, they get a plain heavy-duty workout black belt which is what most of us wear.

We've had the privilege to host on several occasions GM Park, Hae Man, one of the world's most senior Taekwondoin. He wears a plain black belt.