Badges, patches, stripes and what-not...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smokemare, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I agree with Youngman68.

I mean look at this guy's badges. I bet his level of technique is appalling. :)

[​IMG]

2. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

I stand by my statement. I've seen many people whose uniforms were covered with patches and whose technique was, shall we say, unimpressive. It shouldn't be about patches anyway. I would think an organizational patch would be sufficient. After that, it becomes an ego thing.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

For a lot of the guys being shown the badges/patches are sponsorship patches. The athlete is being paid money to wear them.

If your suit is covered in patches you have paid money to wear, the dynamic and implication is slightly different.

Mitch, in association with Timothy Taylors Landlord, Britains finest Pale Ale.

4. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

I wear only two things on my white TDK uniform: one patch that has a TDK logo on it (which I bought with the uniform) and my name written in Korean Hangul in black permanent marker next to the collar below my neck.

After that, I prefer no patches. :)

Besides, I figure plain white is easier to wash, anyhow. ;)

5. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I tried to avoid this controversy by training in underwear only but the whole boxers vs. briefs reared it's head. Plus plaid vs. plain. Switched to b-day suit, but even then the circumcised vs. uncircumcised became an issue. There is just no escaping the controversy of what to train in. Going to have to quit I guess... ;)

6. Mitch

Gah! 2 gallons of mind bleach, stat!

Mitch

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I just realised I should state that I thanked aaron mag's post for the chuckle it gave me, not for the mental image of him in the buff.

Pass the bleach, Mitch.

8. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

You know I didn't think about it too closely either when typing. Now I need some of that mindbleach myself...

9. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

When y'all are done with the mindbleach, can you share with one more?

10. TKDGUY76

TKDGUY76 Valued Member

That's awesome. It takes true determination to stand by your position in the face of contrary evidence. You should consider politics.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

12. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

I dont mind a couple of patches on the uniform. Have at least the organization and school. You should be proud of who you are a part of. I certainly agree with Thomas, it has a bit of quality control as well. While I dont believe in embrodered gup rank belts I do believe in the black belts havin the name, name of org., official rank, and name of grandmaster.

13. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

It seems like sport-oriented martial arts tend to have more patches than traditional martial arts. TKD is the sport version of the 8 (9?) Kwon arts...hence you see their uniforms with a little more decoration (patches, colored piping, ect). Maybe a TKD guy's dojang belongs to both the ITF and WTF (are those accurate acronyms?). If they are at a large tournament, it would behoove them to represent both patches since high-ranking officials from both groups will be there (as a sign of respect to them). Same thing with sport judo and sport SAMBO. Or, some martial arts just lean toward that. No biggie.

Now, if your from a traditional Japanese martial art...where the cultural and art's tendencies typically lean toward simplicity...someone rocking a bunch of patches can be alerting. In my aikido dojo, we typically only make a deal about wearing our patch during tests and seminars. When I travel to non-affiliated dojo, I typically wear a sanitized white dogi and belt just to ensure I'm not creating any political waves.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My GM wears a white uniform with an american flag patch on it to show his loyalty to the US. Other than that you wouldn't know how good he is except for his black belt.....It seems the more higher ranked you are the less it matters what your uniform looks like.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This man would disagree I feel. :)

[​IMG]

16. Mitch

Oh man...

Funnily enough my Enshin gi has more badges on it than my TAGB TKD one has. Neither is exactly ornate mind you.

Mitch

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've heard through the grapevine an Enshin club is opening in York this Monday.
    Might check it out myself. :)

18. Mitch

I think one of the guys who trains at Loughborough travels all the way from York to do so and is teaching/about to teach there. I haven't asked the details but I'll check.

Can't hurt to go look can it? :)

Mitch

19. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Patches and Stripes...

In our dojang we follow a general structure, according to rank.

Patches:

Geup Ranks
    School Patch on Left Chest
    Korea Flag on Right Chest
    American Flag on Left Shoulder
    Other National Flag on Right Shoulder for International Students

Dan Grade
    The same as above, except Asst. Instructor or Higher may wear the Seal of Daehan Taekwondo Ohdokwan

TAEKWON!
    SPookster

20. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

Seriously? If I saw someone wearing that getup I'd have to force myself not to laugh or snicker. Nice uniform! :rolleyes: