Badges, patches, stripes and what-not...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smokemare, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

I've been browsing some TKD school websites and it strikes me that some schools seem to really go to town on the decorating their uniforms thing...

Now, I've heard it said that the more badges and what-not the uniform has the less credibility a club has. I'm not saying I agree with that mind, I think it's an unfair sweeping statement - what is everyone else's opinion on the matter?

As a point of reference, I have two uniforms, one white with the black stripes for Dan grade, and one small PUMA logo on the front, and the standard ITF one on the back. The other one is black and has no markings on it at all, it doesn't even say what art I'm training - that's the one I usually train in. The white one is for gradings, comps and seminars only.

How important is it to label yourself as belonging to an organisation? Do you consider yourself as belonging to an organisation or being more, 'currently affiliated to' your organisation? Do you think more badges = more/less credibility ? What does it say about an organisation to YOU?

I remember back in the earlier days of the TAGB a standard black-belt grading question that used to get bandied about was "What should a 6th tenet be?" I think generally it was hoped you would say 'loyalty' in the absence of some clever philosophical answer... Now at the time I accepted this - but now my instructor left the TAGB, and hence when I rejoined I joined my instructor rather than the organisation. In that position it was not really feasible to remain 'loyal' in both respects. I had to get as much information as I could about the situation and make a judgement.

My feelings now are that loyalty is terrible suggestion for a 6th tenet. If an organisation is wrong for you - you should leave. If an instructor is not treating you as he/she should, then you should leave.

The implication of the 'loyalty' tenet is that you should stay, even though there is a REASON to leave, despite that reason.

I know when the local sub-organisation left TAGB, members were warned once they were out they would not be allowed to rejoin. They were told all about the ills of the organisation which they were going to join and some stayed TAGB, splitting clubs up.

I suppose loyalty can be a worthwhile and honourable tenet if the reason to leave is one of a certain type. For example, if an instructor who was a good instructor but for whatever reason required some help in running the clubs - then that is a different matter.

Complicated...

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have a TAGB/TKDI logo on the back of my dobok and TAGB on the back. It has black collar trim. That's it and that's how I prefer it, I like plain uniforms. There are new TAGB doboks coming out now with extra trim, I don't like them much tbh, a bit flash for my tastes, but it's only a training suit at the end of the day.

My main gripe with them is that they are too lightweight for the grappling I like to do.

I think the multiplicity of badges is usually where clubs give badges for specific achievements; students end up with patches down their sleeves or whatever for attendance, a particular kick etc. I'm not a fan of this kind of thing but I can see how it could be a motivational tool for kids, a la boy scouts badges.

As for students being unable to rejoin TAGB, who told them that? There has been an example of exactly the kind of situation you mention, in a very similar area, where the club went to PUMA with their Instructor. The Instructor lost interest in the club and within a few months it rejoined TAGB and was run by one of his former students. A number of students had moved back to TAGB via other clubs in the area in the meantime anyway.

Mitch

3. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

When I was a kid I loved the patches. We had the organization patch (red fist), the ITF patch, and the flags. And I just loved having all the patches. When we left the ITF I was DEVASTATED to take off the patch. Not because I knew anything about the ITF, but because it was ONE LESS PATCH!!!! :) Kids love that kind of stuff.

I agree that 'Loyalty' as the 6th tenet is absolutely terrible. A few people in my organization will raise up a sixth finger and wait for people to chime in 'Loyalty!'. I have no idea where this came from. From what you mention it appears it came from the internet, because I'd never heard it until recently and I've been around longer than most.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The 6th tenet should be cojones. We have more than enough moralising in TKD, usually preached by men whose own behaviour would fall pretty short of any mark I'd want to assign for myself.

What we're missing is the heart, the guts, the vitals that makes the difference between doing something and doing it with intent.

Cojones ftw :D

Mitch

5. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

Yeah, but that would be covered by Indomitable Spirit.... which is probably the most overlooked tenet in tenets-ville.

(Dave Oliver asked me that when i went for my 2nd Degree!!)

what about ' appreciation' for a 6th tenet.....

Our kids love patches, it's like them getting a medal

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't see any benefit to patches and stuff, but on the other hand, I don't see the harm. It was probably to appease the younger members of a club and also for brand recognition (so a nine-year-old taekwondoin would tell his/her friends "I do taekwondo at Mr. Kim's Taekwondo!" not just "I do Taekwondo!"

For adults, there's absolutely no benefit, and I think it looks a bit silly, but there's no real harm either. White pajamas with patches aren't any more arbitrary than white pajamas without patches, right? I wouldn't write off a school solely because there's a few patches on the dobok.

7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Ive got 4 uniforms coz its easier when you train several times a week.
    2 black with red trim as per association rules with the association badges chos patch & aimaa patch on front and an aimaa one on the back,
    and ive got 2 white WTF types one with no badges and one with a solitary aimaa patch.

The badges are what differs your group from others just like footy teams need different colours

8. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

The master of the busy uniform (lots of graphics) is the BJJ uniform...

Here is a very non-extreme example: http://www.karatedepot.com/un-jj-66.html

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The more badges a BJJ gi has the better the fighter in it. The same is true of tattoos. These are immutable laws of the universe.

10. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

only if there done in indian ink with a blunt nib, iv heard:)

im not keen on overbadged uniforms although I do like the shoulder and thigh strips on the addidas dobooks, wtf of course, but then again ive always prefered The ITF uniform as more traditional looking then the shirt style.

kamau

11. Dikzzz

Dikzzz Valued Member

:) Like it mate.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

When training or teaching my regular classes I don't wear a uniform. A simple t-shirt and gi pants combo does it for me. Same goes for my team of instructors and our students. No uniform, no belts, no patches. We have a few students from other clubs who cross-train with us and like to wear their uniforms, which is fine; whatever makes 'em comfortable. We stand in a circle instead of lines so there are no "rank" issues i.e. who stands where.

When teaching seminars I wear a polo shirt with my name on, gi pants and TKD shoes.

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Generally I don't mind an organizational patch and possibly a flag patch on a uniform.

The organizational patches can help students feel like they "belong" to the group (especially at the lower levels) and can also instill a bit of pride at tournaments and such like that. I really don't go for the "award" patches or such in general. I think that a small patch or two can make uniforms look smart but more than that make them look "too busy".

In Taekwondo class, I like to wear a full uniform since that's what we ask of students. Part of having them wear a full uniform with proper patches and colors and such is to help build a bit of attention to detail and pride in what they are doing. (Again, without overdoing it).

In Combat Hapkido, with all adults and a more "self defense" theme, I usually wear a full uniform but may also wear just a teeshirt and training pants. It's a little less formal with adults. At seminars we don't wear full uniforms and no belts are worn.

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

As far as stripes go, I don't mind them on belts. We have always had them on our Taekwondo belts and recently added them to our Hapkido belts (as our numbers have grown).

On the one hand, I don't really care to "broadcast" my rank around with stripes on my belt (I prefer a plain black belt) but at the same time it does create a semblance of quality control... we also put our Master's name on the belt, so everyone can who he has promoted to what level. So if you see someone from our school, you know it's our school and what rank they hold... it encourages our black belts to represent the school well.

16. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

When I get in the cage I'm actually contemplating sewing a patch that says 'black belt punches' on my fight shorts, and then kicking my opponent in the head once he's noticed it :evil:

17. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

I have one Kukkiwon-style uniform with nothing on it, although I'm certainly not averse to an organization patch or that and a flag patch. My general rule: the number of patches is inversely proportional to the level of technique.

18. TKDGUY76

TKDGUY76 Valued Member

Stereotyping is always a plus -- do it whenever possible.

19. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Everyone who makes a sweeping statement is a bad person. Fact.

I usually train in some dobok trousers and a t-shirt (a TKD t-shirt), especially if it's a sparring session, or a self defence session.

If the session is patterns based, then it's my 'best' dobok. Which has an ITF badge on one breast and my association badge on the other breast. I just 'feel' smarter when doing patterns in this. When I'm wearing the t-shirt & old trousers combo, I feel less formal.

20. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

These two disagree

[​IMG]