Bad Video quality but good Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by taoizt, Sep 25, 2007.

1. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSRYFjcsT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSRYFjcsT4[/ame]

This is Guru Turpijn (Setia Hati Madium) and his students, demo from the Netherlands in the 70's. His style is not the same as Setia Hati practiced now, but nevertheless, you can see the quality of the players (you can see Guru Turpijn at 00:17 and at 5:32). There is another video link of him as well on the same page.

He was a feared and admired player in Holland during the 70's till 90's.

2. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Hi Taoizt,

Had already encountered this old video's. Really from the good old days, it makes me wonder what happened to all those fellows from the previous generation. My teacher has some old video from Olah Raga probably from the same period (need to get copies) Contrary to the present day Olah Raga one could actually see there were pesilat2 in competition and not just any MA....

Are you going to Roermond next sunday?

SY, Pekir

3. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Hello Mas Pekir, Some of them are still around. My father (Madiun, circa 1940 - 50's) generally works his kebun these days ... but occassionally succumbs to the temptation to teach me a lesson ... or two.

Salam,
    Krisno

4. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Hi Mas krisno,

Luckily those elders are still around, I was referring to their students. Some talented guys have disappeared from the face of the earth. Like some of my co-students did....

Salam,
    Pekir

5. Moridin2

Moridin2 Valued Member

6. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Taoizt & Moridin2,

Thank you for posting these old school video's! Man I love this stuff and do I ever remember training on those hardwood gym floors!

Thanks again and if anyone else has any golden oldies then please post them.

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

7. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Hi,

You're welcome. Sadly there are not a lot of older movies available on youtube (yet). There is more on kungfu then on silat. If you look closer at the movements of Guru Turpijn you see a little bit of the degree of finesse in his movements. Slowly moving and then suddenly speeding up and afterward slowing down again. (also seen in the movie 1 on youtube at 6:50) There's still a lot to learn.....