Bad News About Gatoraid Drinks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bellator Manus, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Appearntly, one of the scout masters at my little bro's boyscout den has found out about a new study. The citric acid in will erode your teeth. I thought, no big deal, Cokes (Where I'm from Coke refers to all soft drinks) have a strong acid and it hasn't seemed to have a huge effect on the populus. So I was wondering if someone had a link to the study, and also what they think of the appearent effects of the acid?

2. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

I'm sure it's no worse than the colours and everything else in them. Anything processed has crap in it that's bad for you. You have to weigh the good against the bad or only ever drink water. And then do you drink tap water? Or spring water to avoid the impurities in tap water? But then, if you only drink spring water then there's no fluoride in it and your teeth will rot. And what about limescale?

Aaarargggghhhhh! We're all gonna die!

;)

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Cokes and the like have rotted peoples teeth for ages now, it's nothing new. Just gotta brush them enough to compensate.

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Meh, EVERYTHING errodes your teeth. Hence we brush our teeth.

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

But too much brushing erodes your teeth too :)

6. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i think your refering to a test that happened quite a while back where a tooth was kept in coka cola overnight and by mornign it was completely dissolved.
    Also in the hospital by me someone pored coffe and coke into the sink so the ground up coffe beens absorbed the coke and was left in teh steal sink over night, by morning it had dissolved right through th steal sink. Coke is a very acidic but drinking it and swallowing straight away isnt goign to dissolve all your teath

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Coke is not THAT acidic, those claims are total myths. Erode a steel sink? haha.

Gatorade and anything similar is always going to be slightly acidic. You should only be drinking them during or post-workout anyway, otherwise it's pretty much one of the worst things you can put into your body. I see people drink them all the time just walking around or at work - lame.

8. Svarog

Svarog New Member

It helps if you drink a glass of water over 'sports' drinks. Also green tea is very beneficial for teeth.

9. LI GUY

LI GUY New Member

And don't forget all that acid in our stomachs!!!!!!!!!
    You just may wake up with a hole in your gut one day!

10. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thatd just be a bummer, you know i mean....

11. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

except for the fact that our stomachs are full of acid neway and can tollerate it :D

12. CX Imran

CX Imran Valued Member

When in doubt, drink water!

13. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

our stomach acid can erode metal nails

14. Ad McG

Yeah, the stomach contains hydrochloric acid, amongst other things, but the coke would rot you to pieces! :rolleyes:

15. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

This is why it's important to eat vegetables which tend to be alkaline to help balance out the acidity we gorge ourselves on.

16. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Like someone already said here before, anything processed is crap for you. Processed=bad mojo in there. Don't worry about it. People drink all sorts of garbage and they're fine. I know people who drink cokes and pepsis all day long every day and their teeth are fine. Just brush 2-3 times a day and floss and you'll be fine. Water tends to be my favorite drink though...:D

17. Ad McG

Wonderful phenomenon isn't it? All the people drinking and eating garbage all day, not getting much exercise, getting fat etc. yet they live on into their pension years... How could it be? Could it be that all these health "facts" in the newspapers and everywhere else aren't as important as they would have you think? NEVER!

The flipside is, I am generally a pretty healthy person, aside from the odd binge drinking session and my obsession with certain crappy foods! I enjoy being healthy, and I enjoy feeling better than a lot of other people who "can't be bothered". I have plenty of friends who live very unhealthy lifestyles, but are happy as Larry and doing fine, but I like my way to.

Too much of anything is bad for you - A good motto, but also one that I don't always live by!

18. Bellator Manus

I know a lot of things we drink are acidic, but I was wondering if Gatoraid is abnormally bad because on the ingreediants, Citric acid is the 3rd one listed. ahh, but anyway,

Why is Gatoraid that bad for you?

19. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Citric acid is also found in the horribly unhealthy food known as an orange.
    Ya know, a piece of fruit.

Tea contains tanic acid, etc. ad nauseum.

Stupidity and urban legends abound because it is easier than actualy seeking knowledge and learning.

Just know this-Life is unhealthy, it leads to death.

20. Bellator Manus

Well, duh. Please give me some credit, I know citric acid is in a lot of fruits.