Backwards form.

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by cheesypeas, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Rockland

Rockland Valued Member

A question is a search for knowledge. If you understand something, I'm not sure why you would ask. If you don't know something, or you require clarification, I would think that the opportunity to refine your understanding is worth the risk of losing respect. Again, though, I can't imagine any teacher losing respect for someone who is interested in learning.

To me, the form is merely a way of piecing together the fundamental movements. Rigidly adhering to the form for the form's sake, without understanding the pieces that make up the form (forward, backward, inside out, or whatever) does a student a disservice. But of course, that is my opinion.

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Personally I don't see any point to backwards form from a tai chi chuan perspective. It strikes me as being a silly idea and a waste of time and effort better spent, in my opinion. .

Practicing your postures and movements both left and right side. mirror form - I see the point. Though I only ever took my mirror form up to the end of first section. Beyond that i decided just to break it down to doing the single postures or movements to both sides - at least the ones I like to train more than others.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009