Back to the iron

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sketco, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

So in the past year I've definitely slacked on my fitness I'm planning to get back to the gym and regain the 15 pounds or so of muscle I lost.

Thus far what I have planned is alternating workouts of:
    Workout A:
    Squats - 5x5
    Bench press - 5x5
    Deadlifts - 1x5

Workout B:
    Squats
    Bent over rows - 5x5
    Reverse crunches - 3x11 (+1 each workout)

I've never been good at incorporating stretching into my workouts except for dynamic at the beginning. Should I dedicate one day to passive stretching or leave it alone entirely for now and focus on the weights?

EDIT: also forgot to mention that I'll have a four wing chun class on each of those days.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Can I make one suggestion? How about adding military presses somewhere and pushups to workout A as a finisher?

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Sure! The military press I'm ashamed to say I forgot about this time around! Pushups I thought I might leave out since my shoulders and associated area tend to get very taxed from the hour of pak sao I usually go through at wing chun but maybe if I limit them instead of 3 sets to failure this time around.

4. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

EXACTLY my thought! GREAT way to finish off a good solid workout like workout A.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Your body will thank you later if you take the time to do some stretching after a hard workout. Not only does it reduce muscle soreness but there's been quite a few studies suggesting that stretching after a strength training session will also improve strength gains as well.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Your program looks like a standard power lifting set-up which is great if that is what you are interested in. Are you following something like strong lifts and where are you starting (since the suggestion on there is to start from an empty bar in general). Just interested as I just started something similar for the first time in my life not that long ago).

Thanks.

LFD

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Basically following a mix of strong lifts and 5x5. They're essentially the same thing anyway. I had good results with 5x5 in the past. Going to start at empty bar for everything except deadlifts. I lost a lot of muscle over the past year. Yay fast metabolism.

And basically I'm interested in getting my basic raw strength back after a year of bad diet, bad sleep, and sometimes too much or too little exercise.

8. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I am going to start a 5x5 program soon.

DAY 1 – PULL

Deadlifts or Power Cleans
    Barbell Rows, Dumbbell Rows, or Wide Grip Chins
    Barbell Curls, Close Grip Underhand Chins, or Hammer Curls

DAY 2 – PUSH

Incline or Flat Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press
    Barbell or Dumbbell Shoulder Presses
    Tricep Dips or Close Grip Bench Press

DAY 3 – LEGS

Front or Back Squats
    Barbell or Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Calf Raises (3x12) - only if a seriously lagging bodypart
    Weighted Crunches or Weighted Hanging Leg Raises (3x12)