Back to shape from an injury

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by sh31kk1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

The flu has been trying to get to me, but I haven't given into it at any point. Unfortunately it's been a pain, because it just keeps bothering me and i'm stuck in the "recovery" phase of a sickness. But in any case it has been sort of good, cause I have been walking quite a lot to rejuvenate my back. is coming along quite good I believe.

2. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Didn't do much today. Just some shoveling of snow and lots of brain work so to speak. But I did get a new sets of tapes stuck on my back. The new "design" of these tapes are working.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. reconnoiter

reconnoiter Valued Member

Has the condition with your back improved in the past few weeks noticeably?

4. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

I can lead a "normal" life at the moment, but there are several things out of bounds for me still. For example, running and skipping are a no-no still. Also afraid to try chin-ups or pull-ups, because the last time I tried them, I almost fried my back with pain... However, it seems that to doing normal chores and walking has indeed rejuvenated my back slightly and it allows me to function well body weight exercises. Weights are still out mostly. I was stupid enough to believe in the beginning that I could handle weights, but I what can I do about my stupidity now? Hindsight is always the sharpest sight... But what I am surprised about is these tapes. They are not for everyone, because they can get extremely itchy, plus the taking them out part (pretty sure that there will be no hair on my back, or hasn't been any since the second time i got the tapes on). The tapes do take away the pain from my lower back, thus help me keep my posture good. But that's just my personal experience.

Did this help answer your question at all? I know I went off a tangent there somewhere, but still...

5. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Okay, the day was rather slow, lots of braniac work today. Managed to squeeze in side planks and a regular one.
    However I've been provoked by a certain warlord, and I have answered his call and shall take part of the challenge he has issued out. Its a four day struggle which must be overcome. Its sort of an inside thing. Its sweet. Let's see how it goes

6. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Okay, first day of the challenge is gone, only slightly hungry at the moment. Considering that I've spent at least three times as much calories as to which i've digested them. Is good for me i suppose. If I wasn't clear enough previously this challenge will also help me shed away body-fat. A funny way to check out where you have body fat is the arnold jiggle-test. You go infront of a mirror and take off your shirt. Flex and proceed jump there for 30 seconds. If it jiggles, its fat. Wasn't happy with what i saw, thus I accepted the challenge.

But back on topic. Today I did Bas Ruten's All Around Workout, Routine 1. Got a great sweat from it. I admit, I was a bit surprised that I was a bit out of shape for it during some parts... changing that as soon as possible.
    So that was roughly a thirty minute workout.

7. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Okay, So today all I did was the following

1minute and 30seconds of plank (facing floor)
    15x12kg kettle bell Mid Pulls
    1minute side plank
    1minute push-ups
    2minutes of standing with my legs bent at 90degrees. Back against wall (if anyone knows the name of this exercise, please tell me)
    1minute side plank
    15x12kg kb Mid Pulls
    and then roughly 5minutes of the 12kg kb exercises relating to upper-body (mostly arms and shoulders)

8. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Yesterday went for an hour walk and late at night decided to try if I still fry my back if I do chin-ups or pull-ups and to my great surprise I could :D It's a good sign in my books, considering that the previous time tried, I "fried" my back in pain and fell down...

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Many props to you. I've just had a couple of injuries myself, not as serious obviously, but I know what suck it is not to be able to train for weeks on end.

10. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Yeah, it is a pain, and a serious bother. Luckily though its all getting better. Went out and got myself a chin-up bar :D But i've been walking a lot this weekend. All was well until I realized that I seriously need to do my planks (or something similar) just about everyday, cause otherwise i'll feel it one way or another...

So if anyone has any exercises for the deep abdominals for me to try and get some variety into my training, well you ought to know that it is more than welcome!

11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I'm with you my back needs heavy core training. Check out 6footgeek's log Frodo put up a few links that deserve a look if your looking for abdominal exercises and information in general. I've incorporated a couple of them in my training the "dead bug" ones are quite good.

12. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Will definitely check 'em out

13. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Alright, today I did my planks and lots of stretching, by my books at least. Plus the random neck exercise...

14. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

My word, today realization dawned on me... I've gotten weak during my recovery period... I don't like it. But I feel a change coming to that soon.

1,2,3,4,5,2,2,2,3 =24 Chin ups/pull-ups (never know what to call them)
    3x15 Double Leg Lowering
    3x30 Frog sit-ups
    1x15x9.25kg & 2x15x11kg KB Mid-pulls
    3x15x12kg Goblet squats
    1x15x18.5 kg & 2x15x22kg BP

Did those exercises in a circuit. And I need to get more weights, or start going to a gym regularly. just a personal note... But still sort of disappointed by those chins... Used to be able to do 10 on a bad day.... Oh well, got to start somewhere, and after that five, I really couldn't do more than two. That last three were just exhausting xD

15. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

If your palms are facing you, it's a chin up, If your palms are facing away from you, it's a pull up, I just learned that myself. So which was it? cause it makes a difference. ;)

16. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

up till five it was chin-ups, then I tried to go down from there (4,3,2,1) by doing pull-ups but I failed... those last three are also chin-ups.

17. reconnoiter

reconnoiter Valued Member

Make sure not to swing or "jiggle" your body upwards. The exercise will be a lot more efficient, even if the result is a few less chin/pull ups, if you just attempt to pull yourself up. And remember to keep your legs straight.

I know from personal experience when pushing the body to the limit and wanting to make the last few exercises, I (my body, I try to fight against it :D) tend to make the last movements funky to help myself up, but I try to avoid this.

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Reverse your exercise by doing the pull ups first because they are harder you will be able to do more reps. Good Luck

PS: You can try what I've been doing, I do as many pull ups as I can and then use a box or chair stand on it and do it from the up position let yourself down as slowly as possible. Then on a different day do as many pull ups as you can and then do as much of one as you can and static hold it as long as you can. Here is a link to a goofy guy, this is where I got it.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

19. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Thanks for the support guys.

Well today I did something a bit different. I went with my sister (I am trying to get just about everyone I know to try MA) to fitness boxing's birthplace, some people might know this as "boxexercise" as well. Basically its BW workout, with a bag and partner. Its great fun. And sweaty. An hour well spent sweating and teaching sister about the joys of MA. I'm pretty sure that soon I shall have her completely converted... if she quits volleyball, which I doubt, cause she is good.

There was a surprisingly a lot of core exercises there. I picked up an interesting one there today. They called it "The Hoover". Basically make a plank, and then start twisting your hips from side to side. As if making an arch with your bum and hips. Effective. Go ahead and give it a shot. Is something fun, trust me on this one ;)

20. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Three rest days now. Went to donate some blood and due to a certain unfortunate event I have lost one night worth of sleep, thus I decided to keep today as well as a rest day.