Back to Basics

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

1. Balance and an understanding of motion. Alot of people will assume they can hop back out of range of a wild hay maker and step in with a push kick to counter if they so choose to.

However in sparring you realise just how much skill is required to quickly and efficiently move your body in the agile but stable way required for fighting.

Similarly the way most people move in sparring for their first time is un-co-ordinated and as such restricts their ability to attack with the fluidity, speed and power required for a truly succesful attack.

2. Spirit.

They must have the ability to get aggressive, and the coolness to react in a disciplined and pragmatic manner.

Personally I find that when older MAists talk about "spirit", what they are reffering to is often not a magical qualitie. But instead real mental virtue of courage and discipline that is required to succeed in the ferocious melee that is violence.

3. Live Varied Practise.

Lots of rolling and sparring, in different scenarios with different partners under different rules with different objectives, in different physical and mental states.

In one hour for me it is ideally, 15 minutes getting a small selection of techniques "right" with compliant drills, 30 minutes trying to apply them in various non-compliant drills, and a final 15 minutes of sparring/rolling; looking to apply said techniques.

The mentality behind that is simple.

"Fear not a thousand attacks trained once, but fear one attack trained a thousand times!" :woo:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Martial-Arts

Martial-Arts Valued Member

Well, I think...

I don't want to repeat myself, because it is a long article, but if you want to, you can visit my web site and read the article I wrote on self defense. It is called Survive a street fight, and it will give you some information that are going to help you in a real life combat situation.

I wish you all the best !!!

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yes and it includes this tip.

Once your opponent is on his knees, barely standing or just hurt, you can use some of those fancy kicks and show off for the girls.

All the best with that.