Back handsprings

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TKD, Jan 15, 2004.

1. TKD

TKD New Member

Okay, I've recently(within last 2 weeks) figured out how to do a genie flip as well as a front handspring. My new goal has become the back handspring.

Here's the thing, I'm encountering a problem in figuring out the body mechanics and where the hands have to land in comparison to where the feet were. With the front handspring I just took the falls and eventually figured it out, problem is, back handsprings are somewhat more painful when messed up than front handsprings.

Any advice you could give on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

THX, TKD.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Get a spoter thats the best advice anyone will give you. Learning on your own your going to develop unchangeable bad habit which you dont want. You can get this stuff in a week or 2 with someone that know what there doing. Anyway if you have a cam-corder record what your doing now, and i'll tell you whats wrong.

4. TKD

TKD New Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a camcorder. Anyway, my main problem is when I get onto my hands I basically just fall onto my stomach. My guess is, I'm putting my hands too close to where my feet were and am basically doing a verrrry crappy backflip but with my hands down.

5. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

That could be it, you might wanna check. Usually people won't make it over when they undercut a back handspring, well not unless your flexable in the back at least.

Preparing for back handspring is most important for beginnier. Make sure when you prep for it, squad down to a 90 degree chair and get up with your back straight. That power should naturally care you over, if your hands are placed somewhere behind where your foot was orginally placed.

Here are some link with some useful trick advice
    http://www.trickstutorials.com/mother_main.php
    http://planetjubei.com/

6. TKD

TKD New Member

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try next time I get the chance.

7. TKD

TKD New Member

Sweet, finally nailed it. It was the hands all along, thanks for the help Andy. On a side not, my mom has just informed me that our digital camera can take a minute and 3 seconds of movie:( This news comes when it is no longer a help though.

8. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Awsome. You never know tho, keep that camera in mind:p Now that once back handspring is learned you can connect with a lot of other fun stuff like BHS, back tuck, or chain of BHS, or round off BHS.