Back at it - my log.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Bigmikey, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh, I'm reading, I just wasn't sure what to post.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i r t3h read- plz to post moar kthx

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Do you mean Dorian YATES? It has to do with a few principles all at work simultaneously. In theory it's possible to build a quality physique wtihout using any weight other than bodyweight. A contractoin is a contraction regardless of whether you have a weight in your hand or not. Its all about getting the muscles to contract as long as possible and as hard as possible so that breakdown occurs. If you can do that in a single set then thats all you need to do.

Dorian had/has incredible mind/muscle connections and had figured out that all he really needed to create the type of muscular breakdown he needed to grow on could be achieved through a warm up set followed by a heavy set of 6-8 reps.

It's pretty unorthodox to say the least and I imagine most folks would crinkle a brow if their personal trainer recommended a similar style but it has merit. If you can imagine the muscle stress encountered if I asked you to pull a car 6 feet? Its the same basic principle. By not exhausting yourself on intermediate sets and after the warmup go straight to the heavy stuff you can, in theory, cause hyperPLASIA instead of simply hypertrophy.

Makes you think, doesnt it?

I've never tried it as I dont have the joints for it. Dorian said that he had a definite predisposition to being a large bloke. Genetically he had all his ducks in a row. Still, it brings to the table the short road to maxing-out. Essentially, each workout, Dorian took himself very close to maxing out.

4. Bigmikey

5. Bigmikey

Ok, tonight is Back, Biceps and some more shoulder work. I really enjoyed adding a little upright rowage at the tail end of the workout last time and plan to do that again. Also I will be adding some abs between sets of DB curls tonight. As always I'll post results live as they happen!!

Oh, forgot my soreness updates. It was odd. I did higher reps than usual last chest/tri workout and the soreness in my chest lasted pretty much through yesterday with just sliiiiiight tenderness remaining if I flex. Same goes for triceps only I have to flex harder to feel it. All in all it was fun to add those higher reps in there and I see myself doing that more often.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  6. Bigmikey

Alright then. Back, biceps, traps and shoulders... lets begin.

Pullups (goal today is as many sets as necessary to equal a total of 20 reps): 5, 5, 4.5 {feelings these a LOT in my biceps today for some reason. Wow}, 3, 4 = 21.5

Seated lat pulldowns: 130x13, 150x9, 170x6, 140x7
    Seated low pulley rows (short straight bar): 100x15, 120x13, 140x13 (using rest/pause), 160x11 (using rest/pause), 180x6

Seated incline dumbell hammers (my Favorite!): 30x12, 35x11, 40x7, 45x6
    Standing dumbell curls: 35x12

**DAmn, had to bail. Wife was shopping and my daughter needed to get picked up... ah well... **

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Interesting stuff, I've often noticed a difference in density (appearance, I don't go round poking bodybuilder) with age, younger dudes tend to have a less dense look and older BBers had a more mature dense look.
    I think it's especially noticeable these days with a lot of young talent breaking out on stage.
    Just my 2c.

I'm following along with great interest mikey!

I'm also curious how much stays in from your BB days, ie do you still throw some posing practise after a session or anything?

8. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I used to do 21's every 3rd week. It was tough going but the muscles felt so pumped full of blood it was unreal. Def not an every week exercise

9. Bigmikey

lol, oddly I still do hit a few poses now and then. Dont have the stamina to hit a full routine or any such thing - learned THAT the hard way, lol. But I can still throw up a not too shabby front double bicep or a hand on hip most muscular... for 3 or 4 seconds before I need to breathe again, lol.

10. Bigmikey

UPDATE: Well, as suspected. Since I needed to bail last night theres no noticeable soreness of any kind. Not that thats really a bad thing. In fact it guarantees i'll be able to blast chest and triceps with no hinderance from sore biceps or lats so I guess in that regard its ok. Still... I was looking forward to complaining about how sore my back was :( Sad now....

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

We need video evidence of this! :D :evil: :Angel:

12. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Yeah in was just curious, I always thought a bit of posing was a logical way to finish a session, really flush the blood in, I know a few big names used to advocate it.

Smash it up with chest today buddy!

13. Bigmikey

for YOU Frodo, I'll take a picture and send it to ya... I'll make sure I'm even wearing pants. It's the least I can do.

14. Bigmikey

Well, my schedule this week was thrown off by taking care of a sick wife. Last night, chest night, we spent in the Emergeny Room (I think all you folks from the UK call it A&E?). They admitted her but dont really know what the problem is. She presented with severe congestion, difficulty hearing, violent coughing, and adominal pain.

Today is Homecoming, a day of activities for Lexi at school to celebrate the return to the school year. There are parades, football games and a schnazzy dance all of which I will no doubt have to play shuttle driver for. So between that and seeing Jen I'm going to try to get in my workout. lol... wish me luck!

15. Osu BigMikey,

Sorry to hear that about your wife - I hope it is not too bad & that she fully recovers soon. :)
    I will keep both of you in my thoughts.

Osu!

16. Frodocious

Sorry to hear about your wife Mikey. Hope she's feeling better now.

17. Bigmikey

DANG IT!!!! LOGGED AN ENTIRE WORKOUT, HIT SUBMIT and *POOF* presto-magico its gone.... GGRRRRRRR!!!!

I worked out today, It was awesome.

18. Bigmikey

Lets see if I can remember the basic jist:

Flat bench:135x20, 185x20, 225x9, 275x5, 315x2
    Incline Bench: 155, 185, 205, 155
    Dumbell flies: 40, 45, 50

Skull crushers: 85x12,8, 75x8,7
    Tricep pushdowns: 69, 70, 80, 90

Upright rows: 95, 115, ......
    front raises
    Lateral raises

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  19. Frodocious

I hate it when that happens! If I write a long post, I usually try to copy it before I hit submit.

Glad you managed to get your workout in though! :)

20. Bigmikey

To make matters worse, I weight myself at the hospital yesterday.... ugh... down to 248!! This is wreaking havoc on my brain. I havent been this light in AGES! My goals of dropping to the 230's may very well never come to fruition if my meat marble doesnt get over it.