Ba Ting Gum training

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by kprz1337, Sep 17, 2005.

1. kprz1337

kprz1337 New Member

This is a type of iron body training that has dynamic movements. I just started practicing it and am not sure about the breathing. In the vid Lacy breathes hard in each movement with his mouth closed, growling a little. When I do it my throat starts to hurt by this breathing, any advice on breathing dynamically?

2. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Do you know the Mandarin name of this qigong? I've never heard of it before. If it's anything like most qigong then the throat should play as small a role as possible in the breathing. Breath from the lower abdomen, feeling the area beneath your navel expand downward as you inhale and inward as you exhale. This is the most basic breath in qigong, i.e. the natural or natal breath, but all the other breathing methods make use of the lower abdomen as the primary mover of the breath. There should be no tension in the throat or chest.

3. kprz1337

kprz1337 New Member

Thanks for the advice, This system was created by Fung Doe Duk teacher of the Five Elder monks. Theres no soft breathing, its all hard and you have to tense your muscels in each movement.

4. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I've checked out the webpage of the system I think you're referring to and am sorry to inform you that it is BS. It clearly gets its history from Kung Fu novels and the like. You should probably find a more legitimate qi gong teacher before you hurt yourself.

Also, whether it is "hard" or "soft" qigong and whether the breathing is relaxed or forceful, the breathing should always be done from the lower abdomen and not the chest or throat. Also, you should not be tensing your muscles unnecessarily when doing qigong. Muscle tension blocks the flow of qi, making it counter to the purposes of both hard and soft qigong. Certain qigong exercises may require tension in a local part of your body such as pressing the palms together, but there are no real qigong exercises in which you concsiously try to tense all your muscles as you perform a movement. If your throat hurts after doing qigong then you are definitely doing something wrong.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  5. kprz1337

kprz1337 New Member

Its not qi gong though, its a type of exercise. He showed a couple of things on the vid that proved its a real art.

6. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

You mean like breaking open a coconut with his hand? That's basically a parlor trick that someone who had done iron palm (a type of hard qigong) for six months could do. That doesn't make it a legitimate kung fu style and it doesn't make his training methodology correct.

If the breathing is an important aspect of the training then it is almost certainly a type of qigong... if the only goal was to toughen the hands then no breathing element would be necessary--just slap your hand on a bag until the nerves are dead. If the goal is to develop powerful striking power by increasing the amount of qi sent to the hand then that is a type of hard qigong and should be performed with proper qigong-type breathing.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005